Maybe? .. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Maybe? ..

Well me and my boyfriend has been together 3 years and he has a house with 2 kittys and 2 rats we both LOVE animals and we don't want to stop there LOL!

Are animals are well looked after so i think we don't need to stop we want a DOG hes always wanted one and i LOVE them!

So we have talked loads about it and we think maybe when the kittens are 7/9 Months old we might get a dog. He has a 2bedroom House no front garden but a BIG backyard all walled in so no running loose. He works but i don't he would walk the dog in the morning i would in the afternoons and we both would at night .
Would it be ok with the kittens if we got a pup ?
Ive ALOTTT of experiance with DOGS grew up with big breeds and small.

The breeds I would love would be a Pug, Shar Pei
HE would love staffordshire bull terrier, English bull terrier

I would love a pug because they have a nice personality and they are small.

Ive had dobermen, dalamations, Labradors, Wienmaraners So i think im ready for another dog.

What do ya's think ?

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Ahhh Claire, thats a wonderful idea! I think your ready to! Do you want a puppy or to rehome a dog?
If you get a puppy you can bring him/her up with the kittens so that would be good or if you rehome you can find a dog that you know does like cats.
I have some great news myself, we are rehoming a dog tomorrow!!! He is 6 years old and a black tan GSD cross and he is gorgeous! Anyway, thats another thread
I hope you find the right doggy!
Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Claire, you silly girl. You are going to have a zoo soon. LOL. Best wishes on anything you do. You have kindness in your heart, so any animal will be blessed to be with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would get a dog that is at least >1 unless you have a lot of time to devote to training. Since you don't know exactly what sort of dog you want, you may want to visit some shelters just to see what they have. Maybe you'll meet one that you both like. I've noticed some dogs just don't like cats at all, while others could care less. If you find a potential dog, you should have your kitten meet it first. That way you could see how he reacts. A lot of breeders raise their dogs with cats so they are friendly. Most shelters expose their dogs to cats to see whether they will like them or not. There isn't any breed that is good or bad with cats that I've heard about. It all depends on the dog and what he's used to. I had a dachshund that hated cats and chased them all the time, but now my current dachshunds don't notice cats at all.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Claire....you know I love you. BUT I don't think you can handle a dog right now. You've all ready expressed your own financial issues with your ratties being sick. It will be, financially, then times more with even one dog. You're often very concerned and scared about your ratties happiness and wellness. I know in my heart that you're capable of handling these rats, but something is always severely worrying you to the point where you confess that you feel VERY upset and hopeless. Only you know what causes you to react like this. Is it your lack of familiarity with rats? You need to assess this, because these feelings will affect a dog WAY MORE than rats or cats. Now, as I said, I KNOW you're smart and fully capable, but what I need is for you to realize this. *hugs* Your rats need you right now, to guide them as they get used to having cats around. If you get a dog, what then? The rats will be even more scared and confused. That's fine, but I really feel you're not prepared for that. Remember, I love ya lots, but you freak out quite a bit. Know that we're all here to help you when you feel like this. *hugs* I'm just worried that when you get a dog, you'll see the rats change, and you'll hardly be able to handle it, again. Before you get a dog, I would really like to see you fully gain confidence, understanding, and control over these rats and their progress dealing with the cats' presence. Again I'm also concerned about the financial position. I think it would be good for you, and your pets relationships, to just self reflect for a while, and really really get to know your rats. Please know I come in peace, I just want to voice my concerns *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with Nat.Actually before I even read her post,I was going to mention I don't think this is a good time.Wait another year or two and in that time,research different breeds and the pros/cons of each.In a year or two or maybe even more...you may be more ready.

With your more recent posts about the rats and how stressed and upset you were,well dogs are ALOT of work.And a dog may be too much for you at this point in your life.

*hugs*

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree with mulder and van_rat. Getting a new pet will affect all the other pets that are already in your home. You're just adjusting to having the kittens around, and they are not even grown up yet. I would also suggest waiting for a while.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

I know guys i agree with everyone,
Im being really silly these past few weeks im sorry about this post.
I should never even of thought about a dog.
Love you's x

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

hey, Claire... Your NOT being silly!!! I think getting a dog is a good idea, but I think that what everyone is trying to say is that you should wait a little longer, however, It is a good idea, you just need to sort out the kittens and your ratties first
Keep it in mind tho yeah
xxxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Wish some-one would close this post i feel so embarrassed about even thinking about a dog in my position.

Could a mod close it?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...Claire.
Don't be embarrassed.
Nobody here is making fun of you for being interested in a dog.

Like I said earlier...maybe in a few years time you will be more ready for the responsibility!

Loves ya!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

don't be embarassed LOL... And anyone can close the thread, if you say it is closed than it's closed... thats what I've been told anyways

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Aww hun *hugs* don't worry, we all get ahead of ourselves. I was personally speaking to you from my experience.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan