Manto chewing issues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Manto chewing issues

Ok guys...I need some suggestions.

Manto is a chewer. He loves bones & rawhides....and I mean loves them. He would chew 'em non-stop if I let him.

I buy the bones (knuckle, center & shank bones, meat filled, etc), rawhides (knots, twists, pressed), cow hooves, etc.

He also has pig ears...but those are like eating potato chips for him...they go down so quick! He also has large & x-large kongs, but he gets bored quickly with those (yep, I stuff 'em with treats).
He has a ton of toys and will chew on those if he doesn't have a bone/treat.

And we're not having any behavioral issues with him chewing on the *wrong* things....I guess I should be very thankful for that.

But....how often can I give him bones? I give him one daily and I've been rotating what I give him. But really, to keep him happy/occupied, I would have to give him a couple a day. I don't do this because I'm not sure if it's ok for him. How often and how many can I give him? Are they *bad* for him in any way?

Bach wasn't a chewer and neither are Snoop & Tito. This is my first dog that's been a big time chewer. Anything else ya'll can think of that I can give him to work on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I would stay away from the cow hooves. My dog was chewing one and decided to try and swallow it whole and she almost choked to death on it!

I don't think giving him things to chew on is all that bad, just as long as he's still eating his dog food and not filling up on rawhides and stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

It sounds like you are getting him some pretty good bones, quality wise...is he getting through the real hard bones in one day?? Like the knuckle kind? Our two are chewers too, and the knuckle ones usually last them 3 days to a week...When I get them bones at Sweet Feed, I get the hardest ones I can find...even with the rawhides...because like you said, they can be like chips to them...they are gone so quick...but a really tough rawhide can last a day or two at our house...he must be a major chewer if he can get through those knuckles in a day!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:08 PM

I had this problem with Rolo too. I bought the bones that are actually 8 or 9 rawhide bones compressed together. They are not hollow in the middle at all. He could chew on it all day long and it would still take about a week to finish. They are a little more expensive but if you compare the price of all the thinner bones he's eating it's a bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bone.jpg (4.6 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
How often and how many can I give him? Are they *bad* for him in any way?
Well with the BARF diet my dogs get bones every day. (Real bones though, not rawhide) I do give my dogs rawhide bones, cow hooves, ect about 3-4 times a week. HTH
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 06:46 PM

I have pitbulls who are KNOWN super chewers! We buy the mamoth cow leg bones, one each and they usually last about a month or two...they are available to the dogs 24/7
Rawhide can be bad for dogs, especially super chewers...they bite off hunks and can get intestinal blockages.
We used to get hooves...but only the black ones as Kali hated the lighter ones, but as she got older, she broke them off and often swallowed hunks resulting in vomiting...they can also cause intestinal blockages.
Pig Ears just gave them really bad gas as did the pig feet...we don't buy them anymore.
I've found the mamoth bones to be the best thing for my two along with their Kongs and balls and other indistructable toys, but finding toys for super chewers is hard to do! I may have a pic of them with their bones...hang on
Okay it is here http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/attac...chmentid=12185
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Did you ever try the compressed rawhide? They come in large sizes, and last longer than regular rawhide chips/bones.

I stopped giving the cow hooves to ours cause they give them some rancid gas!*phew*

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 PM

Nope I won't even touch rawhide...it expands in their stomachs and can cause too many problems...It's not worth the risk
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Would Manto be interested in Nylabones? Those are great for dog's teeth and practically indestructible.

Audrey and Greta (my folks Rotts) are chewers too, and Audrey can chew up those knuckles pretty easily... However nylabones, she hasn't gotten practically anything off of those.

The thing is, when they chew them, it looks like they're chewing it up but it turns it into a bristly toothbrush!

Here is a link to some I'm referring to:
http://www.nylabone.com/dog_chews/index.html

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:23 PM

"We buy the mamoth cow leg bones"

Where do you get those? That is HUGE!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 PM

I get them at Petsmart for around $8-10 each...you can also just buy the knuckle if the whole bone is too big for them to handle (some dogs are intimidated by them )
I've also seen them at the Grocery Stores...usually in the meat department I don't know if Petco or Pet Supermarket carries them or not...we don't have Petco here (and I wouldn't buy anything from Petco anyway) and Pet SuperMarket is on the other side of town so Petsmart is closer for me. I can conveniently get my NutroMax at Petsmart too so I almost ALWAYS have to get them their bones when I'm there!
They KNOW Petsmart bags too! Even if I go there and only get some toys for the chinnies, they see the Petsmart bags and think it's ALL for them!
Goofy dogs
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Redd
Would Manto be interested in Nylabones? Those are great for dog's teeth and practically indestructible.

