Lick, lick; Scratch, scratch - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Lick, lick; Scratch, scratch

Gumbo's a scratching and licking fool. He'll lick at his belly for hours at a time if I let him, bites at his feet and knees, and scratches frequently too. The space in between his toes is nice and red, as are the pinnae. Inside his ear canal looks and smells fine, though.

Soo ... I'm thinking he may have allergies. I know it isn't fleas, his skin isn't flaking or dry, his coat's nice and shiny/soft, and he's on a high quality food. I'm going to have our dermatologist take a peek at him next week, but any additional suggestions are welcome.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

maybe an oatmeal bath?

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Like the Aveeno ones? His shampoo has oatmeal and aloe in it.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

yeah, couldn't hurt for temporary itches

as long as he don't drink the water. Or just use oatmeal from the cupboard.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Could it maybe be just a nervous habit?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsweets
Could it maybe be just a nervous habit?
I don't think so. He'll literally stop playing with a toy to scratch/lick.

Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think he could have an allergy. even if his skin looks fine, maybe he has a rash. if his skin is dry, it can itch, but it may even be a little painful because it cracks when he stretches. i would give him an Aveeno oatmeal bath and after that rub some cortaid or Aveeno anti-itch cream on his "itchy" areas. i did this for penny and even asked the ER vet, "what if she licks the cortaid off?" she told me that it was not harmful. she has had dogs eat the whole tube and be ok (granted it's not good to do that. ) so i would do the bath, then the cream. and, yes, the vet. you are a good doggy mommy!!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

This is the time of year that skin starts to get dry and itchy...especially for short haired breeds like Gumbo...Maybe add a bit of Linetone to his dog food to help get those natural oils back into his skin to help with the itchyness...we usually have to up the Linetone at this time of year for Kali and Orion too

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had added Vitamin E but he had some GI upset the last week (bacterial overgrowth - he's on some anti-biotics now) so I stopped it. I'll try the linetone, but I worry about him getting diarrhea again from it.

Stephanie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I had added Vitamin E but he had some GI upset the last week (bacterial overgrowth - he's on some anti-biotics now) so I stopped it. I'll try the linetone, but I worry about him getting diarrhea again from it.
Just be sure to use the recommended amount for his size and weight...Also, you don't have to give it to him everyday, you can give it every other day or even cut the dosage down a little. We've never had problems with it and diarrhea before. Once he's off the anti-biotics it'll be worth a shot...if it helps him feel less itchy and he doesn't get diarrhea, great! If he does develop it, cut the dosage down and see if that helps, if not, well, you could try eggs.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

this reminds me jade -
i would try Flax Seed Oil. i got some at wal-mart. just buy the soft capsules, cut them open, and take the oil inside and mix it with a little peanut butter (or whatever you want). you can put it in his food too. penny had very very itchy skin and dandruff and just giving her that every other day for about a week really cleared her up. i also use Selson Blue w/Aloe Vera for her shampoo. it really helps her! let us know!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

If it is caused due to dry skin omega 3 and omega 6 oils are the best thing out for that!! It's cheap too. He'd only need a couple of drops in one of his meals every day.....but you said he doesn't have flaky skin.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

he could have a bacterial or fungal skin condition. usually you see hair loss, but sometimes you don't. i had a big fluffy cat who had ringworm but never lost any hair. it was one of those freak things and she had so much hair you just couldn't see the fungus without the wood's light.

otherwise, i'm with everyone else about the dry skin treatments. be careful with the oatmeal because it can absorb oil from the skin making it drier. in girl scouts we were told that if you are ever campijng and have no water to wash your hair you can always rub oatmeal on your hair to absorb the scalp oils. it should have the same effect on animals.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
.....but you said he doesn't have flaky skin.
Right, it's nice and smooth. The tip offs that make me think allergies are the redness in the ears themselves, and the redness between the toes. I've combed backwards through his fur and it looks nice and soft and not irritated. Dr. T should take a look at him this week and we'll see what he says.

Stephanie

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Keep us updated Steph on what the doc says! I'm very interested to know. The toe allergy could be a grass allergy but then it's in his ears as well and that's not really common with grass allergies.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
black lab, dog food, flax seed oil, hair loss