Major Itching + Buddy = Fleas!!! Fleas!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Major Itching + Buddy = Fleas!!! Fleas!!!

I posted a while back that my dog Buddy was doing some major itching and licking.. We took him to the vet and it turned out his glands needed expressed. Well, he started doing the same thing (about a month gone by) so we took him to Petsmart (only $10) and got them expressed again. Well now we think he has fleas. My wife thought she saw one on him and he has been itching and BITING non-stop for the past couple days. He also gave himself a very bad rash on his tummy and by his P-P.

We don't use any flea control at the moment. A couple questions I have are:

1. What can we do about his rash? I tried putting some neosporin on it but that only lasts for about 15 minutes because he licks it all off.

2. Flea control.. What is the best way to get rid of these fleas and prevent him from getting anymore. My vet recommened frontline or something similar but I believe that is expensive. Does anyone know where to get it cheaper, maybe online or something?

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buddy.jpg (24.4 KB, 43 views)

Romans 10:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Well I know that a lot of those online stores sell not the best products, even if its the same brand name...maybe you should call your vet and see if they sell it in one dose, my vet does, so instead of buying a 3 pack when if we are tight with money, we can buy a one pack for 12 bucks. Your vet might sell just one dose at a time too, call them and see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

One dose of what? Will that take care of his rash too?

I went to www.petcarerx.com and they had Frontline Plus 3 month supply for $34.00. Are you saying they can put NON frontline stuff in the box?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

No im just saying sometimes they sell bad products...hmmm lemme find the link...it was a thread before...ok I did a search, but I couldnt find it...anyways there was a thread warning us about online and over the phone pet supplies and meds...so I would just be cautious of who you buy from, you might want to ask a mod and see if they remember any of the places that didnt have the best reviews.

And what I was saying you should get is Frontline, its works for fleas and ticks. You can see if your vet sells them by one dose instead of 3, so you dont have to buy the 3 pack...at my vets, they run about 12 bucks a dose. Your vet might not even sell them by one dose, so you would have to call and see.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Here is the link to that discussion about online pet meds.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

In the meantime you can give him some benadryl, provided he has no other health problems and is on no other meds. The doggie dose is 1 mg per pound.

Also, I can't ever endorse OTC meds or online meds. I've seen cats and dogs go into muscle tremors and even die from toxicity in the ER I work at. I'd only recommend you go through your vet.

Stephanie

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thanks Becki for posting that link...I couldnt find that for the life of me!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

No problem, I just happened to remember where it was

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, I didn't relize there was a problem with online meds. With 3 dogs now I really had to find frontline cheaper- and I order it from England- it looks exactly the same as what's sold here - For some reason it's less in other countrys. The discount meds in the US and advertised on TV I find is really not much cheaper so I don't bother with them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I also wanted to add I just got heartworm meds from Australia- a different place I found on the web. I have not used it yet but I also have my dogs tested every 2 years for heartworm but that dosen't mean I'll buy from my vet. They have such a huge markup on their medication. I plan on doing something different in the future though and if anyone knows this is un safe please tell me.
I plan on giving my dogs ivermectine horse paste cut in a dosage that's safe for them every other month. This is in heartworm meds or some brands.
That one tube will treat 1200 pounds of dogs, and I believe it's safe for them. Like I said if anyone knows something that I don't I'd love to here before I plan on doing it. I am not suggesting anyone else try it though!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i think the best thing to do would be to take them to the vet's and have them flea dipped. and here's the trick: while they are there at the vet's, come home and flea bomb or spray your entire house. most of those things need an hour until you should bring your pets home, so this would work if they are at the vet's. they sell stuff at petsmart and even walmart that is good. the spray seems safer to me though. good luck and happy itching! j/j.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

for the rash: you can also try an oatmeal shampoo for dogs.
Won't rid the rash but will help with the itching.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well I went to the vet yesterday and got a 3 pack of front line. His itching seemed to have slowed down to just about stopped. His rash is getting worse (just because he won't stop licking it).

Also, are there any side effects to frontline? He has always favored his one leg but ever since last night he isn't even walking on it. He did fall off a chair but I just want to make sure it's not anything else but the fall.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I wouldnt think the Frontline caused it. It just goes on to the back of the neck, and soaks into the bloodstream...did you ask your vet? As far as I know, there wasnt any side effects like that at all.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No, that wouldn't be a side effect of Frontline.

Stephanie

Tags
pet supplies