Itchy..Itchy...Paige is so Itchy! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rebel has some skin problems, he has lost most of the hair on his chest, I do believe it is growing back slowly but surely. I was using some of the 3V Caps (with the Oils and things in it) in his food and it seemed to help some. Claire has dry, flaky skin, which Rebel has also. I need to do something about them, I kinda feel your "pain" so to speak, hehe. Good luck!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys well I took Paige's collar off and she improved so I went and got her a leather collar and she isn't scratching at all!
But after some of you said that Eukanuba wasn't that good of a dog food I got a little paranoid(especially since that is what the vet told me to use, well that or Science Diet.) Anyway I did some research and also asked Cuda who is pretty knowledgable in dog care and found out that corn gluten and soy aren't good for dogs. I'm sure you all know this already I just wanted to let you all know I am not an uninformed idiot anymore!YAY!!!

So I changed her food and went ahead and took her off Chicken based food just in case it was a food allergy. Anyway I decided on 'Nature's Recipe' puppy lamb and rice formula, the ingredients are:lamb meal,ground rice,ground whole wheat, rolled oats, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried egg product, lamb digest, tomato pomace, flax seed, potassium chloride, and some other big words that I don't feel like typing(lazy today). Anyway if any of you don't think this is a good dog food please let me know. I can get better stuff on line such as 'Solid Gold' brand dog food but Casey doesn't like to have to order alot of stuff from the internet.

She is doing great and her coat is already starting to improve!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Miss New Booty

Hey Angela
That's great, I'm glad Paige is doing better!! Yes, I agree with everyone else on the foods issue. Oh I have heard of the food you listed, but I have never fed that before and am not too familiar with it. It sounds good, though. I feed my doggies Solid Gold and Natural Balance. Oh, I wanted to post this link for you... if you saw it already, sorry! It's the Solid Gold website where you can find a store locator near you, so maybe you wouldn't have to order it online?
http://solidgoldhealth.com/stores/
I typed my zipcode and found a bunch near me. If there is a PetCo nearby, they sell it, too.
I'm so glad Paige is doing better!!!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 09:03 PM

I'm so glad to hear Paige is doing better! Has she still been a good girl lately?

Btw, I'm not a fan of Eukanuba either.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaT
So I changed her food and went ahead and took her off Chicken based food just in case it was a food allergy. Anyway I decided on 'Nature's Recipe' puppy lamb and rice formula, the ingredients are:lamb meal,ground rice,ground whole wheat, rolled oats, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried egg product, lamb digest, tomato pomace, flax seed, potassium chloride, and some other big words that I don't feel like typing(lazy today). Anyway if any of you don't think this is a good dog food please let me know. I can get better stuff on line such as 'Solid Gold' brand dog food but Casey doesn't like to have to order alot of stuff from the internet.

She is doing great and her coat is already starting to improve!
I'm so glad you changed her food. Nature's Recipe is a good food for the $. We fed their Venison and Rice formula to our 3 for a long time, then we discovered that it had chicken fat in it (they changed it at some point) so we changed to Wellness Fish & Potato. My kids are lovin' it!

Glad her itchies are gone!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:32 AM

Quote:
especially since that is what the vet told me to use, well that or Science Diet
Most vets are given perks (usually monetary) to endorse these brands...especially Science Diet. I'm glad that you did your own research and went with a better brand.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Kittygurl- Thankyou so much for that link to the 'Solid Gold ' site I appreciate it infact it came up with a place right here in my town that I would never have thought of checking at! So I will call tomorrow.
Jodi- she is still doing great and being very awnry! but she has gotten so big I'll have to post newer pics when I get a chance.
Candycane- I figured that out after I did all the reading and research that I did, so I figured he must get so kind of perk.
Micki- unfortunately the lamb meal and rice formula that I am feeding still has chicken fat in it, but our petsmart is very limited on what they carry so I was just trying to find her something quick because she was refusing to eat her Eukanuba so I figured that the Nature's Recipe would be good enough for right now, but if I can I am going to put her on that 'Solid Gold' Hund and Flocken recipe for puppies.
Thanks guys for all your help!

Last edited by angelaT; 01-11-2004 at 09:59 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
Most vets are given perks (usually monetary) to endorse these brands...especially Science Diet. I'm glad that you did your own research and went with a better brand.
Just wanted to add in here that most vets don't study nutrition either. It's not a requirement in vet school and most just go with the 'mainstream' teachings and I'm 99% sure Hill's (makers of science diet and most of the prescription diets) give demonstrations, etc. during this as well. They just see it as acceptable. I work in a vet's office and I've read the ingredients to some of the prescription diets. No way would my pups get some of those!

Stephanie

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh cool Angela! I'm so glad you located a store near you! The food is great! That website helped out so much for us when we were searching for SG.

Yup, you guys are right about the vets, and selling Science Diet. I mean, I too, thought it was one of the best foods, since our vets sell it in the office, right? Well, then I researched all the foods and was told this *exact* same thing by many people. I was waiting in line at a specialty pet store, buying Solid Gold for my dogs, and there was a vet behind us in line. We all got to chatting and I noticed he was holding cans of Solid Gold for his cat! He said "Yup, we sell it (Science Diet) in our office, too, but I wouldn't feed that stuff to my cats!"

Micki- Wellness is a great food, too! I feed it to my kitties.

Can't wait to see some new pics of Paige, Angela! Glad she is doing so much better!

~* Jackie *~

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 01:42 AM

Hill's also provides seminars for pet store employees telling them how GREAT their food is. I had a friend who worked in a pet store and it was mandatory for her to go to their seminar.

(Pssst, Jade, did you have to remind me about the crappiness (is that a word?!) of the prescription foods? )
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 01:41 PM

I just went to my vet with the same thing for my Dog. It was dry winter skin, which the vet said is more common than you think and is 90% the reason for it in dogs in the winter, when it's the only symptom. Bathing with special dry skin shampoo (any groomer and Petco groomers have it as an option) helps, but bathing too often makes it worse. Hope all is well!
Melissa

Tags
ascorbic acid, choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dog food, dried beet pulp, folic acid, golden retriever, high quality dog food, pet store, puppy food, pyridoxine hydrochloride, quality dog food, rolled oats