Most intelligent breed? Most affectionate? - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: What basic breed do you prefer? (Post if other)
Golden Retrievers 10 9.17%
Rottweilers 5 4.59%
Labs 12 11.01%
Border Collies 2 1.83%
Poodles (Standard or toy) 2 1.83%
Bischon Frise 0 0%
Maltese 1 0.92%
Shi Tzu 1 0.92%
I prefer mutts (post varieties) 17 15.60%
Other (Post) 59 54.13%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM

I voted for other.I've olny had 2 dogs but all that I know is I had a beagle, and I have never met a dog like him he would let you do anything you wanted to him, and he would love you! He was like a human he would sleep under the covers every night, with his head on a pillow. And he would always reserve the comfiest spot in the house. But like any beagle he does not train well and doesent respond to your calls when he smells something interesting.
So my favorite right now is a Beagle but we are most likely going to get a Aussie or a Sheltie next.
-Beaglebliss67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglebliss67
I voted for other.I've olny had 2 dogs but all that I know is I had a beagle, and I have never met a dog like him he would let you do anything you wanted to him, and he would love you! He was like a human he would sleep under the covers every night, with his head on a pillow. And he would always reserve the comfiest spot in the house. But like any beagle he does not train well and doesent respond to your calls when he smells something interesting.
So my favorite right now is a Beagle but we are most likely going to get a Aussie or a Sheltie next.
-Beaglebliss67
Beagles are greyt! I work (volunteer) with a beagle rescue and always foster the little guys.I currently have a little one,poor thing had a rough life and is very timid,but she wants to please us so bad and has the sweetest face and eyes!You look at them and you melt!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 AM

I love my labrador to bits, but I'm not sure how intelligent he is! I sometimes think he's the dopiest dog I've ever come across in all my life (in a nice way, of course!!)

I wouldn't swop him for anything - but maybe he was at the end of the "brain cell" queue!!

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I have an australian shepherd/blue heeler mix and a pitt bull and they are two of the smartest dogs I have ever known. German shepherds are pretty good too.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 PM

I'd have to say I like Border Collies most because of their high intelligence.
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 PM

Well, i love most dogs but my favorite would have to be, Miniature Schnauzers, Standard Schnauzers, Giant Schnauzers, Great Danes, Border Terriers, Jack Russel Terriers, Doberman Phinchers(sp?), Pugs, and Blue/Red healers, i think thats it, i like the Schnauzer family because you will never get bored with those dogs, i have minis and they are soo funny, they love to play and are energetic all the time, with a Standard they can jump a six foot wall when provoked but other than that, Giants, you had better be ready for a big dog, they all can get hip displsia(sp?) and the Giant can get OCD,
I love great Danes because they are just big balls of love, and i like big dogs, i don't know that much about them,
Border Terriers are soo cute and they are real loyal, they learn quick too,
Jack Russel Terriers are also cute and i know nothing about them but i've heard they are good dogs,
Dobermans are real protective and if you raise them with children they will not be agressive with them,,
pugs, thay are really good dogs, they get along with others and they are cute, they also have breathing problems, but that is ok
Blue/red healers are great dogs if you live on a spacey place, they will stay with you if you teach them, my cousins have one and she is awsome, she runs the steers and comes running when you call, but she is protective, if you get between my cousins you have better be wearing a steel suit,
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:17 AM

I love all dogs.. mixed breeds, mutts, or pure.. doesn't matter to me, I think there could be character flaws in any breed actually.. but I have a full blood minpin, that I actually found out is inbred cause he came from a puppy farm which depressed me more than it upset me and then I have a full blood chihuahua that I got from a reputable breeder. They have character, I guess that's what I look for in dogs I get.. not breed or whether they are pure or not, just their character. It's good to see someone not wanting to breed dogs for those reasons but to breed for character =)
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:13 AM

Well our family has had Red setters, Lhasa Apsos, Shih Tzus, Yorkshire terriers, Dalmatians and King Charles Spaniels.

Out of all them we found the dalmatians to be the most soppy and affectionate. I have heard that they are supposed to be aggressive but we've had 8 and none of them have been. One did get attacked once though so that made her get a bit protective of us and her mother, she used to try and bite other dogs to protect us.

So yup, out of the 6 breeds we've kept, dalmatians have certianly been the most cuddly.. oh and the Yorkies have been the worst LOL!

Katrina
xxx
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 AM
ang

I voted other.
My breeds are king charles ( known as english toy spaniels in the US) A papillon & cavalier.
I also love Bullmastiffs.

The toy spaniels are ( or good ones should be) very intelligent but stubborn . If you ask them to do something they will ask why, whats in it for me? They choose their owner out of the household & will love them forever. they can get very attached so you can't really go on vacation & they don't do well in kennels. they also have a sence of humor & like to make you laugh..

