Kennel Club Abbreviations - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Kennel Club Abbreviations

Numerous times on various forums I have seen Kennel Clubs and their abbreviations come up. Many know the popular ones, like AKC or UKC. But when a dog is listed as registered with, say, the FCI, some people stop and go "What?" I'm often among them. So I did some searching and compiled a list of the Kennel Clubs out there and their abbreviations. There are likely more out there but I don't know of them. So, here are the Kennel Clubs I know of and their abbreviations. If you know of some others, please share. Let's make this list as complete as humanly possible. Thanks!

AKC = American Kennel Club
ANKC = Australian National Kennel Club
CKC = Canadian Kennel Club
CKC = Continental Kennel Club
FCI = Fédération Cynologique Internationale
KCGB = Kennel Club of Great Britain
NKC = National Kennel Club
NZKC = New Zealand Kennel Club
UKC = United Kennel Club

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

There is also the ADBA
ADBA = American Dog Breeders Association

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Thanks! I've heard of that one but could NOT for the life of me remember the whole name. LOL

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

They are pretty much all about the American Pitbull Terriers, so usually people aren't sure what they are unless they own one

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

These aren't kennel clubs, but if someone is looking into their dog's history, they might see some of these abbreviations.

MVA - equivalent to "Ch." in America
FIN - precedes "MVA"; means a dog attained a championship in Finland
N, S, EST, GB, DK, RUS - Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Great Britain, Denmark, Russia
INT - International champion
NORD - Nordic champion

There are others, but I believe the country abbreviations for titles is the same as the abbreviations used in the Olympics.

The FCI also has a list of all its member European countires with their kennel club's name.

And I believe every AKC registered breed has an American club devoted to the preservation of that breed. Should we list all of those?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 05:23 AM

Found some more--

FCMAC - Federacion Canofila Mexicana
JKC - Japan Kennel Club
NCA - National Canine Association

Also note: FCI is not a registry. It's more of a twist tie for all the countires that are members under it. They handle shows and the dealing out of CACIBS (necessary for attaining an international championship). And, most European countries don't have abbreviations for their kennel clubs. It's just long names.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Thank you, Pihlaja! You seem to know a lot about Kennel Clubs.

-

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Thank you, Pihlaja! You seem to know a lot about Kennel Clubs.
Welcome.

I used to be into showing dogs and was wholly obsessed with Westminster and Crufts. So, all the knowledge sort of came with that obsession.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There's a full list of definitions for the AKC located at:
http://www.akc.org/dic/events/prefixs.cfm

The one that kept me confused for a while was in the newspaper... POP

I finally figured out it meant Parents on Premises

- Deb

Tags
bull terrier, bull terriers, kennel club