Mirra's first day of school - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Talking Mirra's first day of school

Well, we're back from her first day of school! She, of course, wanted to play with the other pups when we got there but quickly settled down and was doing everything right. At one point the trainer brought her to the front of the group to use her for a demonstration. I was so proud!

BUT....the last 15 minutes we were supposed to practice sitting and staying. Well, at this point Mirra was bored out her mind. Everyone else's dog was sitting nicely and behaving, but Mirra was daydreaming, looking around and blatantly ignoring me. She couldn't care less how many treats I tried to bribe her with. She was bored and nothing was going to make her pay attention. At one point I was pushing her butt down and the trainer pointed that out to everyone as an example of what NOT to do. Lovely. My star child is now Miss Wild Woman.

Anyway, we plan to practice and be the star next week!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

aw! sounds like she had fun, though! that's so cute. i bet she'll get the sit, stay next time.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww Rhonda! Glad it went well for the most part! Hopefully next week goes better with "sit" and Mirra is a good girl!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

I'm glad she did well, at least for the first part . I hope you guys knock 'em dead next time

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aww, what a great day! She did awesome! And I'm sure she'll continue to blow them away!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

awww poor Rhonda and Mirra. She'll do better next time i'm sure of it.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Mirra was just trying to say it was her nap time.

I know how she feels! When nap time comes, you simply can't listen anymore!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Sounds like Mirra did wonderful! Even though she didnt want to sit at the end...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Aww, sounds like Mirra did okay on her first day. You said towards the end of the class, Mirra was daydreaming, being stubborn, and bored. Um, she wouldn't be a Bull Terrier would she?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise
Aww, sounds like Mirra did okay on her first day. You said towards the end of the class, Mirra was daydreaming, being stubborn, and bored. Um, she wouldn't be a Bull Terrier would she?
The trainer actually said "I know what you're going through" (She has 3 Smooth Coat Fox Terriers) She said "If you can train a terrier, especially a BULL TERRIER, you can train anything! Keep at it!"

Rhonda

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

way to go Mirra and Rhonda! Maybe you might need to give her shorter training sessions..finish her earlier and build up her attention span. An hour is a long time for a puppy to be concentrating so don't feel too bad!! And if she's anything like Biscuit she won't pay any attention to you at all next week, cause she'll be just way too excited! but Biscuit was great at home and by week three was definently back to improving her intelligence!!! Good luck!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Actually the puppy class is 30 minutes. I usually do 2-3 15 minute sessions everyday at home, but I think I should try to work up to 30 minutes at home so we don't have the same problem at puppy class.

Rhonda

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh ok! I remember when we were training the trainer said it's better to end a training session before the dog gets distracted...I know that's hard to do at puppy preschool but if you do at home and end with a command like 'finish' or something then she will learn to wait for your command and that's supposed to be the easiest way to build their attention span!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Great idea! Thanks!

Rhonda

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

No worries!!! I bet you and Mirra end up being the best in the class!!!!

Tags
bull terrier