The Monster Leash - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

The Monster Leash

Hello!

My husband and I decided that we needed to add a new face to our family. After a long search we found a beautiful and sweet puppy and have dubbed him Boost. Now Boost has never had a collar on and has definitely never seen a leash. He's the sweetest pup ever though and follows me around directly on my heels everywhere I go.
Now I would love to be able to take him places and go for walks. I got him a collar and a leash and clipped him all up (hoping he'd just follow) but the minute the leash is on him he turns into a statue and refuses to move. Occasionally when he does decide to move its to jump in circles and desperately try to escape the monster leash. Now I've never had this much trouble when introducing a puppy to a leash. I was just curious what other advice people had for me. I've done everything I can think of! This includes just letting him roam with the leash dragging behind him, playing with him while the leash is on and even coaxing with treats. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've read, especially for cats in harness training, if they lay down it's fine. Take it off for a while. When they become accustomed to it being on, take it off for a while so they're not consistently bothered by it. Also, you can put it on, and feed him treats IMMEDIATELY. I dunno if that's what you're doing. Distract him as much as possible. You might also want to consider a harness, instead of a collar. Collars pull at the neck. It's possible the leash is heavy and he can feel it tugging at the collar and the collar tugging at his neck. At this point you should probably get a lighter leash, or invest in a harness so he doesn't potentially feel like he's being choked.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Id try a harness my little guy wont walk with a collar on but will walk if the leash is hooked up to a harness without problem.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Lovely name, congrats! Training definitely will work, especially when eating or playing, he will soon get used to it.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
leash, training