Mites - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Mites

My step-mother's dog had mites. I had watched her for a weekend and she was with our older Springer Spaniel Gracie. The vet of the younger dog told my step-mom it was not contagious however, there is now a "bald-spot" near Gracie's nose.

The younger dog was being treated however still showed signs of the problem. Is this thing contagious? If so do I need to worry about my new puppy catching it from our older dog(if she does indeed have it)? The new puppy was given pills for paracites from the breeder as a protective measure, does this protect her?

Any information on this problem with dogs would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The medicine puppies are given when they are young are for internal parasites (worms). They won't protect a pup from ear mites.

Dermatological problems such as fungus (ringworm) and mite infestation (certain mites cause mange) are often seen in *weaning* puppies. Since your puppy has already been examined by your vet, I wouldn't worry too much about her in that regard.

Otodectus is the mite responsible for paratizing the ears (of both dogs and cats) and is different from the mites (Cheyletiella, Demodex. Psoroptes, and Sarcoptes) that cause mange. Skin scrapings examined under a microscope is the only way to identify which parasite is causing the infestatation and resulting symptoms.

Since Gracie is a Springer, I am assuming she is Liver and White? Does she have a white blaze on her nose? I'm also assuming her nose leather is "eraser" colored or Brown and not black?

If this is the case she may be more prone to sunburn. Also, digging in the yard and poking through dirt and brush with her nose can also cause balding and irritation.

Earmites don't jump from dog to dog so I wouldn't worry about the puppy or Gracie getting ear mites from playing with the infected dog - especially since the dog was recieving treatment.

If you are worried about Gracie and she seems to have more than just exposure irritation the only way to know for sure is to take her to the vet and have a skin scraping done.

Good Luck

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[

Last edited by Deja; 06-20-2004 at 04:47 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Playful Pup

Hmmm... Nicki somehow has earmites right now... where'd she get them? Anyway, they are only in one ear, and neither cat has shown any signs of mites. I was worried about it too. So far, so good with it staying only on one of Nicki's ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

catnapper, are you treating her for the mites? If left untreated an oppertunistic bacterial infection can take hold...

I hope she's better soon!

[center]

[
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Playful Pup

Yes, not to worry. Her mites are all gone now. I am hyper about health issues with Nicki. She's allergic to soooo many things and whenever I see her scratching new places (like her ears) I take notice and react very fast. When she was younger, she nearly killed me on vet bills. I now know what to watch for with her so the vet visits are tolerable. I work from home, so I notice things ten times faster than I would if I worked "in the real world"

Thanks for the concern.

Tags
ear mites, older dog, vet visit, vet visits