Me = Paranoid. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Me = Paranoid.

So I just got back from work with Gumbo (on my night OFF). Chris and he were playing tonight and somehow he got knocked in the eye or side of the head, we're not sure. He let out this yelp and the scar tissue that formed over the ulcers was bright red in the left eye. I talked to the doc and he said it was probably just broken blood vessels in the area - when an ulcer is there, the body sends all this extra blood to help heal it, so the vessels are more frequent in the area. He said to put some anti-biotic drops in it for a couple days and keep an eye on it, but if it got worse, bring him in. Of course, an hour later it looked worse to me so off to work we went, 20 mins away.

And of course, it's just the broken vessel, like Dr. S said. Gumbo was squinting pretty well b/c it hurt (like a bruise would) so he put some atropine in it to numb it and I have anti-inflammatory meds at home for the next few days. Gotta love being a paranoid mommy ...

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Oh geez Sorry Stephanie! Poor Gumbo! I hope he feels better soon!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:34 PM

Aww poor Gumbo I hope he feels better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

aww poor Gumbo.....I hope he feels better soon.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

poor gumbo wumbo!! don't worry, jade! i'm the EXACT same way. i know the names of the dr's at the ER vet because i've rushed the dogs (especially penny) there so many times. so no worries, girl!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 02:34 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh no, Steph!!! Poor Gumbo!!! I hope he feels better soon!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor gumbo Get better soon.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aweee poor Gumbo
Steph, there is nothing wrong with being a paranoid mommy
Hugs to you both

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 AM

I hope you feel better soon Gumbo! I'm paranoid too, so don't worry!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:54 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Good thing you work there or you would be broke!

Give him kisses from me!

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Don't feel bad about being paranoid. It's better than not giving a darn about him and something really bad happening a day later. You did the right thing Steph!

Rhonda

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Poor Gumbo. Will his eyes eventually heal completely? Or have they already healed?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I think we are all paranoid mommies here...its the only way!

Glad its just a broken vessel and not anything worse...hope he is feeling better soon!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Poor Gumbo. Will his eyes eventually heal completely? Or have they already healed?
The ulcers that caused the initial problem are totally healed. There is some white scar tissue where they were (which is where the blood vessel ruptured last night), but he still has decent sight. Had he gotten surgery, he would have very little sight.

Thanks for all the well wishes, he's feeling much better this morning. I think it was just sore like a bruise would be, poor baby.

Stephanie

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am glad Gumbo is feeling better! Give him a hug from me!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin