It's so unfair here - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's so unfair here

Okay, so my Jack Russell we had got at about 5-6 years old. He didn't really show any aggression. He was brought there for biting at kids after someone moved in with kids to help his owner who was disabled. To the shelter people there was no aggression and to us there was none either. But this did stop and he started going after anyone if they looked like they were fighting, became super food aggressive and bit people after we got him. My mom okays this because he's small. I'm kind of really fed up with it because he's attacked my dog A LOT recently and my mom blames it on my dog and says he's 70 pounds so he's wrong. I know this is so unfair. Today she threatened me again saying this can't keep happening or we'll get rid of him (my dog). This bugs me to death because her dog is attacking mine, not the other way around and she kept this dog after numerous human attacks. I know this is wrong and does anyone know what I can tell my mom about this, any articles or anything? It's just so unfair that because my dog is bigger that means he's wrong. No matter what me or my sister says we're wrong about this. He gets along with my other two dogs and has never gotten into fights with them but he may get on there nerves with his contantly wanting to play. I don't understand how she doesn't see that how she thinks is wrong. Sorry about complaining about my mom so much but this just bugs me so much. My dog has not been a replacement for my chihuahua but has made me so happy and there is no way I could go without him. I just can't go without having a dog.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Well that's not very nice of your mom!

I really hope you keep your dog, because you don't deserve to have him taken away, maybe your mom will eventually notice who's attacking who. (whom?) And maybe she thinks that ignoring the problem will make it go away. I hope it gets better soon!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I know it's so unfair especially because her dog has bit people. He even attacked my chihuahua a couple of times and she was very old and definitely couldn't protect herself. I think the main problem is they're both dominant. I thought a puppy wouldn't get that way but it's still not like he goes after the Jack first. He does kind of hover over him when he's in my room though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

ALOT of terriers develop food aggression for some reason. I have a rat terrier and he has horrible food aggression. I've worked with him and worked with him to no avail. As for him attacking your dog, which dog has been in your household longer? Could it be that the JRT is jealous? Is he really attacking or just setting him straight on whos boss? Terriers really do have little dog syndrome alot of times. Little dog syndrome is the same thing as little man syndrome. Hes small, but thinks hes the biggest, baddest dog ever and really has a chip on his shoulder and wants to be in control. My RT acts this way with my 90 pound lab mix. He bosses him around. Talk to your mom. Have her help you watch and see what sets off the JRT and makes him act aggressively. This may not help, but its how I usually solve pet behavior problems. I have only been bitten once by my rat terrier and that was when I tried to "rescue" my friends pack of cigs from him. He's snapped at the vet before, though. He snaps at me or any other animal or inanimate object that gets near him when he's eating. He lets you know what he doesn't like. I hope you and your mom and the dogs can work something out.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

There has been some blood in their fights. Usually it doesn't last but a few seconds while we seperate them. He's fine with the other JRT in the house. No one would know he like this. If anyone walks in the house he wants to jump on them and be their best friend. At the vet he's to scared to even move.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 09:07 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

You know what's really sad? If it was a big dog that bit people like that, it would have been put to sleep right now...the smaller dogs usually go unnoticed.. its really unfair that way. If you can't talk to your mom, why not try training the smaller dog yourself? Alot of times some basic training will help the problem. Or just keep the dogs away from each other...if you see the smaller dog attacking yours, correct him right away and tell your mom...I know this may sound stupid, but maybe even take a picture when its happening?...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm sorry to hear about this, and I must say your mom seems a little bit anxious to jump the gun, sorry if that comes off wrong.
As for the food aggression, how are the dog's fed? Are they fed together or seperate? or do they free feed?
If they are feed together or free feed, than my suggestion is to feed them in seperate bowls in seperate rooms. How many other dog's are in the household (you mentioned a few more I think), if the only one that is doing this is the small one, I would single the little one out for a short period. Feed all the other dogs together than feed the little one last and alone. Another idea and I only mention this because it was brought to our attention for our 2 foster brother's and it did work, is to feed the other dog's and basically sit the little one near by so he can see the other's eating but NOT letting him near the other's, teach him to "sit" if he doesn't already know, and hold his collar or put a leash on him, and make him sit and watch and when they are done eating than feed the little one. I think the idea behind that is let the little dog know who is in charge I don't know really, we tried it because we were out of ideas and it worked and now they all get fed together except Ajax who still has to be fed alone, but his food aggression as decreased quite a bit.

As for his aggression towards your dog and people, I would call around to area vet's and find out who they would reccommend for training, it sounds like the little guy not only needs obedience training, but he needs to be evaluated by an expert to help determine why he is doing what he is doing.

Don't give up just yet, there is always hope hang in there hun.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you
My mom has seen her dog provoke the fights but because my dog can kill hers she says he's wrong. Her dog is the only dog that has this food problem. Her dog has to be fed away from the other 3 or he'll cause problems. Since he's now 11-12 my mom has the idea that he's too old to train now. I've brought that up to her many times but that's the response I get. I'll see about the letting him watch them eat.

Pitbulliest- My mom has this idea somehow that my dog is mean and says if he ever attacks a person he's gone. He's not like that and I have continued with socializing him and he's great around everyone, even kids. She still just needs to realize that her dog has a problem and not mine.

Last edited by Brittney; 09-16-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Tags
jack russell, lab mix, obedience training, rat terrier