messing inn the hous help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

messing inn the hous help

Hi everyone
I have a problem I have a pekinese puppy(Salino) and he alway wees or poops in the house,I do not know how to teach him not to do that,I heard some people say that you should stuff there faces in there own mess but I think that is horrible i'snt there a nicer way to teach him.
Somethimes when I see him weeing I shout at him and he imidiatly runs to the door so I THINK THAT HE KNOWS THAT HE IS DOING SOMETHING WRONG
Thanx

Janine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23834

The recommendations I gave there would apply here as well. I would start over with potty training.

And it probably isn't that he knows he's doing something wrong, he just couldn't get your attention quickly enough to go out. He's just a puppy and isn't able to hold it for long periods, especially being a small breed.

As for the negative reinforcement of putting his nose in it, aside from being just plain mean, all that does is teach him it's a bad idea to potty in your presence rather than in the house. It could actually make the problem worse if he won't go for you at all, in or out.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just want to say that yelling at him and him running to the door is him responding to your negativity (body language included) but he doesn't actually associate it with the potty in the house. Your best to ignore bad things and praise the good (like when he goes outside). It's like when you see that your dog has ripped something up while you at work...when you see it your whole body language changes and the dog reads that and runs away and hides, knowing you are really cranky...but they don't think 'she's mad cause I ripped up ............. they just know you are mad'
You'll get a better response if you praise the good things and ignore the bad...all dogs want to please their owners and if they know something is good, they'll generally do that instead of the things they get ignored for. It makes for a much happier dog too!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi
Thanx for your reply.
I have never stuck his nose into his mess and I do not yell at him,I just thought i'd say that because it sounds like you guys think I do this sort of stuff.I love my puppy
Ok so I will prais him when he is behaving good and ignore him when he is behaving bad.
Jade thanx for the link.
Sorry if I have offended someone,I didn't mean to I just don't like people thinking I am horrible to my puppy.

Janine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Janine I don't think Carmen was trying to accuse you of anything, I think she was only trying to help Hang in there, it is never easy housebreaking a puppy
The link Jade gave is a great thread and provides alot of info!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi NavyWife97
Sorry mabey I was over reacting.
Housebreaking a puppy os so difficult but I know that Salino can do it
You are always so helpfull.
Thanx

Janine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Part of the Pack

Don't fret your little puppy will learn. It just requires time and you being consistant. My last boy I had from a puppy and he was about 6 months before the occassional accident in the house stopped and he was almost a year before he could go all night, every night without my taking him out for a potty or two (or three or four or five depending on his age and how long I was in bed). Sometimes I'd be in bed 10 hours and it felt like I hadn't even been there getting up every 2-4 hours to let the puppy out.

In a year you will look back on these moments I am sure and smile. I still think fondly (in a strange way) of puppy messes even though I am glad I am not dealing with it with my new boy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Your welcome....hang in there, because we have surely had our share of housebreaking puppies and even full grown dogs and it is never an easy task!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just want to say I was not trying to have a go at you or anything like that. I never questioned the love you have for your puppy. However I mentioned the yelling thing because you did post this.....

Quote:
Somethimes when I see him weeing I shout at him and he imidiatly runs to the door so I THINK THAT HE KNOWS THAT HE IS DOING SOMETHING WRONG

You said yourself that you shout at him, why would I think otherwise? And I still wasn't having a go at you, I was just trying to explain that him running to the door is probably more associated with him reading your body language and listening to you and knowing that you are mad rather than him knowing that going to the toilet inside is a no no....once he understands that concept you will have yourself a toilet trained dog. Like I said before, dogs prefer to please their owners. I'm glad you are going to praise the good and ignore the bad though

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi RSbunny
Sorry I didn't mean to be nasty or anything ,I apologise .
When I sayed that I shout at him I mean that I say his name and no in a louder voice.
I am so proud of my puppy he didn't mess in the house the whole day

Janine
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

ok saying his name with a no followed is fine As long as you are confident when you do it, and not angry. I'm glad he didn't mess in the house all day!!! That's a great sign! He still could give you mishaps along the way, but he'll get there soon I'm sure!

Tags
potty train, potty training