Leash Training & Play Biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Leash Training & Play Biting

I would appreciate any advice concerning leash training and nipping play biting in the bud (no pun intended) My 3 month old Dobie-girl, Casey, is very intelligent and pretty shy. When she plays she gets excited and starts with the biting. I've tried every humane technique I've heard of but she doesn't quit for more than a few minutes. She especially goes after my 7-year-old daughter. She probably thinks of her as a littermate.
The other problem is trying to leash train her. I've had dogs before but never had a sitter--not a puller. Off leash in the yard she stays right with me and doesn't leave our property. It's wonderful! But I love going for long walks. The second I put a leash on her she sits down and refuses to budge. I've tried waiting it out, tempting her with treats and toys, using the Gentle Leader harness---nothing works. She starts trembling like she's scared. Breaks my heart.
Sorry for the lengthiness. Any help would be fabulous!!!

sammykos
Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

When my puppy used to bite we used to yelp loudly like he was hurting us and he would stop.
He learnt very quickly and now whenb he gets excited he goes to bite but just a quick look and he turns it into a yawn like he wasnt going to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

LOL. I love how smart they can be! Thanks. We'll all start working on our yelping. My daughter will love it. It's certainly worth a try before she gets hurt.
I appreciate it!

sammykos
Namaste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
When my puppy used to bite we used to yelp loudly like he was hurting us and he would stop.
He learnt very quickly and now whenb he gets excited he goes to bite but just a quick look and he turns it into a yawn like he wasnt going to.
Similar thing here. Ein is my first dog, so I wasn't used to sharp puppy teeth when I got him. If he nibbled too hard, I'd say "ow" and move my hand real quick. He quickly learned what "ow" meant, and anytime I'd say it, he'd let go.

He also does the thing where he's about to nibble and changes it to an innocent "I wasn't gonna do anything bad" lick instead.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Also, after you give a loud yelp, be sure to ignore the dog by turning your back to her/not looking at her/walking away. It's what one of her siblings would have done.

It's the doggy way of saying, "You've hurt me and I'm not gonna play with you now." This should REALLY help get the point across.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!