Jasmine shedding alot! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Exclamation Jasmine shedding alot!

My papillon, Jasmine, has recently started shedding alot. They have very long hair (for anyone that has never seen a pap )She is about 1 1/2 yrs old, and her coat is starting to get really long and beautiful, but she's shedding all over! She is also itching alot. She is on Frontline (no fleas or anything like that) I think she is itching b/c of dry skin and shedding. My question is this.. my boyfriend's sister told us about something she used for her goldens b/c they shed alot. She got it on Dr's FosterSmith, but here is a link to something similar we found at Petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_123.shtml

It comes in a liquid form (or pill) and is a supplement put in their food once daily. Has anyone tried anything like this? Or anyone reccommend anything else? She is on Solid Gold Diet also, incase anyone was wondering what her diet was. I was just wondering on any feedback from anyone! Thanks guys!!!! :bfly:

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I haven`t used that one but have tried the Linatone. I was not overly impressed. I have used brewers yeast and garlic for my boxers. I am pretty happy with that but with Zeus (he is on meds) he has more of a bout with shedding. I have heard good things about the Mrs. Allens Shed Stop but haven`t tried it yet. Some times I think it is trial and error as far as which works for your dog. Some folks just add an egg to their dogs food and swear by it.

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thanks BarB! Haven't heard of the Mrs. Allen's stuff, do you have to special order this? Her shedding has gotten so bad in the last month, along with her itchies. I have never heard of the egg thing, wow! I am learning new things every day. lol. How is the egg given to them usually? I don't like eggs and never eat them, I hope I know how to cook it!
Thanks BarB!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

My cats seem to have dry skin as well, I wonder if there is something similiar for them!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

Eggs are given raw! Mrs. Allens can be mail ordered I think through Petsmart or other pet catalogs. Possibly even the pet store.

Also being that it is excessive shedding and scratching it could be allergies. I wonder if she could be having a reaction to the Frontline. I also wonder if she is having a thyroid problem. If it is intense to the point she is uncomfortable and the situation is overwhelming, think about scheduling an appointment with your vet. It sounds as if her situation is getting a bit more than the usuall.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

I figured it was raw, but I didn't know. he he.
I will check on the Mrs. Allens stuff.
I am taking Penny to the vet tomorrow for her yearly shots. She always says "how is the crew" and I tell her whats been going on. lol. I will tell her about Jasmine. This poor dog has had so many health issues. It turned out the problem (after a speicalist visit) was a food allergy to something in Science Diet. She has been doing great on Solid Gold since March. They originally thought she had a kidney issue going on, b/c she had a high BUN level, but after tests and ultrasounds of all her organs, they said everything was absolultey normal, her stomach issues are from the food (which the other vet I took her too wanted me to keep her on SD, to see how her protien and BUN levels were. Had I known this had to do with food, she would've been eating other food a long time ago, poor thing. But the vet wouldn't tell me that of course, they promote SD)
This has gotten profuse in the last month or so. She has always seemed to be an *itcher* but now it's getting worse, and the hair everywhere is an enormous amount. Advantage did nothing for her, she still managed to get fleas (At that time we lived in an apt, where other dogs were walked so there were some fleas about) So, she is on Frontline. Her last application was in August. I guess anything's possible, a reaction to that. This poor dog, I also can't give her Heartguard, it got her really sick when she was younger. She's on Interceptor. It's within this last month it's gotten really bad. Are these some indications of a thyriod problem?
One more odd thing. She's had this cough for awhile now too. I have told my vet about it a few times. She was there in July for chekups and shots. It used to be after she was drinking water, I tried to put her bowl higher, lower, a water bottle, nothing worked. It's like a dry, hack cough. Now, she's doing it more, and last night, I witnessed her eating the hair!! She itched and hair came off and I watched her lick it up and swallow it! I wonder if this is where this cough comes from. Like a cat with hair balls type deal?! I will let you know what the vet has to say about this tommorrow!
Thanks!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Some small breeds can have a problem called collapsed trachea. You usually see it in the terrier breeds but a cough is a result. Hair could have a little to do with it as well as respiratory issue. The only other thing that I can think of as far as shedding profusely and it NOT be allergy would be cushings syndrome. Hopefully after your vet check they will better know what is going on and be able to help.

