itchy puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

itchy puppy

So my puppy messi is about 4 months old now, and is quite messy so I have to give him a bath often, I try to only use soap once and a great while but is probably still too often I am working on that.

He has always been mildly itchy, but in the last 2 days he has been itching constantly. He has little bumpy scabs on his belly! No loss of hair, very little spots.

I am wondering what could cause this? i have him on food that has no corn no wheat top ingredient meat, chicken.

Is their any food I can give him to up his oils? like egg or something? or put something in his bath water to make him less itchy?

he also threw up twice today, I think it may be that he drank too much water right after eatting as his puke was mostly food and water. And it was with in 20 mins of eating. He has been on this food for about a month.

I am planning on taking him to the vet next week. for a check up and shots and will look into this itchy more.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Betta Bomb

Coco had the same problem a while back due to old age> maybe this has something to do with his diet< breed< and climatical changes??
Give him a little bit of vegetable or safflower oil in his food> Coco"s skin and coat imporved dramamtically in only about one to two weeks>>!!

something wierd happened to my keyboard so ignore the terrible mess this message is in!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok I just gave him a bath, with my roommates special ph balanced doggy shampoo in case the groomer didn't get all the shampoo out and rinsed him very well, and blow dried him very well.

He is a yorkie schnauzer.

how much veggie oil? like a drop every day? could i have him lick it off my finger or something before eating?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

It could still be food allergies, even though you said you are feeding him a good brand. Dogs can sometimes also have allergies to meat, so it's not just grains that can do it. You could try an elimination diet to see if maybe a certain kind of meat or poultry is effecting him.

Are the bumps only on his belly? Some dogs can be allergic to grass, so when they lay down in the grass will irritate them and they'll get itchie bumps where their skin touched the grass.

Or it could be allergies to something else all together. It's tough sometimes figuring out what is bothering them.

Is there any chance he could have gotten bitten or stung by anything? Dogs can have flea allergies too, and when Kit got stung by a bee this summer he had a really bad allergy attack from it. He got hives and was throwing up.

Definatly talk to your vet about it. There are meds dogs can have to help with the itching, and vets can do allergy tests if they think the allergy isn't food related.

Good luck! I hope Messi is feeling better soon

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have been trying to rule it down what it is, it seems to be mostly his chest, he never scratches his ears, likes his back scratched but doesn't overly care, it is also a little on his legs but doesn't seem to effect his feet.

SO I have ruled out:

Detergant left in his bed from when I washed it- it was about 2 weeks ago that I washed his bed, I double rinsed it, and he sleeps mostly on his back in the cage, and his back doesn't seem to be itchy, but I did remove it and make him sleep in a towel.

Food- I don't think it is an allergy to food, as it is mostly his chest, he has been on the food for about a month and it did not increase or lower his itchiness the increase I don't think is related.

Fleas- can't find any, it is odd that they would just be on the chest.

mange- not in the right place no flaking no dirty conditions.

Possibilities-

Over washing, so I added a touch of oil to his food as I found on a few websites, it said if his stool loosens to stop- although their are no flakes, no dander, no irritation anywhere else

odd reaction to greenies- I have given him 2 since sunday the only time he has had them and the itchy has increased since

Odd reaction to being shaved- i doubt it but maybe

grass- I have started letting him be tied up out side for about 20 mins a day. n watch the neighbors, squirrels and so on.

Bugs in the grass- ants, gnats.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My dog has a skin problem, and itches constantly if she doesn't get the right food. We have to feed her a venison mix, especially for dogs with extremely sensitive skin. I also would lay off on the bathing for a while, if you haven't already, and see how that goes. Good luck though, its always so sad to see a scratchy puppy!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

And did you name him Messi after the soccer player?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yep, my boyfriend is a huge soccer fan he used to play on the saudi arabia national team. and a bonus it is cute as a dog name.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, your boyfriend used to play? My boyfriend is super into european soccer as well, we just saw Barcelona (and Messi...can you say dreamy?!?!) when they came to seattle last month. I can bet how cute Messi in puppy form would be
Sorry, this post has nothing to do with the question
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

edit: never mind.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Newborn Pup

My fathers little dog is prone to this (my girls just tear up my stuff instead, ha!!)...his can be brought on by stress similar to people getting "test" hives....(you know like a math test that could keep you from graduating...ha!!) It does not take much for a dog to think the world is ending...just being really late from work one day can make them fear you are never coming home...or paper training...etc.

I would first try a warm soak with 1 cup baking soda (sodium bicarb) to about 10 gallons water to immediately relieve itchy red skin (no soap or scrubbing)....pat with towel, then allow to air dry. Do not rinse. (also works for human winter dry cracked skin)

Start adding one vitamin E tablet and one Fish oil tablet to his food. You can buy both in the vitamin aisle at any grocery store. Literally cut the tip of the liquid capsule and squirt it onto his food. Both are biotransformed by the liver and will be excreted in stool, and both enhance healing and a healthy coat....with the added benefit of joint enhancement. (be careful with most otc suppplements because some are fat soluable. Your pet can get overdosed when they get sick and start breaking down body fat to compensate for less food intake...)

I would seriously consider grass or food allergy.....(please do not buy a food that lists a grain as the first ingredient). I personally use "Happy Hips" brand...but I have large breed dogs notorious for hip problems. Choose one that is best for your particular breed..... Good luck!!! It can be heartbreaking watching them so miserable....

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

4.8.16.3 Crested Gecko
2.0 Leopard Gecko
1.3 Domestic Cat
0.2 Golden Retriever
1.1 Prairie Dog
0.1 Cory Cat
2.1 Beautiful Children
1.0 Patient Husband
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

when i worked at a pet shop, lots of people wanted food without any chicken product because their dogs were sensitive to it and got patches on their skin from it. You say greenies makes it worse, so if your greenies has chicken, I would definitely try to get rid of chicken from the diet to try it out. and space out the washes!
food we sold without chicken was Nature's best lamb and rice (by the people who do science diet) and Nutrience derma lamb and rice (but that might exist only in canada) so ask a vet or good pet shop what food they have without chicken! Some beef and lamb foods still have chicken fat or chicken parts in the composition, so don't just take beef or fish flavored without checking if there's still chicken in it!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not sure if the greenies made it worse, or if it was the groomer, or the bugs in the grass.

I took him to the vet today he got his shots updated and then got a pill to take 2 times a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days and it should be done itching then.

They assume it was misquitoes and gnats for playing out side.

[/CENTER]