Kitty snacks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Arrow Kitty snacks

For those of you that have dogs and cats, how do you keep your dogs out of the litter box? I'm at my wits end with these poo eating dogs, if you don't watch them, they'll eat the kitty turds WHILE the cats are making them My first thought was to make the cat box as unappealing as possible, but really, what's more unappealing than cat poop?! And let me just tell you, dog breath with cat poo is absolutely nauseating!! Aside from the gross factor though is that the scoopable cat litter can't be doing the dogs any good either!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

OMG I know exactly how you feel.... I had that problem also, the only thing that I could do to stop it, is to put the litter box up high enough so that the dog couldn't get to it.....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Princess in Waiting

I do the same thing - my litter box is up on a table so that the dogs can't get to it.

Now the problem has changed. The cat LOVES to go outside now and he'd rather do his thing in the open air than inside the house. So the dogs find "treats" when they go outside. YUCK!!

I've heard of putting meat tenderizer on the cat food; it's supposed to make the poop less desirable for the dogs (can you believe people actually study these things?). I tried it for a while and the cats wouldn't eat - which did make for less poop. There is another product that I've forgotten the name of - they have it at PetsMart or a vet clinic - to put on the food to keep the dogs out of the poop, but I'm not sure if it works very well.

There is a reason they do this, besides the fact that it tastes so darn good and drives you crazy!! Cat food has a much higher level of protein so that makes the poop taste better to the dogs.

Yuck. If you can find out a solution to this mystery let me know!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

LOL, the kittens are still to small to put it up too high unfortunatly. Glad I'm not the only one with dogs that like this particular munchie though I'll keep looking.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Princess in Waiting

The good thing is that they will grow big enough to put it up higher and cats like to jump onto things. Good luck in the mean time - and don't kiss the dogs' faces!!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

No problem there!! Scrappy got kicked out of bed this morning for breathing kitty poo breath on me! I usually just put the box down for them when they need it, but I have to leave it down over night and now with the gray kitty having the runs she needs access all the time! They'll be able to jump high pretty soon thank goodness

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Playful Pup

Kitty Crunchies!! Thats what I call 'em. The dogs love 'em!

I have my litter boxes in a spare bedroom, and use a baby gate at the door so the kittys can get in and out and the doggies cant !

__Chipper

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Ok, I'm laughing so hard here I can hardly type!

My mom's Great Dane absolutely LOVED cat poop. She would drool just looking at the box. EWWW!! My only solution was yelling. Then I thought......gee, if the dog eats it, then that makes cleaning the box sooooo much easier! Of course nausea would get the best of me and I would continue to yell (to keep from )

Luckily for me, my dobe doesn't seem interested in that stuff....or maybe she's sneaking around behind my back.

Rhonda

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

OMG I have never heard of this before! Thank goodness I don't have a dog (just yet..someday). Good luck finding a reasonable solution!

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Miss New Booty

Yes I have that problem too, its SO disgusting!!! My vet said they just like to do that, she has no idea why. I have read about this stuff on Dr Fosters and Smith, but I have never tried it or had anyone try it, just thought I would toss it out there? It's something to sprinkle on the cats food (which prob wouldn't be good right now, bc of their tummys and they are still kittens) but atleast something to check out.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=1&pCatId=3547
I have a litter robot, self cleans all the time, so our prob with them eating it has gotten better, although I have to add the old box back, since Snuggles decides he likes peeing on the floor better but thats a story in another thread.
I try to gate that part of the house off, so the cats can get in their room, but my dogs can't jump over the gate. (kind of like Angel was saying)
It's sooooo gross, to see my dogs come out and drop it on the floor, with litter all over their noses! WHY MUST THEY DO THIS?? lol

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

omg I don't mean to laugh - but I've had the same problem!
Jack, my Golden *loves* kitty snacks! I call them Kitty Roca (they look like almond roca - covered in litter)

I keep my cat boxes in the laundry room - and tried everything to keep him out of there! I ended up installing a cat door in the laundry room door - problem solved.
I know exactly what you mean about the cat poop breath - it could make you gag couldn't it! omg!!

I just trained Max right from the get-go to "NO!" "Stay!" right at the door. Now when I am in there doing laundry or scooping boxes or feeding the cats (I keep their bowl of dry food in that room too because Jack would scoff it down like he hadn't been fed in weeks!) and the door is opened, Max comes and lays down, with his paws just inches into the room If he tries to creep forward all I have to say is "OUT!" and he backs up- it's pretty hillarious! I KNOW he'd snack in there too if he had the chance.
I love my dogs more than anything but - they are such gross and tasteless creatures sometimes!!

Good Luck Becki - that's a tough one to solve!
I'm sitting here laughing hysterically at the mental visual of the dog snacking as the cat extrudes - kind of like a kitty vending machine

[center]

[
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

"Kitty roca"

You crack me up Deja!

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Becki, have you tried a litter box with a top on it?

Rhonda

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Sam's litter box is up in the attic in my bedroom. The dogs can't go up the ladder, try as they might, but they've not been able to do it yet! haha

I haven't got a clue if they would eat the kitty box crunchies or not but I don't wanna try. Far as I'm concerned, the cat box can STAY out of reach because having one whiff of dog breath plus kitty poop is plenty enough for me!

Tags
cat food, dry food, litter box, litter boxes, vet clinic