Jack Snapped! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thumbs down Jack Snapped!

So just about 10-15 mins ago I was getting Jack (my foster dog's) meds ready.He has kennel cough.Anyway I have given him his meds with no issues as of now.

Anyway I went to give him his meds tonight and he put up a fight.He never liked his meds,so I always hold his collar to restrain him...otherwise the meds just go everywhere.I never had issues with this either.However tonight when I restrained him,he put up a huge fight.Once he calmed down a minute,I went to put the meds in and he started growling.I then proceeded to give him the meds again after a minute and he took a snap at me! He never actually got me...but the fact that he did TRY is what bothers me.He's been here about a week now,getting meds a couple times a day and never once did this!

Not impressed AT ALL.I still managed to give him most of his meds,but afterwards I had to crate him,as I am so annoyed.Yes,I know...don't use the crate as punishment.But I needed to put him somewhere.

Anyway I let the rescue know this.He is going to meet an adoptive family tommorrow and they have to be aware of this.

I am a little shaken up,because NONE of my foster dogs ever reacted like that with me...EVER! Even during medication time or anything.Jack is still not fixed,so this may have something to do with it as well.

Also I have a 4 yr old daughter,what if he does it with her? Jack is a sweet dog for the most part.But once again,the fact that he tried biting me while being medicated really bothers me.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

That is weird that he hasn't been doing it, and then did it out of the blue. Maybe there was something different today that you weren't aware of.

Keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I know!
He has been here a week and no problems...so I dunno.
He is asleep in his crate at the moment.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wow! wierd. well im glad all's settled and you werent hurt

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

He seems fine today,so maybe he was having a bad day.He seems normal today.He is also going to meet a family tonight - who may be interested in adopting him.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww i hope he didnt mean it and it was just a one off. It would be terrible if he didnt get adopted because of it. I am glad you didnt get hurt x

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Dogs can have their days, also if stressed from medication, I have had dogs turn on me while volunteering at the vet. Normally they are perfect, but anything that they dont like or not comfortable with, they will show it. I would not be too worried about it, a lot of dogs I find hate meds as well as some like it.

Is it a pill or liquid? We had a dog who had bad kennel aggression and the only way to get him to take his meds was to put it in his favorite food, like take a spoonful, enought to make a ball around the pill and he ate quickly!!

He should be OK. Good luck!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah.I know.Jack is fine today anyway.
He went to the vet and now has ear drops as his ears are really bad.As for the other meds...it is liquid.If it was a pill,it would be much easier.But I have to syringe it into him.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think i would bite with that too, some stranger trying to shove something down my throat.

I know you mean well, but he doesn't

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

When I was younger my dachshund had a pancreas problem and had to have pills or else he wouldn't digest correctly. The vet told us to crush it up and put it in his food to get him to eat it, but he wouldn't. Finally I just threw a pill on the floor and pointed at it. He gobbled it up! Then I gave him his food. Soon he learned if he ate the pill he could have his food. I even got him to roll over and "shake a hand" to get his pill. Maybe you could try rewarding him with a tasty little something after he lets you give his medicine.

When you give him stuff in a syringe try to put it in the side of his mouth angled in slightly (if you aren't already). If you push on the spot where his jaws meet it should make him want to open his mouth naturally. I read in a first aid book for dogs that sort of technique is used for choking dogs that are scared. That's the best way I can explain it. You want to hit the spot where his jaws make a V shape. I hope that makes sense.

I think this is the book I read it from if anyone is interested: LINK

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Yeah.I know.Jack is fine today anyway.
He went to the vet and now has ear drops as his ears are really bad.As for the other meds...it is liquid.If it was a pill,it would be much easier.But I have to syringe it into him.
Liquids SUCK, pill form is better. Almost all pets hate liquid UNLESS it has a good taste!!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my vet could flavor my ig's antibiotics that were a liquid i could choose between banana, strawberry and a few others he said that he could also flavor stuff for cats and dogs with liver, beef, and chicken flavors maybe your vet could do it too

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
my vet could flavor my ig's antibiotics that were a liquid i could choose between banana, strawberry and a few others he said that he could also flavor stuff for cats and dogs with liver, beef, and chicken flavors maybe your vet could do it too
My vet did the same for my hamster when he needed antibiotics. That hamster was amazing. He let me hold him on his back to give him the antibiotics. Sicks pets are always hard to deal with. I hope he was having a bad day and doesn't try to nip again. It's also hard to trust the dog right after that happens too.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Still on meds...altho I can probably stop them tommorrow.
They were for his kennel cough,but his cough is pretty much gone.
Jack was at the vet yesterday and I was told I can stop the meds once his cough goes away.

He is a happy go lucky dog and has not snapped/growled since.He also gets ear drops in his ears and it is funny,he seems to like them...cause when I am rubbing them in,he really seems to enjoy the rubs!

As for the medicine being liquid,thats what he needed...it was a cough medicine thing.Not sure exactly now...but it worked and that is what matters.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Kaysie got kennel cough, there was a outbreak at the vet. They are getting rid of it as it is a hard bugger to get rid of. She is getting over kennel cough now.

私は武井靖巣あなたをして