Most intelligent breed? Most affectionate? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: What basic breed do you prefer? (Post if other)
Golden Retrievers 10 9.17%
Rottweilers 5 4.59%
Labs 12 11.01%
Border Collies 2 1.83%
Poodles (Standard or toy) 2 1.83%
Bischon Frise 0 0%
Maltese 1 0.92%
Shi Tzu 1 0.92%
I prefer mutts (post varieties) 17 15.60%
Other (Post) 59 54.13%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM

i forgot how cute chows are as puppies!!!!
awwwwwwwww!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:31 PM

I have been handling show dogs for about 20 years. I have been breeding Miniature Schnauzers for about 12 years. I do not suggest these as an undertaking unless you want a lot of grooming, and I mean about an hour and a half before they go into the ring. My favorite group is the terries. They have so much personality and attitude. You can find short hair, long hair, wiry coats just about anything you are looking for. I know I am currnetly on a waiting list for a show bull terrier pup out of Canada. If you are looking to getting into this it is probably best to attend a dog show in your area and just stand back and watch the dogs and the people. Talk to a few breeders and ask them about there breed and there dogs. I have talked to many a person at a show and told them that a terrier is just not the dog for them. So make sure you find a great fir for you your living situation and your time commitment. Good luck and Long Live the Terreir Group.

Linsey
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM

I voted other. The only breed on the list that I like enough to consider owning is border collie, but they are just way to energetic for someone who does not yet have a fenced in yard. My favorite breeds are Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Cardigan Welsh Corgis. It's hard to find a cardigan breeder around here, so we went with the Pembroke. I also adore collies and shelties.

I don't know why I love herding dogs so much, but it seems like that's what all of my faves are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 AM

Sorry, I'm at work and didn't get to finish my post earlier.

I think the reason I like these herding breeds so much is because they are not only beautiful, but also highly intelligent. I've never had a collie or sheltie, but I know that corgi's are very bright. Corgis also have the perfect mix of independence and family orientation. Ein is independent enough that he is fine while we are at work, even when it is all day. He just naps and plays. No seperation anxiety at all. But when I come home, he jumps all over me to greet me and gives lots of kisses and cuddles. The only time we have problems is when it comes to vacation. Corgis, by nature, are family oriented. They expect to be treated like everyone else. Which means Ein goes on vacation with us, because he is happier that way. He CAN be left with family; we just choose not to. (he lays around and sulks, but doesn't exhibit signs of nervousness or separation anxiety. He's just not happy being left out.)

Corgis just seem to be very well balanced in personality, are very intelligent, and don't require a whole lot of grooming. They are perfect for my family.

eta: They are also very friendly with strangers. Pembrokes love meeting people. I have heard that cardigans are a little more reserved with strangers than pems are, but I've never owned one, so I don't know for sure.
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 PM

Ok well I love all kinds of breeds but my favorites are GSD's, Newfoundlands, Great Dane's, and Mastiff's.

I have a GSD who I adore. He's an old guy though. I also have two Newfoundlands who are the light of my life. I just truly prefer the giant breeds myself.
post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 PM

I love my rat terriers- but I aso love pugs, bloodhounds, and neoplitans
post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Mutts have always served me well, particularly my papillon/poodle who is the most loyal pet I've ever owned.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM

I love both my Golden Retrievers and my Scottish Terriers but I can tell you that breeding for the right traits is a TON of work. I own the daughter and the son of the former #2 Golden in America. They came back OFA fair. I spayed and neutered them. So 1500 bucks a piece and two years later I couldn't or at least responsibly chose not to breed them. With my Scotties....the grooming is INSANE! I bought one with an incredible pedigree spent $1500 on her then spent $3000 with a handler to get her Championship in conformation went to breed her and she can't get pregnant. I've certainly had some good luck but just a heads up that breeding can be a ton of work and a ton of heartache. Best of luck in selecting your breed
post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:54 PM

the other i vote for is pomeranians
post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:16 PM

I have also decided now that I need a Portugese Water Dog. They are just fabulous!
post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 AM

I voted for Mutts, I have a Terrier mix and he is just the sweetest lil giant, will post a pic of him as soon as posible, i'm new here , so i'm still figuring how everything works, ya'll take care now, till next time
post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:14 AM

I love Salukis. Its kinda rare to find a breeder. They're so beautifull and sweet. There very intellegent but they wont always obey commands.
post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:01 PM

Like a lot of people that have already posted, I prefer a lot of the larger breeds too. My most favorite would definitely be the Doberman though.
post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 AM

Hmm...overall I think mutts are great but I would never encourage anyone to breed a mutt. There are plenty of them available in shelters and pounds...so I picked other.

I wouldn't breed dogs myself as I am too involved with animal rescue, it just seems counter-productive to me. But IF I did, I'd probably breed Saint Bernards. Except my saint isn't all that smart. But he is such a good boy and laid back. I love his tranquil energy.

If you are serious about breeding in the future, you should go to dog shows. You can meet the different breeds and talk to their owners/handlers.

http://www.akc.org/events/index.cfm?

This site has gathered tons of breeding links and have a lot about genetics.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/bre...av_area=events
post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:55 AM

I like spaniels best of all. I cant help but love their floppy ears. My friends has one and I go round and just coo over her for hours!

Tags
animal planet, animal rescue, australian shepherd, beautiful dogs, border collie, boston terrier, breed dogs, bull terrier, bull terriers, chow mix, collie mix, dog owners, elvis lee, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, german shepherds, golden retriever, human food, jack russel terrier, jack russell, jack russell terrier, king charles spaniel, lap dog, lhasa apso, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pembroke welsh corgi, pit bull, pit bull terrier, puppy mill, puppy mills, rat terrier, reputable breeder, shih tzu, terrier mix, vanilla rat