Its been a while - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Its been a while

It has been quite a while since I have last visited here. I just got internet again after about a 6 month lapse. Here is my problem. 6 months ago I moved into an apartment with my long time boyfriend. It has been great, except one thing. He will not let me get a dog. I have been wanting a dog for about 5 years now, and I am finding it quite impossibe to wait any longer. Our apartment allows pets and even has a HUGE area where you can take your dogs to run around, it is fenced and larger than any yard I will ever own. I have recently taken to running more, but find that in my area I will not go out when it is dark alone (which by the time i get off or even go to work its nearly dark.) My Boyfriend has also changed shifts at work so that the days I have off of work, he is working, and the days that I work, he has off. I cannot think of any reason why I shouldn't get a dog. His excuse is that we cannot get one in the apartment, and In a way I see his point. I want a medium to large size dog to be a running partner and companion for when I am home alone. Soccer is starting back up again, so we will be at the park all day on sundays giving the dog a chance to get out then as well. I just cannot convince him that I should get a dog. Any help would be appriciated, any ideas on how to convince the brat to compromise would be wonderful, or anyone who just wants to chat about it, I am really down because of it, and am sick of hearing the same answer that I dont really understand. We are thinking of moving in about 6 months almost 5 now, to get a house with a yard, but I really would like a dog now, with our schedule right now someone will almost always be home, which would be good for the doggie to get settled in. All I want is a pound puppy to keep me company. I am very sad about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Maybe mention to him that a compromise is in order?

It's hard to say really. I would not tolerate a dictorial relationship. Everything is give and take here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

It usually is with us as well, we have been together for 6 years and we dont ever hardly argue, but this he wont budge on. I dont know what to do. I have a second job that would cover the costs of a dog, and Every time I bring it up (which lately has become more and more often) He immidiately says no. Usually I can get him to atleast discuss something, and we decide then, but I am down to plain old saying, I want a dog, and I think I have waited long enough. It hasnt helped that two of my close friends just got dogs a month ago. I just dont know what to do.