Mandy and her pills! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Mandy and her pills!

Ok so Mandy has yet another ear infection! I think she was born with one! Try giving her pills. She no longer will be fooled by the cheese, balogna,peanut butter, or even stuffing the pill into a big marshmallow. I know how to give a dog a pill the proper way, tossing it in their mouth and holding their mouth shut but don't like doing this to Mandy because of her heart condition. She takes her pills for her heart that way(I don't have to hold her mouth shut) but they're small and she's been doing that since she was four months old. So tonight I bought a few pouches of 'special' food and mixed the pills in the gravy. I swear she had me a nervous wreck this morning before work! Anyways one way or another I will get the pills into her! She is so spoiled and I have *no idea* how she got that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww poor Mandy! And poor you! Hmmm none of those things have worked huh? Did the special food with the gravy work tonight? That was my next idea, some canned food.. They usually love that! How about a piece of chicken or piece of hamburger? Also, what they say you can do, too, when giving a dog a pill...like you said, put the pill near the back of their tongue and gently tilt their head back. But, when you shut their mouth, try to rub their throat or gently blow on their nose so they might swallow it. Mandy is just too smart! Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon! Keep us posted.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You may have to do it the way I have to with Kali...she'll eat the food but hide the pill in her lip to be found later on the floor So, what I have to do with her is, pry her mouth open and put the pill as far back in her throat as humanly possible. Snap her mouth shut really fast and lift her muzzle (so she is looking at the ceiling) while massaging her throat. It usually goes down although sometimes she will manipulate it with her tongue and hide it in her cheek, in which case we do it again and again until it's DOWN! Check cheeks and lips for hidden pill! After it's down, we give her a treat and tell her to go get some water. It's not fun, but it works and that is most important.
Orion, well (I've said it before and I'll say it again) he's dumb...with him you just hold them out in your hand and he'll eat them like they are candy

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yea I tried all that stuff with Mandy but it doesn't work, she does the hold it in her lip thing too.The few times it did work it upsets her too much(not good for Mandy) But this morning I got her! I decided to have hot cocoa for breakfast. So I took the two pills to the table and then stuffed them in the marshmallows and she ate them! Maybe too much association to where she gets the pills. Right at the kitchen counter.
kittygurl yes the gravy thing worked well too!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Newborn Pup

Maybe you'll just have to change it up every few times you give them so that she get used to one specific trick. Also, making sure she drinks something after you give a pill is a good way to make sure it's not hiding in the mouth somewhere.

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -ASPCA

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." - Henry Wheeler Shaw

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Maybe I'll just shoot myself Tonight the gravy dinner was slow going. She's catching on. How many more days of pills left? I guess I'll have to be creative.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Playful Pup

Hi ChocPup, long time no type!! HEHE...

D.O.D. Friday August 13th, 2004
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi kiki! I pm'd you!

*update* Mandy is through with her pills! Still some more ear drops but we do better with those. We've been through big marshmallows, meatballs, canned food w/ and w/o gravy,chicken mcnuggets, etc.... but finally we're done!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Newborn Pup

YAY! No more pills, who's happier? You or her?

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -ASPCA

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." - Henry Wheeler Shaw

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ha I'm not sure! All I know is she really had me stressed out trying to get those pills in her! Today I gave her her heartworm pill(chewable) and at first she spit it out! I'm like oh no pleeeeeze Mandy chew that pill. And she did
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Playful Pup

Talking

Boy, I can relate! I would hide Charlie's pills in hotdogs, tuna, and chicken, but he caught on...too quickly! He also has ear infections, so what I ended up doing was putting the tuna in my hand (with the pill), and once I got it in his mouth, I also stuffed other food in his mouth quickly, things I knew he loved and he gulped them down, swallowing the pill in the process. Only once did I hold his mouth shut, but that was the morning he spit it out three times! The other time I struggled with my little monster was the day he hid his head between my mattresses so I couldn't see him. He knew when it was time for a pill...and when I had to use the ear drops. Fortunately, I only have four more days of pills...and three more of drops. I hope I survive, but since you did, that gives me hope!

the only harm in not trying is failure before you begin...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

new2dogs You can do it, just take a deep breath, exhale! If I survived it yes you will, just keep counting how many more days of pills and of drops like you've been doing and tell yourself you can do it

Tags
canned food, ear infection, ear infections