Making a difference for a dog this Christmas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Making a difference for a dog this Christmas

So tonight I was sitting here and talking about Christmas cheer and the holidays and started thinking about ALL of the homeless animals who have nowhere to go this holiday season......I started feeling really sad for them.

So I decided I could help at least ONE dog this Christmas and will take in another foster for the holidays.That way that is one less dog that has to sit in a kennel over the holidays.

I am hoping to get a female.I am also going to have this dog with me for the holidays,so unless my family let me take her over there...then I am not going to go.I am supposed to go there for Christmas,but am not feeling very Christmassy...thats not a word I know.I have brought foster dogs there before,so hopefully they have no problem with it...hence why I want a female,cause their dog does not like other males.

If they do have problems with it,well I won't be going over.I know that sounds lame,but I just do not "feel it" this year and really only want to make an animal happy for the holidays.So I am opening my heart and home for a beagle in need this year and will be spending the holidays with the dog,whether I go to my family's house or not.

I want Simone back actually...some of you might remember the incident that happened recently where I had some issues and had to return her to the rescue,but the other volunteer who took her made some false claims (that I was smoking and making the dog sick...I do not smoke and the dog had lung issues before I even got her) and didn't want Simone to come back to me...she claimed she was "adopting" her...but looking on the website,I seen that Simone is BACK at the office/kennel...meaning she was not adopted and that volunteer has problems with me or something.

Anyway it is getting late and I am rambling now...so I have to close this thread.The point of it is I want to make the holidays a happy time for an unwanted beagle this year,because unfortunatly all around the world unwanted dogs and cats will be sitting in shelters and rescues this holiday season and it is quite heartbreaking.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Good for you!! I wish you could get Simone back too...not going to get into a rant about it...can't wait to see her. Hope everything works out for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So I think Simone IS going to another home.Hopefully.

I am getting a little foster in tonight though! A senoir dog named Pearl.I cannot wait to meet her,she is not even on the website yet...so I don't know what she looks like! I like suprises!! All I know is she is 10 yrs old,house/crate trained and good with cats,dogs and kids.And her name is Pearl.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

CANNOT wait for pictures!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

That's nice of you I wish we could foster, but we can't in our current apartment. But we made a donation to our local shelter and brought some toys and treats over for the animals there.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So Pearl will be here at 8pm.I cannot wait to get her.
Also talked to my family and they were okay with me bringing the dog over there for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
That's nice of you I wish we could foster, but we can't in our current apartment. But we made a donation to our local shelter and brought some toys and treats over for the animals there.
Thats good too! Any help is appreciated by the shelters.
Not everyone can foster,but there are always other ways to help such as donating and such.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Pearl is here.

She is a LARGE (not fat,just tall and big boned...and heavy).She thinks she is a lap dog,but boy is she too big for that...hahaha.She is afraid of the cats,but is a little TOO interested in the rodents,so I have to watch that.

She also does not have manners...as in she gets up on tables,digs into the couch (where she is heavy,she almost rips the fabric off) and also doesn't listen to "NO!" or "leave it!".

Actually thats the thing,she might be deaf or going deaf...because she ignores ANYTHING I say and I even attempted to clap and make loud noises and she didn't respond or even look at me...so we will see within the next couple days if she responds to me at all.I had to squirt her with water when she tried climbing into the mouse tank,as she didn't listen to me.

I took her on a short walk,nothing too long as it is pouring.She didn't wanna stay out in it,neither did I.And the neighbour's little dog who just had puppies (her 11th or 12th litter! Thats another story though) was out and attacked Pearl's face (probably being protective,since her pups were in the house) and Pearl didn't do anything,except back away.Thats good though that she doesn't wanna fight with the neighbor's bratty dogs.

I think Pearl is going to be a bit of a challenge,but I am ready for it.
She is definatly not as laid back and calm as Simone is (BTW Simone is in a trial adoption home right now! )...but I am happy to have her here.She does seem pretty quiet so far...but this is the first night she is here and sometimes dog's act a little different until they are comfortable with their surroundings.

I do not have pictures yet,but it will be tomorrow.
As I am typing this,Pearl is sitting and intently watching the rats.Ronnie has nipped her a couple times now when she sticks her nose in the cage,but she doesn't learn...

* Lisa *