Male vs Female? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Male vs Female?

Hello all,

I will be getting a little pup in the upcoming months and I had originally wanted a female maltepoo, but so far the litters were all males. I am now undecided on what sex to get.

The only reason why I didn’t want a male puppy is because of the humping and leg lifting that is associated with its gender. I really want my puppy to be with me by August, but not sure if that is likely if I am going to wait for a female.

Now, onto my question …

What are the pros and cons of female and a male puppy, and which do you prefer? I am planning to get the puppy fixed…but will the bleeding (for the females) and the humping & leg lifting (for the males) still exist?

Thanks.

- Melody
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my big dog is a male and hes never done the leg thing, he is my calm one, the 2 girls...well my oldest Lady does the leg thing lol and penny lifts her leg to pee...yeah I got a backwards group her...did I mention my boy squats unless we are in the mountains lol...I used to prefer only girls, but Puppers has been wonderful, and I am so thankful for him, hes the lone male in a house of Females lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The bleeding for the female will not occur once spayed. As for the humping, I've seen both male and females do this in the toy group. Most of the time it's not excessive and nothing to worry about. When you are housebreaking any small dog whether male or female, you need to be 100% dedicated or you will be housebreaking for months to come. The problem is they are so little it is not difficult for them to sneak behind furniture and go and you never know it! You have to watch them like a hawk LOL

I prefer both males and females LOL I think each has a unique personality and it is hard to generalize. I would say though that is it very important to get male or female spayed/neutered by 6 months.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

It has been my experience that males, while often devoted companions, are very territory minded.

Females are very person oriented.

As one of my psychology professors pointed out through various animal studies -- female dogs are more likely to defend children, owners, etc, from harm, while the males are more likely to defend the property.

Thus, it seems that male dogs may bark more in certain circumstances, while females might be more protective of the owner, or the person who spends the most time with her.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I have had both male and female dogs, and have no real preference. They are both equal to me.

I agree with Brenda 100%

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Newborn Pup

I don't think any generalization can truly be made between male and female. My first two dogs were both male. One was more cuddly than the other, but the other was more protective. Neither were very territorial (they were collies). One was ultra laid back, the other more excitable and hyper.

I now have a male and a female. Tommy, my male is not territorial at ALL. He is the cuddliest most affectionate "I need human contact 24/7" doggie I've ever had . He is literally my constant shadow. Tash is my angel, extremely intelligent and obedient, though at times a bit manipulative! She's definitely above Tommy in their pecking order. She is much more territorial than he is too.

I have to say none of my males have ever done the leg thing. They always had a clear picture that I am alpha and just never did that.

I think in the end a dog's personality depends less on gender and more on genetics and plain ole' individual character. I'd agree that you'll probably be just as happy with either, and that neutering while young is your best bet for reducing territoriality and the natural instincts to breed.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the input all. Like I said, I had originally wanted a female, but chose to go with a male pup instead because of availability. And, ya'll reassured me about the "leg lifting" and "humping". I guess it happens in both genders. LOL.

- Melody

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Male dogs who are fixed at 5 or 6 months of age, or female dogs either spayed or unspayed (especially smaller breeds) will "hump" as a dominance thing. My dogs (who are all fixed) do that with each other and my female guinea pigs and my female hamsters do that to each other. It's just some kind of dominance thing. Females who are spayed don't go into heat, just as women who have a hysterectomy (sp?) don't have periods... same concept. It is better, however, to spay and neuter. Along with the behavior issues such as marking territory and humping in males, fixed dogs tend to have better temperments, live an average of 5 years longer, and are just all around better pets. And, of course, they can't add to the overpopulation problem. I probably should warn you that some people believe that toy breed male dogs are more difficult to potty train. I know mine was, but he's not the brightest, so it may have just been him... He's the only male dog I've had.

And what I am about to say, I hope you don't take offense to b/c I don't mean to make you mad... I only mean to make you aware. Maltepoos are cute, yes, but they are not actually "purebreed" dogs, not saying that they are inferior to purebreeds. I'm just telling you not to let a breeder trick you into paying more than what they are worth, which I think anything over $200 is excessive, and even that is asking a lot. Check this breeder out well. Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing. Ask if she had the mom and dad and puppies vet checked for genetic defects and other problems such as worms and whatnot. I'm speaking from experience on this. I've been taken by backyard breeders before. It has made me very untrusting of anyone. I just don't want you to fall under the "spell" that BYBs seem to be able to put people under.

Again, I hope I haven't made you mad. I just want you to be careful and not get taken. Keep in mind also, there's plenty of puppies at the shelter, just as cute who need a home too.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I forgot to mention, start grooming no later than 8 weeks of age... Don't purchase a small breed puppy that's less than 6 weeks, the older the better b/c their blood sugar drops quickly...When your baby is a puppy, get him/her bathed once a month for two months, then once a month for two months get them lightly trimmed in between the eyes, around the feet, and in their pads and around potty areas. Don't do any major work (such as shaving) until he/she has been to the salon a few times or he/she will be terrified and hate grooming the rest of his/her life. Petsmart Grooming offers a puppy program that does this. I'm just recommending them b/c I work there and I know, but if you can find another groomer that does that, they'll probably be fine too.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
Male dogs who are fixed at 5 or 6 months of age, or female dogs either spayed or unspayed (especially smaller breeds) will "hump" as a dominance thing. My dogs (who are all fixed) do that with each other and my female guinea pigs and my female hamsters do that to each other. It's just some kind of dominance thing. Females who are spayed don't go into heat, just as women who have a hysterectomy (sp?) don't have periods... same concept. It is better, however, to spay and neuter. Along with the behavior issues such as marking territory and humping in males, fixed dogs tend to have better temperments, live an average of 5 years longer, and are just all around better pets. And, of course, they can't add to the overpopulation problem. I probably should warn you that some people believe that toy breed male dogs are more difficult to potty train. I know mine was, but he's not the brightest, so it may have just been him... He's the only male dog I've had.

And what I am about to say, I hope you don't take offense to b/c I don't mean to make you mad... I only mean to make you aware. Maltepoos are cute, yes, but they are not actually "purebreed" dogs, not saying that they are inferior to purebreeds. I'm just telling you not to let a breeder trick you into paying more than what they are worth, which I think anything over $200 is excessive, and even that is asking a lot. Check this breeder out well. Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing. Ask if she had the mom and dad and puppies vet checked for genetic defects and other problems such as worms and whatnot. I'm speaking from experience on this. I've been taken by backyard breeders before. It has made me very untrusting of anyone. I just don't want you to fall under the "spell" that BYBs seem to be able to put people under.

Again, I hope I haven't made you mad. I just want you to be careful and not get taken. Keep in mind also, there's plenty of puppies at the shelter, just as cute who need a home too.

Thanks for the info, and I took no offense whatsoever. BELIEVE ME...I did extensive research on which breeder to purchase a puppy from. I asked a lot of questions, and still am...

I may have also found a puppy mill/broker that are breeding these pups. Just my assumptions, but there are a lot of things within that website that led me to believe that this is a dishonest breeder.

- Melody

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, you'll find all too many of those.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
guinea pig, male guinea pigs, potty train, puppy mill