King of the Sook..Please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

King of the Sook..Please help!

My dog Coco has always wanted to be on top but he's quick to learn(although temporarily)who's who.. Now, we moved back in April from a cramped apartment with no backyard and where he graciously received about 4 walks a day to a 2 storey house with a generous yard to frolic.His problem is thaat he wants walks instead of to go in the yard, and this becomes very frusterating on foggy or wet days-because theyre so frequent- and he only moves his bowels in the yard if it literally spills out of him from waiting so long. I know he just is used to his multiple daily walks but its been almost 3 months! yes, ill take him on a walk every day but should i baby him like that? he'll hold in his #2 all day just to go on a walk and deposit his waste about 3 times on a single jaunt areound the block! this cannot be good for his intestines-

He also has a very obsessive habit of licking just about anything when hes out on his walks.it used to be just recent dog pee but since we moved he licks at almost every stop!! very annoying considering i dont know what he's tasting and i dont want him to become sick.He'll stop licking for me sometimes but he tries his luck with everybody else who walks him.

I love my Coco but this is just outrageous,he's totally trying my patience isnt he? does anybody else ahve this problem or know how to correct it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I canot only say him going is just from habit, he can get used to the yard eventually, maybe u may need to go outside with him or someone so he feels like a 'walk' but off leash...now for the other thing, I dunno. Maybe someone else knows more!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

yeah,right! im not getting my feet wet and cold-screw that!

no, but seriously i do go out with him usually until my nipples turn to little rocks and he still hasnt peed.he doesnt like goin into the grass when its wet and sometimes will pee right there on the deck.he is used to the yard on the nice sunny days!its only on cold wet days.......you come over and baby him in the yard!!!COME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Does he run around and play outside in the yard by himself? Maybe you could go out there with him and throw a ball around for him, or just walk around the yard with him for awhile. I know my parents dog does her buisness when she gets exercise, whether its a walk or we take her out to play in the yard. If you go out with him maybe he'll play, then go to the bathroom. Then hopefully he'll eventually get the idea and be able to go out himself.

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
yeah,right! im not getting my feet wet and cold-screw that!

no, but seriously i do go out with him usually until my nipples turn to little rocks and he still hasnt peed.he doesnt like goin into the grass when its wet and sometimes will pee right there on the deck.he is used to the yard on the nice sunny days!its only on cold wet days.......you come over and baby him in the yard!!!COME!
OMG I literally LOLed with that, nipplez rock I willz

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 06-27-2008 at 11:12 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My first dachshund wouldn't go outside if it was cold. He would run back inside. Maybe your dog doesn't want to be out there for the same reason you don't. It's cold and wet! You could try putting up a table or something with an umbrella so it doesn't get so wet in the yard. The other thing I would suggest is toughing it out for a few weeks and going out with him. Bring some treats so you can reward his good behavior. When he does his business in the yard praise and give him a treat. It's kind of like re-potty training.

As for the licking everything. I have puppies... when I take them out on a walk and they start getting in to stuff, I pull on their lead enough to get their attention (like a swift jerk) and say "LEAVE IT!" Harvey has responded very well to that.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Tahnks/!i like to go and play with him in the yard but the grass hasnt been mowed this year yet and both of us just dont like the tall wet grass! he's not into much playing in the yard-ill toss his frisbee or ropes and he'll go after it then go on snuffing it out around the yard-when he does his #2 i praise him and give him cheese(his favorite!) hmph...yeah-ill have to get my coat and go out with him farther.i dont want to walk on any snails,you dont think he's just stubborn and spoiled??
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmilla View Post
As for the licking everything. I have puppies... when I take them out on a walk and they start getting in to stuff, I pull on their lead enough to get their attention (like a swift jerk) and say "LEAVE IT!" Harvey has responded very well to that.
I use the command "NO LICKS!" and pop the leash but he forgets and goes on too the next tasty spot.

it worked fine for your lil weiners?they are cutesies BTW
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

LOL!
While that was funny...I don't know if the mods will allow that kinda talk...in the general forum anyway!

Anyway I know how sooky Coco is.He wants someone to be out with him.And if nobody is out with him,he don't wanna stay out for long.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't know if this will work, but put the leash on him and go in the back yard, walk around the edges near the fence/property line. This gives him the idea he is with you away from the house. Carry treats as marmilla suggested to reward him. You can carry the toys, too, so that he can play when he is done.

It sounds like Coco is very social and wants the attention. Giving him the one longer walk a day as well as out in the yard above might help.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If the popping of the leash doesn't work... it's SPRAY BOTTLE TIME! That's the one thing that always works for my dogs. Dachshunds are known for being stubborn and I have one that really embodies this. Often if they are really hyper on a walk or being bad at home I carry a spray bottle with water in it and squirt them. I try to get them on the nose because that really gets their attention. Most of the time I just have to show them the bottle and they stop now. You can get an empty spray bottle at most stores for $1. It's best not to reuse one that had chemicals in it. A lot of chemicals are hard to get out of the inside of the bottle.

Remember to use a command like your "no licks" when you spray. Soon he should associate the spray with "no licks" and think "hmm something bad happens to me when I do this". Remember the tone of your voice is everything. You have to be stern with them and try to keep a lower pitch. It's not always the loudness of your voice, but the lower growl-y pitch that makes the dog listen. A high pitch is associated with excitement and praise. So you can yell whatever you want at the dog in a high pitch and he will think you are playing with him.

Sometimes I also gently grab the scruff of my pups necks if they are really being bad (...eating my living room rug!) and tell them what for. When you do this you have to be purposeful, but not too rough. You want him to know you mean business, not hurt. If you have long nails, be careful about pinching.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have to be out with my dogs, they hate to be alone and I worry some evil person will hurt them (I live in the hood) on rainy days all the girls will go potty but I have to go out with an umbrella for Puppers, he hates it so much lol...yeah my babies are spoiled...Leia licked things for awhile, but we said leave it and did the side tug or the tap if necesary...gotta find what works best for your doggie...good luck though, and keep those ummm body parts warm

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

lol-i got my sweater on now,thanks!!

i really appreciate all the help guyses!! we'll see what works best with Mr.Coco,spray bottle might help actually-this whoos doesnt even like playing with water balloons or wet sponge frisbees!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

The water bottle might work! I didn't even think of that.
Thats what we use at the office/kennel if the dogs get into bad/annoying behaviour.Most dogs dislike it,so it is usually effective.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I also say he is just so used to it, such a habit for that many years, he is used to it. It can be done!!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして