Mighty - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mighty

Here's our Toy Fox Terrier Mighty! We've had him for almost six years now. He's a great loyal little (5 lb) dog with really bad breath!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Alika

He's cute I didn't know you had a doggie, either. Hmm.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

he's cute!!! Bad breath is generally a sign of bad teeth.....you might want to get him to the vet for a checkup...he might need to have his teeth cleaned. If you let it go he could have further health complications from the bacteria from his teeth and gums going through his system. Just a heads up

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I thought I've posted pics of Mighty at birds.com? I guess not, lol! Thanks for the info RS. We've had Mighty's teeth cleaned and given him doggy mints, but it doesn't really help. We are going to schedule a teeth cleaning appt. soon, as his breath is pretty bad. We're going to talk to the vet about his bad breath when we get him in. He's always had gross breath, though. It seems like smaller dogs often have worse breath than larger dogs. (Don't know if that's true, just seems that way sometimes.)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

does he chew on any bones or anything? If you don't like giving him raw bones (raw chicken wings would be good for his size) the rawhide bones are quite good. I know my mum's dog used to refuse to eat anything hard and her teeth were nearly ready for a teeth cleaning. I had her for a weekend, and for the first day all she got offered was chicken legs (raw....she's a beagle x kelpie) and by the end of the day she ate it and now eats raw bones every day and doesn't need a teeth cleaning!!!!

If you don't want to try any of that, there are special dry foods out there that are designed to clean their teeth while they eat. Otherwise a good old brushing works well too!!!! We have only ever had small dogs in at work (while I've worked there) for teeth cleans. I think it's because the owners can't imagine feed their little dog a big bone!!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Cute dog! RS Bunny had some good advice about the teeth, and getting a vet to clean them is a good idea..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

He won't really eat bones. He does like raw and cooked bones, but doesn't get them all that often. Believe me, we have tried brushing his teeth ourselves, but we can't! Mighty is a lot stronger than you'd think (and a very good wiggler, too)! I'll try bones more often and see if that helps. I've heard that chicken bones are too soft and break too easily for dogs?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Miss New Booty

He is such a cutie!!!
Good advice, Carmen! Also, have you tried Greenies? Those are very good for the doggies teeth, too!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

josie I wouldn't give your dog cooked bones. It's cooked bones that will splinter and cause problems. I feed my dog raw chicken bones and she loves them!! I feed the BARF diet and she mainly gets chicken bones and her teeth are as white as white and she's almost 4 years old! Just make sure it is something he will chew on, not try and swallow whole (he may try that with a chicken neck) and he should be fine. If not move him on to small raw meaty bones!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg! i love your TFT! i want one sooo bad! and i totally agree about smaller dogs having gross breath!!

i would not give raw hides because my yorkie chewed off a big chunk one time and started choking on it. i had to take her to the ER. make sure that you get teeth cleaning bones that CRUMBLE and don't come off in big chunks. Greenies are really good and so are Denta-Bones.

i love your doggie! how are TFT's? i'm thinking about getting one in a year's time or so. (big maybe on a 3rd dog).

more pics!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

What a cute little doggie!

Tags
barf diet, dry food, toy fox terrier