Microchips - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Microchips

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul has an article about how microchips can make it easier to locate a lost pet. What are your thoughts on microchipping - has anyone recovered their pet using one of these?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I am allergic to maths

My puppy is microchipped but she hasnt gotten lost yet. I agree with microchipping.
Pros:
Its not painful, its extremely useful, its easy to put in.
Cons:
It can migrate easily so it needs to be removed and re-administred, you need a new one when you details change, depending on who its registered with it can be costly. Even with these cons I think its worth it in the long run
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I think that microchips are great because even if a pet is lost with a collar, there is extra protection, besides collars can easily get ripped off. My youngest cat has a microchip even though he is not an outdoor cat. He has escaped before, but we have never needed to use the microchip, sorry I can't help you there. I think that microchipping your pet is a very smart choice, why risk losing our best friends?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

We actually found a dog a while back, on 4th of July. Scared to death, she wandered into our yard. So we took care of her that night, and the next day we went into the local shelter and they checked for a microchip. They found one, but the info was way out of date. So we couldn't track down the owners. We had the dog for a little over a month, when we got a call from the shelter saying that the owners called in to report their dog lost (finally) and were so relieved to hear that we had her safe. They had actually lost their 2 yellow labs on 4th of July, and they found the male hit by a car. So they figured that their other dog was hit also, and were too heartbroken to put up signs or anything. So by chance they called in, and it was a happy ending. They lived about 10 miles from me, so their dog traveled far that day! If they had just updated the info on the microchip or updated the tags on her collar, they wouldn't have had to go through that pain of thinking their dog was dead for so long.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

I think they are great and it is true that they can be helpful. A lot of shelters now have the scanners so that they can easily find the owners (provided the owners did their part) instead of holding the dog and possibly adopting out or having them PTS. (Some shelters only keep dogs for a few days sadly).

I use multi ID for my dogs chip, DNA profile and tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
My puppy is microchipped but she hasnt gotten lost yet. I agree with microchipping.
Pros:
Its not painful, its extremely useful, its easy to put in.
Cons:
It can migrate easily so it needs to be removed and re-administred, you need a new one when you details change, depending on who its registered with it can be costly. Even with these cons I think its worth it in the long run
Not sure which chips you are familiar with nor where you are a located.

Here in the US (if you are elsewhere?) there are a couple main brands.

They are painful to insert, some react more to it then others. I'm sure to some it is more painful then others too. The needle is quite a bit bigger then that of a typically size used for a vaccine and the way it is inserted and twisted in can't be pleasant.

They can certainly migrate so you could have yours scanned for as often as possible. Say by your vet at check ups, to see if it has migrated or not and if so where it is.

There are basically 2 main companies here. Neither of them require you to get a new chip when your info changes. You simply update it with the correct info. I've never had this experience of having to insert a new one.

Neither are expensive
HomeAgain is $17.50 per pet
Avid is $18.50 per pet and they also have an option of doing 5 dogs for $50 which makes it a real good deal $10 per pet.

Check Them Out

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 AM
I am allergic to maths

Im in the uk. Im not sure of the brand but it cost us £30.You can register with 'petsreunited' (we are) so that you can change
your details without getting a new chip. Our chip is smaller than the regular ones, its just bigger than a poppy seed wheras most are about the size of a grain of rice. My vet makes it routine to check for migration when animals go in for a check up.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Curmudgeon

There are different frequencies for the chips/scanners in different parts of the world (and sometimes even within countries). Make sure that whatever chip you choose is the one that can be detected by the scanners at the local humane societies and vets.

At the zoo, every animal that was big enough was microchipped. There was rarely any migration. Even if there was, it was usually not too difficult to locate it. Personally, I don't see any downside at all to microchipping your animals.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 08-23-2009 at 09:15 AM.