Logan Needs Surgery... Can you help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Logan Needs Surgery... Can you help?

Logan is a 10 year old beagle that I took in as a stray about 2 years ago. I've posted about him on here before. When he came to us, he had an injured back left leg. I took him to the vet and was told it was an old injury, that arthritis had set in, and there was nothing we could do except give him Rimadyl when it started to act up. This is what we've done for the past couple of years, and it's worked well until recently. About a month and a half ago he climbed the fence and when he jumped down the other side, he injured the leg further. It's gotten to the point that he can't even walk on it anymore. We took him to the vet at the beginning of last week and she told us that he has a dislocated hip, and needs surgery (something of a hip replacement from what I understand). However, the surgery is $400 and we can't afford it for him. We already have paid $75 and we have $100 on our bill, just from his hospital visit. I make $400-500 a month and we just can't do it. So I've been asking for donations because I don't want to have to euthanize him. He was in a lot of pain before Dr. Joyce hospitalized him. He's okay right now, but long term use of Rimadyl can cause liver failure, especially in his age. If you guys could help us out, even $10-15 would make a tremendous difference. We've already gotten two shelters to pledge $50 a piece. Two more said they could probably help, but they have to wait until their budget meeting at the end of the month. The vet we took them to is Shively Animal Clinic in Louisville, KY. We saw Dr. Joyce. Thanks, you guys.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Jade wanted me to make clear that this is not a donation for a shelter or anything like that... It's just us and Logan. Also, while you have no reason to trust that it'll be spent on this, I'll post a picture of him after surgery so you can see the leg as proof.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's the thread I posted when I first got him.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...651#post318651

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Still haven't heard anything else from the other two shelters. One called me back and said they could help but then said because I don't live in their county, they apparently can't. I called the clark co humane society and they can't help either. I think it sucks they can't help because I live 5 minutes outside their county, but I understand it's because they have so many to take care of there. So we're still just 1/4 of the way there. Logan is still doing okay on the rimadyl, but he's stopped eating well. The vet said it could upset his stomach until he gets use to it. I'll keep updates on here.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

UPDATE: He's still doing about same. I sent in two more applications for help. Still at $100.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you can get all the money together to get his leg fixed!

Have you looked into IMOM or any similar organizations? I've never personally used them before, but maybe they could help you out? Just a thought.

http://www.imom.org/

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I hope all goes well in the end, I know how hard it can be to come up with money for big emergency situations...Pup broke his front leg 6 years ago and with the surgery and all it was 4k, we sold our car for way under value to get it done...I hope you can find an organization to help...we got the pet care card (the credit card for the vets) and its great for emergency situations...

I will keep you and Loganin my thoughts and prayers

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM

i hope everything goes well with him. i wish i could help but moneys super tight right now.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

We found out he has to have blood work and his shots updated before he can get it done. So grand total is estimated to be $500 now, including the pain meds for afterwards. We're up to I think $395, so we're well on our way. Thanks.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

We now have enough, and his surgery is scheduled March 5th.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

WooooHoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so so so so happy for you

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Guarded by Waffles

YAY! I'm glad it all worked out!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 PM

i'm glad everything worked out for you
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:29 AM
laugh often

I am very glad to hear everrything went well. Let us know how he is after the surgery

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

That's so awesome! I hope the surgery and recovery goes well. Keep us updated!

Tags
dog bed, humane society