The Most Annoying Trick in the World - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

The Most Annoying Trick in the World

Biscuit has learnt to open doors!!! She is driving me nuts!!!! If the weather is nice I'll leave the front door open and just have the screen door shut....well she has figured out how to open it!!! Thankfully she hasn't figured out how to close it quietly but if I'm ever playing music loud or something I won't hear her get out!! She gets into our bedroom all the time to sleep on our clothes....this is something she can do quietly but she's still in the house so that doesn't bother me quite as much.
I put her outside this morning to give her her breakfast (turkey drumsticks...raw of course) and when I went to check on her she was gone....I had to quickly get changed and ran out to get her....lucky a woman was delivering pamphlets so Biscuit was trotting up the street with her. Little brat....the 'come' command is such a great one for my dog!
I had the back door open with the screen door closed so the bunnies could get some fresh air through.....well within one minute 'bang' the back door goes....Biscuit is outside again!!!!! The back yard isn't dog proofed!!!!
I can't wait to move!! Our bedroom comes off the loungeroom and I' just going to ban her from coming into the loungeroom (like she is banned now so it shouldn't be too hard) so at least she won't be able to run out the front and onto the road....the back door goes out to a fully proofed dog yard so as long as I can get her to stop digging out of the yard I won't have to worry so much anymore!!!
I didn't even teach her how to open doors...she has just picked it up!!! It's something I wish she could unteach herself!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

*laughing* I'm familiar with this annoying trick. Our Lab, AJ, taught himself how to open doors. He LOVES to open the bathroom door while you're on the toilet or in the shower. Just be glad your dog isn't a peeping tom!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well she actually has her crate in the bathroom so she often is in there while we have a shower and likes to lick our legs and feet dry!!! Back in the shower again we go!!
She used to try to come to the toilet with us but she learnt what 'go away' means and now she will stand outside the door and wait for us to come out!!!
It's so annoying but it's quite funny!! I can just imagine what goes through her head...'well the front door is closed tight, I'll just go out the back....she didn't say nothing about not going out there!' My trainer told me she was really smart and would pick up on a lot of things (I've only had her for four months) which I thought was really cool but I'm now thinking a dumb dog that only knows sit, stay, and ocme would have been better!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

She's a little smarty pants! What better place to sleep than on the things that smell like you?

Mine don't open doors - but Max has a lovely habit of jumping at the handle on the sliding glass doors in my kitchen. Those are the doors *everyone* uses to come in and out of my house - I don't even have keys to the side door or front door - when he jumps at the door if I have gone to the mailbox or outside in the yard for something without him? Bam - I've been locked out!

One day I stood there for 5 minutes looking in at him while he sat there staring back at me as if to say "open the door idiot human!" I realized the garage doors aren't locked so thank goodness I was able to open the garage door and come in the house through the laundry room.

Biscuit is a real pistol Carmen! She keeps you on your toes!! She will probably figure out more than just opening doors!!

Roz 2 of my 3 dogs have an absolute bathroom fetiish! They follow me in and if I am in a real umm, hurry -if yanno what I mean - I just close the door behind the 3 of us. They sit and look at me as if it's some great mysterious process. Is there nothing sacred anymore!!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

haha! both of mine do this! they used to open the door to the bathroom when i was in the apt because the door opened IN to the bathroom. now it opens OUT and they can't figure out how to get in! haha! i got em!

btw carm - you said in your first post that your backyard is doggie proof, then said it wasn't. which is it? weirdo!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Uh oh! lol What a crazy thing for her to learn. lol

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Playful Pup

Nicki's got me trained... she just barks at the door as if it'll open by osmosis and I walk over to open it for her! EVERY time!

Now, the one in my house who knows how to open doors is Allen. Pouncer's a quick study though. he can get the bathroom door, but not quite the bedroom or back door like Allen can. CATS!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jane the new house has a dog proofed back yard (we think...I may have to block off under the house but I'm doing that anyway to avoid flea problems) and where we are now is not dog proofed in the back yard!!
Linda she has me on my toes more than you could imagine!!! But you know what....she's a complete sweety and I'm just so grateful to have a dog that has safe bad habits, not a dnager to society. For that I have a little giggle inside but I don't let her know I'm laughing at her!!!
I'm planning on her putting her intelligence to good use!! I want to teach her a whole range of party tricks....the next one I want to teach her is to 'bow'...she can be a ballerina and I think bowing at the end of her ballerina trick (a full circle turn) would be sooo cute!!! She has good balance on her back legs too so I'm going to work on a two legged ballerina with her!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja
Roz 2 of my 3 dogs have an absolute bathroom fetiish! They follow me in and if I am in a real umm, hurry -if yanno what I mean - I just close the door behind the 3 of us. They sit and look at me as if it's some great mysterious process. Is there nothing sacred anymore!!
My cat, Meeko, used to apparently feel that humans need supervision in the bathroom. He insisted on being in the bathroom with us when we used it.

When you have pets, you give up privacy.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Well she actually has her crate in the bathroom so she often is in there while we have a shower and likes to lick our legs and feet dry!!! Back in the shower again we go!!
She used to try to come to the toilet with us but she learnt what 'go away' means and now she will stand outside the door and wait for us to come out!!!
It's so annoying but it's quite funny!! I can just imagine what goes through her head...'well the front door is closed tight, I'll just go out the back....she didn't say nothing about not going out there!' My trainer told me she was really smart and would pick up on a lot of things (I've only had her for four months) which I thought was really cool but I'm now thinking a dumb dog that only knows sit, stay, and ocme would have been better!!!
Welcome to the world of intelligent dog ownership. It's going to be a wild ride

-

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Sorry Carm! I don't mean to laugh, but welcome to the wonderful world of Bully Breeds! Kali figured out how to open the screen and storm doors really quick too...My advice...get a child lock.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
bully breeds, dog owners