I don`t know much about the Papillon breed, but could any of this be hereditary or breed related?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

I have talked with my vet about the collapsing trachea...she did say those were common in the small breeds. My dachshunds do this thing every now and then where they move their throats and it looks like they are trying harder to get air, but our vet said that was normal, it's a small breed thing. A friend of ours with dachshunds as well says hers do this. But Jasmine is different. Her's is a definate cough. Like a dry, hack. My vet didn't seemed too concerned, saying it could be trachea related, now with her shedding so much and itching, I wonder if those 2 are even related or that's something else. When I give her a bath, we tried those oatmeal shampoos, etc, (expensive ones! lol) to hopefully relieve her itching, but to no avail (that I can see anyway)
I don't know anything about Cushing's disease so I went to google and as usual read something to freak myself out. I found this link :
http://www.animalwellnesscenterdavis...ary/M00494.htm

She does and has always seemed to have excessive thrists...originally why we thought urinary infection, kidney issue, but she was fine. I will mention this possibility and talk with the vet about it tomorrow.
Thanks for your help! Any good bath stuff to reccommend?

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

You guys are going to think I am totally off the wall here - but I swear by Olive Oil.
A tablespoon sprinkled on their food daily has cleared up dandruff, dry skin, hairballs... my dogs eat a lot of their own hair - just as a result of mouthing each other and playing. I noticed it in Max's stool (sorry, gross- I know lol) But - I swear - the olive oil worked!
I just posted this in the cat section - it works for them too.

Shiny coats and healthy supple no-flakes on the skin in about a week. You can back the suppliment of olive oil off to once a week when you see improvement ... it's totally natural and easy to do too.

Since I changed the dogs to Wellness I haven't had to use any olive oil - that seemed to totally fix all skin and coat issues with my Golden.

I know it sounds bizzarro!

I use a gentle oatmeal shampoo that smells really nice and softens their fur. I got it at the salon where I get my hair done
It's some all natural stuff so I figured it was OK to use on them.

[center]

[
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Jackie,

If those symptons sound like your girl, I would definately mention to the vet so they can test. It is treatable but I think with this condition it is a lifetime of meds. As far as bath soaps, all I have ever used is flea soaps but with her skin already dry, I would wave the baths for a bit cause it is probably keeping her skin irritated. I had an Australian Cattle Dog once that got hotspot after hotspot due to too much bathing.

I have never used the olive oil, but I here great things about the wellness foods. It is a human grade food instead of a feed type food.

Let us know how the vet visit goes! Good Luck and hope all turns out OK!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thank you so much for your help guys! Well, I talked to my vet on Thurs. I asked her about Cushing's and she described it, and she said that it most likely couldn't be it. She described it as usually in older dogs, they get a pot belly kindof and I think she said they lose patches of hair, so thankfully, that isn't the problem...whew. She said also, it would've showed on her most recent blood tests (this poor girl has had all sorts of tests done on her, ). She said it could be some kind of allergy at this time of year, pollen or the like.. Since she has been on the same food for so long (since March) that would be unlikely,too. I also asked about a reaction to Frontline, she said since I put it on at the end of August, prob. not it either. She told me to give her some Benadyl, 2-3 times a day to relieve the itching and such. If it persists, bring her in, to maybe get a cortizone injection. Now, all the sudden it's like that night it got better (I haven't given her the Benadryl yet) she seems better, and there isn't alot of hair around the cage. Weird... lol. I will definately try all these things you suggested too! Wellness is a great food! Right now, she is doing so so good on Solid Gold, I didn't want to change her. It's also all natural human grade type food, and her tummy has been doing great on it.
Oh yes, Bar B, I am trying not to give her as many baths now, your right, I think that seems to make it worse.
Thanks again guys!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I am glad she seems to be shedding less and the vet doesn't seem worried!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am soooooo glad things are better and VERY glad for the both of you that Cushings syndrome has been ruled out. That is VERY good news. I hope she has a full recovery soon with a full coat of hair. Can`t imagine what could have tramatized her but allergies work in mysterious ways...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jackie, I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it continues!

~ Jodi ~

Tags
australian cattle dog, cattle dog, older dog, pet store, vet visit