Audrey and Greta (my folks Rotts) are chewers too, and Audrey can chew up those knuckles pretty easily... However nylabones, she hasn't gotten practically anything off of those.

The thing is, when they chew them, it looks like they're chewing it up but it turns it into a bristly toothbrush!

Here is a link to some I'm referring to:
http://www.nylabone.com/dog_chews/index.html
Nylabones are AWSOME IF you get the right one for your dog! The normal ones my dogs can snap like a twig but then again, I have Pits...but the Galelio (sp?) Is indeed indestructible!! Chunk has two of them around here somewhere...Kali perfers the real mammoth bones though. Oh and the Black Kong rubber bone that says it's Pitbull tested and approved...well Kali bit hunks of that off in a matter of minutes...I don't think they used the right Pits Got our money back for those though!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Oh and the Black Kong rubber bone that says it's Pitbull tested and approved...well Kali bit hunks of that off in a matter of minutes...I don't think they used the right Pits Got our money back for those though!
WoW... My neighbors (who breeds APBT's) use the black kongs and their dogs NEVER chew them down...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:49 AM

My two (pits) don't chew really anything. My husband was giving them the plastic container for instant coffee and they would spend hours trying to get the top off. I have to stand over them for obvious reasons, one starts to rip it up and spit it out like bubble gum and they other one is right behind trying to eat it. Don't need that surgery bill! They have gotten a hold of pvc plumbing pipe and seem to like that too. Luckily they can't, or haven't yet, break that apart. I have tried everything kongs, ropes, bones you name it. Anything that is edible they will start world war III over, its the only time I have ever seen them snap at each other. Kongs they don't go near, the ropes they play with occasionally they basically like to sniff and roll around in the dirt. I never said they were smart dogs. Oh and they will, if my husband is careless, chew a sock if its left near them or my hubs nasty shoes that I was so happy were destroyed.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jack is a voracious chewer! Max is just starting to come into his own as far as showing his "chewing strength". I banned all hollow rawhide from my house a few months ago. I never had a problem until Jack decided that he had to inhale his - then try to trick silly Max out of dropping his on the floor, to be confiscated by Jack...

Anyway - Jack can chew a pig's ear like a potato chip too! They are fattening and he has a weight issue - As much as they love them - I stopped giving them as treats because of that. Those heavy duty Black Kongs? MAX tore through the first one I tried - and I was so surprised I thought maybe it had a defect. He actually ripped a chunk off it. The regular Red Kongs - well, they play with those but don't use them to relax and have a "good chew". The compressed rawhide is stronger, but if I find they can split bits off it - I have to take it away because I too am afraid of intestinal blockage... what to do...

Cow hooves omg - I don't know about you guys but I can not stand the smell of them! Once they start chewing them, they start to smell SO bad I can't stand it! So... no cow hooves. They do like to chew the Booda Dental floss knotted roped - but I watch them carefully - and again - if bits are coming off - I take them away because - again - I don't know how safe swallowing the string is...

They have finally started to accept the heavy duty Nylabone shaped like a knotted rawhide - and it takes them both a good long time to wear them down, and no bits or chunks come off at all. I really have to find the kind of "real" bones you guys are describing... my only concern was that they may splinter them too - but apparantly there is less chance of that happenening with those then the rawhide...

Jack will sit for hours and have a good chew. He's always been a chewer. Max seems to be following in his footsteps.

I do give them Greenies 2 or 3 times a week, just because they are really good for their teeth and digestive system - but sheesh that gets expensive. Even tiny miniscule Remy will tear up and devour a little Greenie! They love, love, love them!

I think Chin Girl hit the nail on the head when she said we need to find the right strength Nylabone... if the dogs take to them and will work hard and enjoy the chew, the bristles that form are so, so good for their teeth and gums.

Nicole... where do you find the natural bones and what kind do you purchase? I would love to try a couple out and see what they do with them!

As far as how many to give him? I take into consideration the fat and calorie content - if it's a product like Pig Ears, they are deep fried (makes sense why they love them so much! they are like doggie chips!) and I'd limit those.
I'm with Jodi on this one - I really need to find a long lasting - safe and satisfying "chew" fog my guys too!

[center]

[

Tags
barf diet, chew toy, chew toys, dog food