Licking Windows - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Licking Windows

Ok my dog is obsessed with licking windows. Is he nervous or does he just want them open? In the car, once they're open he stops. And when we're outside the sliding glass door he does it sometimes, I like to think because he wants us back in. Other than that he is happy, intellegent, etc.

Anyone ever hear of this or have any ideas?

thanks!
Melissa & Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

synchronicity what do you clean your windows with?? He might like the taste!! I'd rule that out before you look into anything behavioural...it could be nervousness, ocd but if it's simple that's better!! Try cleaning your windows with just water and newspaper...you'll have to put some effore in to get it streak free but it will be worth it if your dog stops licking right?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I havent cleaned them in a while and he covers the whole window pretty frequently so I would venture to rule it out.
What to do if he's nervous?? Thanks for your reply! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok if it's a nervousness thing....well I have no idea!!lol But Deja will be able to help....she's sure to read this soon and give you a whole range of different things to try!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My first thought would be that the glass is cool and he likes the way it feels? Is this something he seeks out, or just does when he has the oppertunity?

If he has learned that by licking them in the car the window gets opened - I'd think he's trained you to open the window for him

If window licking is something that bothers you or you don't want him to do I'd try distracting him from doing it by offering a substitute - like a favorite toy or chew bone.

It doesn't sound like a nervous or anxiety driven behavior to me - it just sounds like something he's decided he likes - for whatever odd reason. Habits develop rather quickly! - especially if there is a pay-off, for instance - the window opening in the car when he licks the car window - and the patio door opening when he licks it!

You could try to hang a large sturdy jingle bell on a string from the patio door and teach him to nose or paw at the bell when he wants in or out. This is easily taught, they tend to pick up very quickly the concept of ringing the bell with the door opening to let them out.

Overall - I wouldn't worry to much about it - it is a pretty odd quirk though!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hahaha! I bet that's it! He is unusually intelligent, I dont know how it describe it. Except for the window licking of course, maybe! LOL

"There are no such thing as coincidences. Everything happens for a reason."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

"Hi. I'm Casey, and I'm a Lick-a-holic." "...Hi Casey!..."

<<<----------------------------------------

"There are no such thing as coincidences. Everything happens for a reason."

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchronicity44
"Hi. I'm Casey, and I'm a Lick-a-holic." "...Hi Casey!..."

<<<----------------------------------------

[center]

[
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

LOL That is soooo funny, hehehe!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Speaking of that, Claire has now become a mouse fanatic, I mean the mouse that clicks, lol. She has seen it on the screen and is now obsessed! She will sit in my lap, look at the screen for the pointer, lick the screen like crazy, and whine for the pointer to move and such. I had to make her get down, she was just going nuts! I was worried that it was really going to make her nuts!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Brandy - that is too funny that the computer mouse gets Claire so worked up!!
That sounds like something a cat would do! Actually - my cats have done that- try to chase the pointer on the screen around with their paws

I know that a dog's vision works a little differently than ours and when they watch TV they don't see a smooth continuous picture the way that we do - I wonder if it's the same with the computer screen and that's what gets her so interested?

I'm going to see if I can get Remy to chase the pointer The other 2 monsters would tear my screen to bits if they thought it was interesting!

[center]

[