Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Itching

Tags
dog
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  wishbone 
#1 ·
Our dog have been itching like crazy. She's been to the vet a few times for her itching. They gave her medication to help stop the itching twice and it worked but when she stopped the medication, the itching startd again. She's going to have an alergy test done in a couple weeks to see what she's alergic to.

I think it might be her food. She was on natrual balance but I wanted her on a senior (she's about 11 years old) dog food. The vet's office told me to put her on science diet. After reading so much about this food, I took her off science diet and started feeding her blue buffalo.

The vet's office said they don't think she has a food allegy. They think it's environmental and that switching her food before finding out what she's alergic to is a bad idea.

Why should I wait 2 weeks to try to help my dog from itching so much? I don't think changing her food is a big deal.

It's only been 3 days since I changed her food. If it is her food that is making her itch, how long before she should stop itching?

If it was environmental, I would think it would be seasonal and not year round.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bernice

See less See more
#2 ·
honestly senior dog food doesnt do anything , have you tested her for enviromental allergies ? it could also be something that shes eating that causes the allergies. Theres only one way to find out if its the food is trying diffrent ones after that check what ingredents they all have the same and start cutting it down fromt here say they all have chicken change to fish ect ect, when we had our boxer we werent sure what the itching was till we found out this was the cause she was allergic to her food so we used seafood for dogs, worked like a charm, Good luck :)

#5 ·
it can take a couple weeks but if u watch her scratching if shes scratching more change foods again, thats how we did it, also depending on your dog , our vet had recommended benadryl for children for our boxer, but youd have to ask your vet because it does depend on your dog.

#10 ·
I assume you are referring to what nibbler said, she stated senior dog food is not necessary it is marketing more than anything. However senior dog food does over all have a different content as for protein ratio.

If your dog was doing well on the food she was on and had no itching, and you switched and she started i would switch back. If it stops then you know that the food is the cause. Switching to science diet can do all sorts of bad things to your dog.

#9 ·
I would have to agree on what Nibbler said about trying a more seafood based diet, as seafood (particularly fish, but keep it mercury free!) has a lot more vitamin D, and the lack of vitamin D many humans and animals that stay inside the majority of the time have vitamin D deficiency- which can cause eczema. Other than that she may be allergic to grass, bedding, pollen, dust, dirt, etc. Just do what you can in correspondence with the tests you're getting her.

#11 ·
Poor dog, sending vibes here.

Better to get second vet opinion, or look for more expert vet to allergies. Hope it's just the food and not any internal illness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.