Meeting strangers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Meeting strangers

How does your dog react to meeting people in the street, at your house or in another building for the 1st time?

We took Indy to the park a few times and if anyone tries to stroke him he bends his back inwards so they cant touch him and then moves away.
If he is in the car and some1 approaches it he will bark.
He barks at people with glasses on.
Hebarks at men in other buildings but he does not be vicious just barks.
If anyone comes in the house he barks like mad even when he knows them and takes a while before he lets them stroke him.
Is he anti-social?
I want to stress though he is not bitey or vicious in anyway more afraid but putting a brave bark on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo loves EVERYONE. He gets soo excited, his whole body wags and all he wants to do is give kisses. He tones it down with little kids, but he's still thrilled to see them.

Stephanie

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i wish Indy was like that coz all the little kids want to stroke him but it was so funny to see his back inwardly arch like that as if to say "dont touch me"

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'd say that it could be a social problem with Indy, no matter how slight. Try taking a bag of treats with you when he is out, and when a stranger goes to pat him ask them to hold out a treat and let him get the treat off them..it should install confidence in him if he thinks every stranger is going to give him food! With the car thing, he may be feeling like he is trying to protect the car...a lot of dogs bark in a car if someone walks past but I don't imagine too many people would seriously try and pat a barking dog in it's own car!!! But Indy will enjoy himself mor eout in the street if he doesn't have to be nervous around strangers!

And to answer your question...Biscuit LOVES people!!!! Take her down to the dog beach and she's more interested in greeting the people than the dogs! She has to say hello to everybody there. Anyone that's an adult she'll jump on, but kids and teenagers she seems to sense that they won't be able to handle her weight so she just runs up to them but doesn't jump. On lead, say on a walk, she'll wag her tail like crazy and loves a pat! If they pat her for long enough she slowly jumps on them for a cuddle, but again not with kids! With kids she stands very still but her tail wags like crazy! she's the same in the house...she will bark at someone walking past the house but as soon as they are in the gate they are her friend! She gets so excited that sometimes we have to crate her for 5 minutes so she'll calm down!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think the woman who we got him off made him this way with throwing things at him.
Coz when she 1st came here she said he was anti-social and was surprised that he came near us.
he used to bark at anyone coming near him and she used to just let him where as we stopped that to a degree.
When he is off the lead he will bark at them and then run and hide behind me.
I am not sure if swedish ppl would be willing to do that treat thing though it is a good idea. they are not so friendly.
When Indy wants to sniff other dogs they get all mardy like they dont have the time of day for you. Whats the point in taking your dog park?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

well if they won't give him a treat maybe you could treat him while he is getting patted, to distract him from the stranger a bit! That could work too! I'd say it's definently a nervous thing if that's how he was treated! He just needs to have his confidence built back up again, that's all!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

he is very confident in the house.
it is just that he looks like he dont like them.
He is very moody. He even pulls moody faces when he dont get his own way and he turns his back on you.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Rebel is shy at first but when he sees Claire going up and rolling of for belly rubs he has to get in on the action haha They don't bark at strangers unless we're at home and they ring the doorbell or knock, which is a good thing I think. Claire loves anyone and everything Rebel does too with a little time

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I think I have a variety of personalities here. Rebel and Maverick will let ANYONE anywhere pet them. Nomad will check them out a bit at first then go to them. Gazoo is very reserved and only lets certain people near him. He is not aggressive, he'll just walk away and go lay down.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Gumbo loves EVERYONE. He gets soo excited, his whole body wags and all he wants to do is give kisses. He tones it down with little kids, but he's still thrilled to see them.
That's pretty much what my dog does. Lately he's been a bit more cal though. If we're outside somewhere he'll run over to where he can see them and sit down and just watch them the whole time wagging his tail.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Lady is one of those dogs that will give you kisses. She loves people. the only tiem she acted weird was when my dad came home from work and still had his hard hat on. She crowled at him. Oh and when a very shady person aproached me while we were walking.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It's common for dogs who were not socialized well as puppies to display that behavior. Carmen made an excellent suggestion about the treats -- I've had it work for me before. It's a good idea to address the problem because if he ever has that sort of behavior towards people -- especially neighbors -- then it can cause problems with them.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He never sees his neighbours...
We took him park today and he seemed better. He let a kid stroke him.
We sat outside a restaurant and had food and he did not mind all the ppl

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my spanial Lady loves everyone, she loves to play with people, she is very loving, Puppers is a sweet heart, he has no tail so he wags his butt, and I think thats so funny...hes an australian shephard, his personality is excelent, we take him everywhere with us, hes the oldest...Penny the yorkie only comes to me, she will in time come to people for a treat, but she had a hard life before us, she had never seen outdoors, and since I am the one home with her all day I am the one shes built the trust with, all 3 love each other alot, the smallest penny is the dominate one over all of them lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
dog park