Killer got fixed today - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Killer got fixed today

They called last night and said they had an opening so I took him in today. He did okay and I was really surprised that he came running out of the vets office like nothing happened.

He hasn't been licking his incision THAT bad but he is licking it. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a little while. The vet didn't say anything about licking but I do know that the stitches are inside so it's not a huge deal.

He keeps licking his paw also so I guess that's where they gave him the IV.

The vet told me to crate him tonight. I know there is no way that he's going to stay happily in a crate and I'm not crating him in the house if he's just going to cry. He's on my bed now sleeping and I think he'll be okay here for the rest of the night. Usually when he sleeps, he stays on the bed until I get up for the day. I have been putting him on the bed and putting him on the floor so he won't jump. He HAS jumped a few times though before I could catch him.

Does anybody know if I can give him a baby aspirin? He has a bad paw that I know hurts him, and now he's licking the other so I think an aspirin would help him a great deal. Also his pain meds from the vets are probably wearing off right about now.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Didn't the vet give you some pain meds? They gave me rimidyl or w/e it's called when I had Harvey and Rusty neutered. They licked at their stitches a bit too, but I kept an eye on it and nothing happened. Watch for any swelling or bad smells coming from the incision site. My dogs did bounce around a little and nothing happened, don't sweat it unless he's doing it a LOT. A few times shouldn't hurt, but you can always check back in with the vet. Is there room on your bed to crate him so he can see you? That would probably help.

You should probably give the vet a call about the aspirin to make sure it doesn't have interactions with the meds s/he gave Killer during the operation.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I didn't want to give him aspirin because of the possible interactions. I couldn't believe that the vet didn't give me any pain medicine, even if it was a pill for him to take this evening when their pain medicine wore off. I guess they think that since they don't whine and moan that they're not in pain and that's kind of sad. I'm not calling them a bad vet I just guess they find it unnecessary.

I'm going to call them tomorrow about the aspirin because the vet told me to give him baby aspirin because of his paw. Now he is licking at his other paw so I guess that is where they stuck his IV into.

His groin area doesn't even look swollen and honestly I can't tell where the incision was but being that he is licking there I guess it does bother him.

I'm just going to wait until tomorrow and see how he acts.

Being that I don't trust anyone in my house to take him outside or not rough house with him and whatever I'm going to crate him while I'm at school. I honestly hate to do it and I know it's not a bad thing but my stepsister used to leave him crated all day whether she was home or not.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

pain meds can do more bad than good sometimes, it can upset their system and unless they are having a really hard time, normally vets don't subscribe it to dogs.

His licking the area may not be because it hurts, but more of a smell that he can tell the glue or stitches are on him, or that something just seams weird.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fixed