Just because you can, doesn't mean you should - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

The coffee table is now a favorite launch point for Cookie, my 4 months australian shep. She is pretty darn agile actually but still I don't want her on the coffee table. We tell her to get down and she lays down on the coffee table, she has not a clue really what our problem is. She is the cutest little thing and always seems to be smiling and bubbly, at least Simon will give me a solem I'm sorry look when he is corrected.

Simon seems so eager to please me, and Cookie is less than motivated by that it seems. I have to use food rewards if I want to be taken seriously by her.

Ya know how I get her to come in the house after potty? Either a treat or I send Simon. Simon gets her to chase him into the house. I will reward her and make a big deal about her coming inside, but I don't think she really cares too much about all that. Prior to my new have Simon fetch her trick, and while he was under the weather, I would go out with Cookie and it gets to the point I have to use my stern voice instead of my happy excited baby talk coercing voice,,,here is an example of what happens during the stern voice method.

"Cookie, you stop, Get in here, Cookie...Cookie come,,come,,,come here" (Me)
"Rrrrrrruf ruf ruf Rrrruffff, pant *butt wiggle, toss head back* rufff" then cock my head to see if she is serious,,ok go see if there is a treat (Cookie)

Who else has a australian shep and are they also so stubborn yet happy go lucky?

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
The coffee table is now a favorite launch point for Cookie, my 4 months australian shep.
Riley (Bull Terrier) loves getting on the coffee table too! She's my first dog that's ever done that! She jumps on the coffee table and then leaps over to the couch. It was annoying, yet cute at first, but now that she's over 50 pounds, it's just plain annoying.

Australian shepards are so pretty. I met one in person once and he was an incredibly smart dog. Cookie knows what you want, she's just playing games with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I thought a visual might be fun

I just snapped off a few pics a minute ago...the little nut and one of my stoic Simon,

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rhonda

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
I Just Need One!

Your pups are soo darn cute! I love this picture..

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg! sorry....i know it shouldn't be funny.

my yorkie does this! if i put the coffee table close to the couch, she will try and put her paws on the table. what i do is each time even ONE paw TOUCHES the top of the table, i yell, "OFF!" she already knows what OFF means, so she listens. but that doesn't mean she doesn't try to do it every day. try teaching him the OFF command (off the couch, off the bed, off a chair) and maybe he'll get it.

the pics are pretty cute, though. tee hee!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:43 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

LOVE the pics Jenn!!

What an adorable pup! And a little goofball!

I have a Chi that thinks he can go anywhere or on anything. He's tiny but very good at jumping. I've busted him on the kitchen table before licking up crumbs!!!

~ Jodi ~

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

We use "OFF" as well...although I've never had a dog that insisted on being ON the coffee table, I once had a Golden Retriever who insisted on being UNDER the coffee table! Until one day he was on his back under the coffee table and when he stretched his feet out, he launched the coffee table from the living room into the dining room Be glad she wants ON it as opposed to UNDER it!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Off was going to be my recommendation too. The way I taught Gumbo off was if he was on the couch with me, I'd gently scoot him off the couch while repeating "off." Then I'd have him sit and praise, praise, praise. Aussies are known for being stubborn - good luck!

Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If all else fails, you should try my husband's method of estabilishing respect with hard-headed breeds (we own a samoyed--arctic beasts that have a MIND all their own--you honestly have to CONVINCE them why they should do something).

He calls it "have a little talk" with Kirby.

If Kirby will not obey when Sami calls him and intentionally ignores him, Sami will go outisde and track him down. DO NOT run after them--they think you will just be playing a game of chase. Stalk. Have a mean look in your eye--you're SERIOUS! Grab a hold of the dog on both sides of the neck--just the scruff; not hard enough to hurt but firmly enough to where they cannot get away. Give them a hard stare in the eyes. Don't look away. This is estabilishing that you are the alpha. After a few seconds of this, say "come" again and walk your dog to the spot where you originally called them. Praise them and then wait until next time. Eventually they will learn that they will have to go where you want them to go no matter what--and the more pleasant/gets better praise way would be for them to do it on their own.

I would suggest this method (staring hard in the eyes, etc.) only if she's really hard-headed and stubborn. This is how samoyeds are. You have to PROVE to them that you are the alpha and they must obey you. With our shetland sheepdog, Seamus, this method wouldn't work. He's much too timid and would wee all over himself if I gave him the "talk" stare.

(Cookie sounds a lot like our samoyed--stubborn yet happy all the time. After Kirby recieves the "talk," he wants to shake it all off and wag his puff at you and say, "okay, I'm a good dog now! Let's play!")

She's very adorable! Is she a blue merle? Our sheltie is a blue merle with the blue eyes. I love those blue merle doggies!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Cookie is a Blue Merle the blue merle markings are just so beautiful and unique. She has these hazel eyes that are just hypnotizing to gaze into.

I am going to try using the Off command, that was a good reminder for me, the Get Down, is too confusing and I can see why she might lay down instead of Get Down.

She is pretty stubborn, or something, I keep thinking it's because she is a puppy and just doesn't understand yet but I am beginning to think maybe she does understand. I had read all these books on positive training and I am not getting very far with Cookie on that technique so maybe we should have "talks" with Cookie see if that helps. Simon has responded really favorably to the positive training approach, he seems to want to please and will do what he needs to , to please. Cookie seems to do what she wants, when ,where and for whatever reason and if we like it, that's great, and if we don't ,well she doesn't seem to care,,lol. It's also hard because she is so darn cute..I made up a song the other day for her, kind of a theme song

I'm Cookie, I'm Cookie
I do what I want
I'm Cookay, I'm Cookay
I do as I please
I'm Snookay dah Cookay

and it goes on about like that over and over. I think she likes the song, as she hops up on the table to shake her tail to it.

My wonderful loves:
Bella Chinchillas
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My husband had to start having "talks" with his samoyed at a very young age. Kirby is a very intelligent dog and he KNOWS what you want him to do, but he must be convinced as to why he should do it (and you being estabilished as alpha is usually a good enough reason). Also, when she follows a command and you DON'T have to have the talk, reward her with food since that's what she likes. But if you have to have a staring contest, no food.

They learn very quickly this way that when they do what YOU want right away, they DO NOT go through a "talk" and they get a tasty treat as well. If the dog is food motivated, work with it. Kirby would sweep the floors and mop the house if he could just to get a Dentabone or pig ear! While our Seamus sounds like your Simon and honestly just wants to PLEASE you. He likes treats, too, but isn't as motivated by them as he is praise.

Keep working with it. It will all work out in the end with perserverance and patience.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Lacey weighs 70lbs and will jump on the end table to look out the window if given the chance (no wonder she had a torn ligament)I guess because she was raised with cats she thinks she can climb on anything.

Tags
bull terrier, golden retriever