Little female dog owners..... HELP - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Question Little female dog owners..... HELP

Ok Pixie (my chihuahua) has been in heat for a long time now (longer than any of my female golden's are in heat for) so I'm wondering how long they are usually in heat for? She's been swollen the whole time & after the first 5-6 days she bled.

Anyone? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 03:40 PM

My mom raised cockers when i was younger, and they didn't seem to have longer heat cycles than other breeds. That was a long time ago too, so i'm not 100% sure.

I'd call the vet and ask for their input. I'm sure you've already considered that though.

Good luck Nicole.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Claire stayed swollen for quite awhile too, umm like about 3-4 weeks. I wrote down when she stared bleeding but didn't remember to write down when she stopped. I think it was about 3 weeks actually.

I'd check with the vet too, just to be sure. Let us know what they say.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My Bostons were swollen for a week, then bled for a week, then the swelling went down about 4 days after the last day I noticed bleeding.

Rhonda

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wish I could help you! I have no experience at all with females in heat - let alone Toy Breeds I was frantic because the vet told me Remy was getting very close and we all crossed our fingers, toes and paws that she was able to be spayed when she was - because Max is in tact... we're planning on breeding him if he continues to do well (we're working on getting him ready for AKC Hunting Trials!) ...

Anyway - so off topic - sorry... I'd probably check with the Vet too, just to be sure all is well.
How is she behaving while in heat? Are you noticing any obvious behavioral changes? I'm just curious...

Keep us posted - I'm interested in finding out if small breeds have longer estrus cycles... How long has she been in heat?

[center]

[
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja
I'd probably check with the Vet too, just to be sure all is well. How is she behaving while in heat? Are you noticing any obvious behavioral changes? I'm just curious...

Keep us posted - I'm interested in finding out if small breeds have longer estrus cycles... How long has she been in heat?
Well I had an appt with the vet for today to take Dozer in to get his last shots and her to get checked, just because I'm over protective, but my vet just called, there was a death in his family. Sooo I'm going to have to wait until next week before I can have her seen.

She's been behaving pretty much like normal (not 'needy' like my goldens). She's been swollen for 2 1/2 weeks now... And bleeding for about a week and a half...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure14K
She's been behaving pretty much like normal (not 'needy' like my goldens). She's been swollen for 2 1/2 weeks now... And bleeding for about a week and a half...
That was about what Snooper did...Bled for about a week, then swollen for about 2 weeks or so. I'm paranoid too and would probably take her to the vet JIC.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Pixie ... I wish I could help but I got Ethel fixed before she ever went into heat. I hope the vet is able to give you a good answer ...

I do remember hearing that toy breeds have longer heat periods their first time ... Something about compensation for their size or something ... but I don't know much more than that.

I hope you find out something!

On a lighter note ...

Little Female Dog Owners ... I'm 5'1" ... does that count??
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfomatic
Little Female Dog Owners ... I'm 5'1" ... does that count??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

lol

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

What color is the blood? Dark red, light pink? If it's lighter pink I wouldn't worry too much. If it's still dark red after 10 days of bleeding, then I would be concerned.

Rhonda

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok well, I took Pix to the vet today & had her checked out and everything's good. My vet said that chi's can stay in heat for a longer than normal time (hence my golden's only being in heat half of the time)... Thanks for the suggestions guys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:08 PM

Yay! I'm happy she's okay.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Glad she's ok! Are you planning on breeding her Nicole? Just curious!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
dog owners, heat cycle