to microwave, or not to microwave.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

to microwave, or not to microwave....

Coco needs to get wet food every morning in which he takes his joint pills with. so i open a can of wet food give him some and put the rest in the fridge. next morning i repeat but this time i have to microwave the cold stuff so he'll eat it. i never thought about it until like 2 days ago but is this even ok?? i know microwaves are bad for us since they leave trace amounts of radiation in the food but what about doggers? any one know anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I have microwaved enough to slightly warm it, it wasn't for a dog thou, cats. I dunno if it is good for them at all but should be fine.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

It alters the nutritional value is another big concern, not just radiation. It is fine to do a little or sometimes with can food like that. He is still getting plenty of nutrition from his other food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Check Them Out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you thought about boiling water, putting the dog food in a baggy (sealed), then letting the food sit for a few minutes? That should warm it up. You may need to rotate the bag around. I often thaw veggies and stuff that way. Sometimes I warm up marinara sauce from the freezer that way and it ends up being pretty warm.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM

i like the boiling water idea, i've done that a couple times. if you dont want to spend money on baggies though, you could just heat it up in a pot on the stove. it means washing the dish though, so i guess its the choice of evils lol.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

That is the only thing, waiting for the water to boil then having to clean the pot &using up a platic bag...I am lazy I guess!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Part of the Pack

wow, I didnt knwo about the radiation!

give your love no matter what.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
wow, I didnt knwo about the radiation!
yea microwaves have very small amounts of radiation, but as far as i know the US goverment and the FDA and all those other people that test those kinds of things havnt said they were actually dangerous to us unless your microwave is malfunctioning. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

thanks guys..!!

first, he's used to getting his wet food(he hasnt yet caught on that theres medication in it so SHHHH) in the morning. i have T minus 1 hour to get him out,fed,and me get ready in the mornings before work. it gets pretty hectic that i dont normally eat myslef..so boiling water and waiting for that is out of the question if im to keep him fed in the morning. also,our microwave was bought as a house warming gift when mom and dad moved into their first home afer having Lisa(vanilla rat) so you can imagine the concern here about radiation on a 24 year old microwave...but the water idea is a good idea,thanks for that-ill put it in my mind's storage for now and hopefully may try to wean him off wet food ion the mornings and aim it at the evnings.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 AM

the best recommendation i can have to to have some of it ready already. like, have the portions with the meds in bags, and then heat them in hot water in the am? mebbe you can wrap it in foil, and throw it in the oven while you shower or whatever in the am? just my suggestions, i had a sick rat for a very long time, and had to get up very early to make sure that every am she got enough food to get her through the day, as she was only eating what she was handfed... so i know that it's hard to deal with a pet that needs help in the morning. best luck! ps- you and 'vanilla rat' are sisters?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

keeping pills in wet food sometimes deactivates the pills though

i suggest maybe getting smaller cans so you give a whole can at a time at room temp?

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

We used to give Allie Wet food as a treat, and she was too small to eat the whole can, so the next day we would just put some hot tap water in it and mixed it up. it made it a little more soupy. but she didn't care,actually she prolly liked it more. My aunt had to give her cat canned food with medicine in it twice a day while she was at work (luckily her boss let her bring her cat to work) She used an old bottle warmer to warm it up.

My Furry Family
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
thanks guys..!!

first, he's used to getting his wet food(he hasnt yet caught on that theres medication in it so SHHHH) in the morning. i have T minus 1 hour to get him out,fed,and me get ready in the mornings before work. it gets pretty hectic that i dont normally eat myslef..so boiling water and waiting for that is out of the question if im to keep him fed in the morning. also,our microwave was bought as a house warming gift when mom and dad moved into their first home afer having Lisa(vanilla rat) so you can imagine the concern here about radiation on a 24 year old microwave...but the water idea is a good idea,thanks for that-ill put it in my mind's storage for now and hopefully may try to wean him off wet food ion the mornings and aim it at the evnings.
aww...you guys are sisters?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

yeah-me and Nilla-Rat are sisses!!

Also,i do thank you for the help.i didnt know wet food will deactivate-so to speak- meds.its not real meds though,i probably should have said thats it only Glucosamine and Chondroitin which the vet said may coat his pre-arthritis joints.

I should get smaller cans and baggie them up in one serving portions and leave one out overnight to thaw from the freezer , will freezing it do anything to the food? i dont put the pill in until right beforer i drop the food down for him.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 PM

awww thats so cute that you guys are sisters!! awesome stuff. i'm not sure about the freezing thing, but if you get a small can you could probably just baggy it up and put it in the fridge depending on how long it would be there. if its going to be a while, the freezing might be better so it doesnt go bad. idk though, hopefully someone else does.