It's walkie time and I need advice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

It's walkie time and I need advice!

We have had Lupo for over a month now, and we have gone through all his vaccinations and he has had a microchip put in him, and now all the waiting is over! He is allowed to go out for walks
After a day or so, he was fine on the lead, the only problem we have is that he has a thing about changing which side he walks on. I know that we can easily make him walk on one side, but at the moment we are letting him sniff everything he wants so that he is not as afraid of everything because he is extremely shy!!
My friend got a puppy before us, so I'm going to ask where she goes for puppy classes, so that we can join and get him even better on the lead.
Lupo has been going out since Thursday just gone, but he hasn't picked up on the fact that he is allowed to do his bussiness outside and he seems to think that he can only go on the training pads/In the house, which is quite annoying. We have tryed a lot of strange methods to get him to pee outside, telling him to go paper (Which is what we used in the house), my mum tryed putting a bit of pressure on his bladder LOL, and my brother even pee'd while we wern't looking to get him to go!!!! LMAO!!
So, if there is a trick to get him to go toilet outside (As none of our silly methods have worked) than please share!
He is now gaurding the house and we are letting him upstairs, even though we wern't originally, he is actually better behaved knowing he can come upstairs lol.
Thanks for your help when we first got him, he is overall an extremely well behaved pup for his age, so it's all thanks to your help and advice
xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Hello Earthling

I can't really help you with the walking because Kiwi didn't walk on a leash the first few months and Kibbles just followed Kiwi's lead, so I don't know much about puppies walking.

As for the pee pad, move it closer and closer to the door you want him to go out and then finally outside till he gets the point.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What I used to do with Dina (but this is so long ago I can hardly remember lol) was whenever I saw her sniffing around the paper we had in the kitchen for her to pee I would pick her up quickly and take her outside. At first she was kinda confused but she needed to go to the toilet so she just peed and then i would make a big fuss over her and she eventually stopped doing it inside and waited until she was outside. Don´t know if that will help but I wish you loads of luck anyway!!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

When we went to puppy class the teacher had us walk the puppies in a heel position. Then we would let the lead loosen and give them a command so they knew when it was time to sniff around and potty. It works well when you want to take a walk and not a doggie wander. Also, keeping them in a heel (beside or slightly behind you) shows that you are the pack leader and that he is a follower. This should make him calmer knowing that you are in charge and he does not need to worry about anything happening to him.
As for pottying outside - I don't think I used piddle pads at all with Frank. I just took him out every 10 minutes, then every 15 minutes and so on. Whenever he pottied outside I made a huge fuss and treated him. He trained easily. Belle on the other hand...well she was harder. She would go to the door and bark when she didn't need to go out and then not say a word when she did. I eventually bought a doggie door bell and taught her to hit that when she wanted the door to open. She has only had a few accidents since then and that is usually when I am upstairs and her daddy doesn't pay attention to her ringing the bell.

Good Luck!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
lead, puppy, walk