The down sides are they need regular grooming & bathing & can have health problems such as slipping pattela, epilepsy , wry mouth. heart murmers, cataracts ,gloucoma , phpv & rarely syringomyhelia & episodic falling syndrome.
C sections are common & puppies often have cleft palates , bent tails etc
so not easy to breed

My papillon is very clever , very loving , bossy. She doesn't get dirty , if she goes in mud it just falls off . she doesn't smell or shed & doesn't need a lot of grooming.

They are prone to problems with their teeth & are not easy to housetrain.

Cavaliers love absolutely everyone. They are obedient & will do anything to please you but thats not quite the same as intelligence. Our last one was very sweet but never learn't her own name.
They suffer from heart murmers , syringomyhelia,episodic falling syndrome , eye problems , hip dysplacia , slipping pattella etc
these problems are more severe & common in cavaliers than toy spaniels .
They have also been mixed with other breeds by puppyfarmers so type can vary a lot , I've even known a ruby cavalier with rage syndrome ! probably from being mixed with Eng cockers

Bullmastiffs are a gorgous breed. they can be real clowns or sulk if you annoy them. we've had females & they love & protect the little dogs. They are good with people & kids but due to their size arn't suitable for small children. They think they are little dogs & will try to sit on your knee ,lol
they are not good with housetraining or recall.

I personally wouldn't have a boy as they can be dominant & require careful handling.
I don't know a lot about their specific health problems
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...thanks for the info!I didn't know that about those small breeds.But then again I am more of a large dog person anyway...or medium size!

What is "rage syndrome"??

I knew someone with a bullmastiff and a rottie and the bullmastiff was sooo sweet!The rottie was too,once he got to know you.The bullmastiff was soooo cute too!And they had a young daughter and the dogs were fine around her and protective.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
ang

Rage syndrome is when a dog will suddenly turn for no reason, I think its some kind of epilepsy often seen in solid cockers , this cavalier was dark red in colour , He would be fine one minute then suddenly turn. its like a split personality.

Most Bullmastiffs are really soft & sweet , BUT a 10 stone Bullmastiff could do a lot of damage to a little child just by playing. or if heaven forbid they ever bit . Even a warning snap could do serious damage .
As I said my sisters BM will try to sit on my knee & I've had a them run full pelt into my legs , I never realised my knee's could bend that direction ,lol
So their size is the only reason I say not good for young kids. They are clumsy & don't realise how big they are.
post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Look for poms or german standard spitz

I suggest the pomeranian or better the german spitz... just because its one of the oldest breeds ever and they get very very old. Also dont have many healt issues... by the way... the german spitz isnt recognized as its own breed yet in the states cuz not many ppl have them.... so i would be glad to see more around here... i got one my own... brought him from germany
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Smile My vote for most affectionate breed

Having owned dogs of various breeds all of my life, I first have to say that every dog I have owned has been affectionate, but the Vizsla, by far, would have to be my choice for the MOST affectionate breed.
The Vizsla, also referred to as the "Hungarian Velcro" dog, comes by that description honestly. I currently own a 3-year-old male named "Montana". Montana exemplifies the companion dog. His beautiful amber coat is low maintenance, he is very submissive (even without being neutered), loves to press himself against you when you sleep and gives me best "kisses" of any dog I have ever known. His soft coat is extremely comfortable to touch and he has never had any issues with fleas. Montana's primary requirements are that he has a very soft place to sleep (he WILL find the softest place in the house if you let him) and that you NEVER ignore him. Ignoring Montana will result in the most pitiful chorus of "sounds" you can imagine BOOMING from his mouth until he gets his attention. Montana is extremely vocal and you can tell precisely what he is doing or wants just by the sounds he makes. I say "sounds" because barking plays a relatively minor role in Montana's communication routine. Montana has a very wide range of vocalizations, each with a specific meaning. He sits at eye level with me in the car (I like that) and will even wear a seatbelt. Overall, I think that you cannot go wrong with the Vizsla as an excellent choice for most affectionate dog.
post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I also voted other.
I thought German Sheperds should be on the list too.
I think they are soo soo very intelligent.
I have a Shererd/Chow mix. She is such an AWESOME dog!

Lve Never Fails

post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM

I love yorkshires! but my dream is a pitbull!

Tags
animal planet, animal rescue, australian shepherd, beautiful dogs, border collie, boston terrier, breed dogs, bull terrier, bull terriers, chow mix, collie mix, dog owners, elvis lee, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, german shepherds, golden retriever, human food, jack russel terrier, jack russell, jack russell terrier, king charles spaniel, lap dog, lhasa apso, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pembroke welsh corgi, pit bull, pit bull terrier, puppy mill, puppy mills, rat terrier, reputable breeder, shih tzu, terrier mix, vanilla rat