Itchy spots - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Unhappy Itchy spots

In the last couple days Claudia has gotten these dark spots where she chews or scratches herself. Mostly its on her legs (the easiest area for her to reach to chew) but theres a couple on her head where she's scratched too. The aren't raised like bites, or hot. Any ideas what's going on? Scrappy isn't affected by whatever it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow, that sounds curious indeed. Is she losing her fur on these spots? Is the skin flaky or rough there? Are the patches round? Poor Claudia
I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, but I hope you can figure it out.
Can you post a picture? Someone might recognize it and hopefully come up with an easy solution.
Give her a belly rub for me

[center]

[
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

They're not really round, the skin just seems irritated under the fur. In the worst spot it's actually a sore (on her eyebrow). I don't have a camera now or I would post pics. Ugh, I can't even really explain it, it seems to be places where she's just chewed or scratched sore spots on herself

Claudia appreciated the extra belly rubs btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

Could possibly be demodectic mange (which is not contagious). It usually starts on the face, front legs, and chest area. A skin scraping would tell if you need dips or not. If it is just localized you may only need a topical creme (by prescription).

Another possibility is flea dermatitis, sarcoptic mange (which is contagious) and caused by a mite, allergies, thyroid problem (but pooch usually gains noticeable weight with this condition). Many, many possibilities but if it is not going away and irritating to the dog definately have it looked at by your vet. Some skin conditions if left to long can cause further internal complications!

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 10:48 AM

In the meantime of you finding out what this is, I looked up natural remedies that might help stop the irritation so they wont end up hot spots if she continues to chew and scratch. Brew some green tea and let it cool down (obviously) put it in a little spray bottle and spray the affected areas. Then get some plain old aloe vera and apply it to the spots. Cheap and easy way to get temporary relief.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Thanks guys! Both of those sound like a possibility (although we don't have fleas that I know of)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hi Becki,

Just to clearify a bit, allergies can be from lots of things. As far as a flea dermatitis if your pooch is allergic to fleas, it only takes one flea to bring on a reaction. Keep us posted and hope all gets better soon. One of my Boxers hair thins during the spring (not from shedding her coat) and after the pollen settles the hair starts grow back.

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 10:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Also, you can give Benadryl to relieve the itching - the dose is 1 mg per 1 lb of dog. Hope she feels better soon!

Stephanie

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:03 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Bach had some allergies and we would give him benedryl. It worked really good - although it made him a little sleepy.

Is Claudia doing any better?

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Not better, but no worse so far :-/

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I hope he will be okay! You need some not so much pet drama time! You are do for it!