Morons! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Morons!

Someone is selling puppies on E-Bay! I've already notified E-bay of this, but this MORON is advertising English Pitbull Pubbies! Yes it actually says 'Pubbies' not Puppies! Not only that, but they've docked their tails and removed their claws! ARGH!!! I want to hunt these idiots down and beat them with their own appendages!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's horrible...and the poor things, with their tails and claws gone...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

They look like they have claws in the pics. What do they mean by "cut claws?" Dewclaws removed? Declawed? Claws trimmed? o.O

Removing dewclaws is normal and in the dog's best interest, usually. Declawing a dog? Stupid. Trimming puppy claws? Strange.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Wow, that is unbelievable! Why did they remove their claws?

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Why are their tails docked, anyway? That's not often done with Pits, is it? I never see docked Pits, unless they're fighters. o.O

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Miss New Booty

OMG!!! That's terrible, Mandie!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Playful Pup

that is disgusting!
and sad.
love,
shannon
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Why are their tails docked, anyway? That's not often done with Pits, is it? I never see docked Pits, unless they're fighters. o.O
No, docking tails is not tolerated...not in the show ring and not even in fighters...Fighters don't go after tails...ears yes...that's why they are cropped but tails are NEVER supposed to be docked.
As far as dew claw removal...that is NOT done either with pits...they only have them on the front paws...they don't grow on the back. From way back in the fighting days, dew claws helped in the ring...these days it's still not done.
Why would it be in their best interest to remove dew claws?

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
Removing dewclaws is normal and in the dog's best interest, usually. Declawing a dog? Stupid. Trimming puppy claws? Strange.
Removing dewclaws is NOT normal...why would it be in their best interest? I don't understand...it's like cutting off your thumb!
Trimming puppy claws IS normal...we did that with our litter on a twice a week basis...they grow out so sharp and quickly! It is no different than trimming your adult dogs claws...Now, why they felt the need to advertise that they trimmed their claws...THAT's stupid! It should be a given! But honestly, I would like to know why removing dew claws would be considered normal and why is it in their best interests?
Oh and they don't even look like pit pups to me...

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Removing dewclaws is NOT normal...why would it be in their best interest? I don't understand...it's like cutting off your thumb!
Trimming puppy claws IS normal...we did that with our litter on a twice a week basis...they grow out so sharp and quickly! It is no different than trimming your adult dogs claws...Now, why they felt the need to advertise that they trimmed their claws...THAT's stupid! It should be a given! But honestly, I would like to know why removing dew claws would be considered normal and why is it in their best interests?
Oh and they don't even look like pit pups to me...
Maybe not with Pits, but it is with most dogs. They remove the dewclaws because some dogs get their dewclaws caught on things, and later have to be amputated. My Cattle Dog, Levi, had dewclaws on his front paws. Myrl, my Aussie, has NO dewclaws. I'm not sure if they were removed or if he was born without them.

Removing dewclaws is especially necesary if your dog does anything like running through brush a lot. It's a must for hunting dogs. So far we've been lucky with our Lab, AJ, who goes through the woods with us a lot. If he does something stupid, though...we could have a little emergency on our hands. He has ALL of his dewclaws.

If your dogs have all of their dewclaws and they haven't yet had an injury, consider yourself lucky. I've seen doggies lose their dewclaws while playing out in the woods and things like that. Dewclaw removal is pretty common. I'm not sure how necesary it is this day and age, since not many hunt or take their dogs into the woods, or things like that.

-

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 PM

I believe that only the dewclaws on the back legs are removed on dogs if they are born with them. Many are not born with them. The ones on the front are not supposed to be removed. At least I've never heard of anyone removing front dewclaws.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Really? I have. I see pups advertised A LOT with "all dewclaws removed." I prefer my pups keep 'em, unless I feel that an accident is inevitable. Levi does the cutest things with his dewclaws. I think it's sad how common dewclaw removal is but, what can you do? Aside from educate. At least dewclaw removal is done with the best intentions. Unlike most declawings.

-

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Honestly, I'd never heard of that! I've had a Chow, but she was already 5 when we got her and don't remember if she had dewclaws or not, but 3 golden retrievers (2 from top line breeders, one from a rescue) and all three had/have their dewclaws...actually, I've never seen a dog without them at least on the front...don't usually see them on the backs...I also had a mix that had dewclaws too.

I guess I've never seen any dog that has had them removed and I've never heard of injuries like you describe...I can see them catching on things if they aren't properly trimmed down, but we file the dogs' nails weekly so I guess that might be why I've never seen injuries to them.

Thanks for the info! I still don't think I could do it though

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Miss New Booty

When we got Penny (our dachshund), we noticed she didn't have *thumbs* I asked my vet why that was and she said they were called Dewclaws (I didn't know) and sometimes they remove them for some reason. (I can't recall what she said exactly why, though) It's so sad!!

~* Jackie *~

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Do the other dogs have them Jackie?

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at

Tags
cattle dog, golden retriever, rabbit cage, vet visit