More Dry Flakey Skin Woes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Post More Dry Flakey Skin Woes

Over the past two weeks or so Jack has once again developed very dry flakey skin. When I brush him the flakes just distribute and spread all through his coat

I am reluctant to bathe him for fear of drying him out more.

I haven't had this problem since I switched him to Wellness food.

I'm wondering if it's due to his seasonal shed. He's not itching or scratching so I'm assuming it's nothing serious. He's been prone to this since he was a young pup.

I'm doing to try my old faithful olive oil suppliment for a week and see if I notice an improvement.

Any suggestions or tips would be great and I'll certainly give them a try!

It's frustrating because his coat looks shiney and beautiful - it's coming from his skin... ew

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

You know what... I have no clue what to tell you to do...right when I read the title to your thread I immediatley thought "change to a premium food" But you already are on a premium food, Harlie was the same exact way. She had the worst skin problems as a pup, you could peel the skin almost like she had a sunburn, it was really disgusting, once we put her on Wellness, it went away. Now, the only time she flakes up is when she is stressed out, like if she is in her crate for an extra long time, or if there are new people over that she doenst know yet. It usually goes away after a few days, but our vet recommended some oatmeal medicated shampoo, I dont reacall the name I'll have to look at the bottle when I get home, but it has some kind of tar in it to keep the moisture locked into the dogs skin. It works really good for Harlie when she has her flaky days, but it had a really stinky odor. I hope you get it figured out!!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Melissa, the name of that medicated oatmeal shampoo would be so appreciated. It's just frustrating because I've battled that darn flakey skin since he was a tiny pup. I'd get it under control for a while- and bam - it comes back!
I'd thought I had it all solved when I upgraded the diet to Wellness. I was totally in awe of how he looked. Soft and shiney - no flakes at all!
I don't know what is causing it. My vet doesn't think it's serious- he says Goldens are "just prone to it". Ugh. I know he's getting up there in age and if I don't see an improvement soon I'll take him in for a good work-up, even though he just had one recently because of the Lyme Disease.
I'm going to be boarding him over the holidays for a week so he needs a required vaccination in a few weeks anyway.
I knew when I got him that his coat would require daily care- that thick undercoat is just amazingly.. well, thick. LOL

When I brush him I use an undercoat rake. It's unreal how much white fur I get off him! I could make 3 puppies with it

Anyway- the oatmeal shampoo sounds soothing... and if I can find it in my area I'll certainly give it a shot! Thanks!

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 11:28 PM

My Eve (black cat) has this problem, I haven't tried the olive oil suppliment yet though. The health food store by me carries this great but of course very expensive suppliment for skin and coat. I don't get it either. She is on premium food, she doesn't itch and she so shiny she looks like patent leather. When I get close to her I see all of these big white flakes. She was just at the vet and he said she's fine so maybe it is just the change of season.

Deja, what is the dosage you use for your cats and do you mix it in with dry food or wet food or do you just shove it right down there throats?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Dena, I sprinkle about a tablespoon onto their dry food, then stir it up to distribute it.
They gobble it up! They must like the taste? Strange doggies

I do it for a week or 2 and I usually start to see improvement in about a week.

Since I switched to the Wellness food I hadn't olive-oiled their food at all. I did start adding it at tonight's feeding.
I haven't seen them gobble up their dinner like that in a while!
I've never used it on my cats but I noticed that my oldest is starting to look a little flakey... They eat Nutro-Maxx. I'm thinking it has to help with hairballs too? I free-feed the cats so I didn't want the oil sitting in the bowl too long.
I think I'll separate some out - add the oil and offer it that way. They might see it as treat-time and eat it all up too!

[center]

[
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Hey Deja! Sorry sorry! I forgot to tell you the name of the soap!! Ok I brought it to work with me today so I for sure wouldnt forget! Ok its called NuSal-T shampoo, (Salicylic Acid Coal Tar Menthol) It also says Antiseborrheic Antipruritic Conditioning Formulation for Dogs. It is made from a company called DVM Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Ok the product description says: NuSal-T is an antiseborrheic, mentholated, fragranced, soap-free shampoo consisting of a unique combination of surfactants and coat conditioners.

The Indications says: Antiseborrheic, antiseptic, keratolytic, antipruritic. Relieves irritation, itching and skin flaking associated with seborrheic, atopic and nonspecific dermatoses.

I thought it had oatmeal in it, but I guess it doesnt, I have another medicated shampoo at home that we tried for Harlie when she was a puppy, incase it was a walking mite, which it wasnt, but it has the oatmeal in it (and smells a little better lol)

Anyways, the Active Ingredients are: Salicylic Acid 3%, Coal Tar 2%, and Menthol 1%.

It really worked on Harlie and left her coat looking fresh and shiney. I give her a bath with it about once every 3 or 4 months.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

~Melissa

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wouldn't hesitate in bathing more because it removes the dead skin and dirt. I know a lot of people say don't give a dog too many baths but in my opinion it's and old wise tell. I've seen proof of frequent baths making the skin healthier, I'm a retired dog groomer. I give my dogs a bath 2 X a month- they have beautiful healthy skin. I've also seen dogs with dry skin change to normal skin after getting baths regularly(1 X a month).
Sounds like your dog has a skin condition though and I'm not sure it would help a whole lot, but I thought I'd just tell you what I've experienced with giving baths.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks guys!! I think at this point a bath is in order and what Linda said makes a whole lot of sense.

Melissa- thanks so much, I'll look for that shampoo! If I can't find the dog variety the ingredients sound like Neutrogena T-Gel. It has that coal tar in it. Maybe I can use that?

It sure is frustrating because I try my best to keep his humongous hairy coat in good condition!

Thanks!!

[center]

[
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might also ask around and see if you can find a board certified Veterinary Dermatologist. We have one in our practice and the things he's done for some of the dogs I've seen are nothing short of miraculous!

Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Hey Deja, I was just thinking about if you could find the shampoo, I do think it would be similar to Nutrogena T-Gel, but I dont know if it would have the conditioning in it that Max might need. Just so you know, when Harlie was a puppy and had the worst of her skin problems, my vet said that if her skin was really really dry that it was ok to put some aloe on her skin, and possibly a baby oil that was unfragranced to help with the conditioning. Anyways I just looked up on the net to see if DVM Pharmaceuticals had a website, and they do, so I'll post a link to the shampoo, so you know what the bottle looks like incase you see it at your vets.

Here it is:
http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/di...al-T%20Shampoo

~Melissa

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 01:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

I`m starting to feed my gang more fish (for the oils). They say fish oils are suppose to be pretty good and you can buy different types of fish oil. I think I am beginning to see a sheen but it hasn`t been quiet long enough yet to tell for sure. They have always gotten Brewers yeast daily in their diet alone with the Omega oils but my gang seems to stay a bit brittle so i thought i would give the salmon and sardines a try. As I said, it appears to be making a bit of difference.

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Hey Dejo, I had to put omega oils into my bunny's diet cause they weren't getting enough oil in their diet and one of them got dry flakey skin. It could be the smae with your dog. also when you give your dog a bath get your fingers right on the skin and give a really nice massaging scrub. Do this twice. The first time will loosen and exfoliate all the dead skin cells while the second shampoo will wash it all away. I'm sure that you probably think I'm nuts for saying this but I used to be a hairdresser and that is the correct way to shampoo all round!! The massage with the fingers will also help to promote circulation to the skins surface.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
black cat, dry food, health food store, lyme disease, wet food