Most intelligent breed? Most affectionate? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: What basic breed do you prefer? (Post if other)
Golden Retrievers 10 9.17%
Rottweilers 5 4.59%
Labs 12 11.01%
Border Collies 2 1.83%
Poodles (Standard or toy) 2 1.83%
Bischon Frise 0 0%
Maltese 1 0.92%
Shi Tzu 1 0.92%
I prefer mutts (post varieties) 17 15.60%
Other (Post) 59 54.13%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Most intelligent breed? Most affectionate?

I'm asking these questions because, in a few years (closer to 4 or 5) I'm looking into breeding dogs. Not for the cute puppies, or to overpopulate the puppy mills and shelters with puppies, but to try to breed them for optimum health, intelligence, affection, size, perfect show-quality, etc. This is interesting to me as I'm working on biology at the moment, and want to look into genes. Seeing as there are a lot of dog owners here, I thought it would be a good idea to ask a few questions about your favourite breeds and why. Also, it would be helpful to tell me about the optimal diet, excercise, mental stimulation and grooming so that I can make each and every dog that I own in the future very healthy. Once again, if/when I decide to do this big task, I will not give them away to anyone put good homes, and never to shelters. Thank you, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the double post, everyone! My internet went insane. If someone sees this and is able to delete topics, could you please delete the other one?

Sorry again.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:16 PM

I'm a big fan of poodle crosses. I have a male first generation Maltipoo who is the smartest, most affectionate dog I've ever met. His mother is a purebreed poodle & his dad is a purebreed maltese. I think my baby got the best of both breeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes. I'd agree that those little dogs are very intelligent. I myself think that mixbreed pups are much healthier, interesting and intelligent than purebred dogs.
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:25 PM

i like mixed breed dogs!
but it depends on what they are mixed with of course.
sadly i have never been around dogs but rottwhilers (daddy breeds them)
his dogs always had problems with fighting the other dogs. but have always been great with children. very loyal dogs! and they would never let a stranger in the yard. if my dad is not home someone cannot even get out of the car, if they did.... i know they would be missing a leg!
from what i read, i like just about all sighthounds, siberian huskies, and collies.
someday hope to share my life with those breeds.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 PM

I've had two Great Danes and I think they're really great dogs Besides being very majestic and striking looking, they're just great pets. My dog is great with kids and extremely loyal. She's quite affectionate but because of her size, she can't snuggle up the same way other dogs can. Sometimes she forgets her size and tries to sit on you, which can be a problem, lol. We always get tons of attention wherever we go with her. She's been very healthy throughout her life. Great Danes are prone to gastric torsion ("bloat") but when she was getting spayed, she had a preventive gastropexy done so it has never been a problem. Because of her size and breed, we still have to feed her on an elevated surface though. But yeah, I think Great Danes are all around great pets. Might be too big of an undertaking for breeding though since they take up so much space, lol.
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Miss New Booty

I posted "other."

My 2 favorite breeds are dachshunds and papillons ofcourse. I have 2 dachshunds and a papillon. Dachshunds are very smart and are wonderful guard dogs if you need one. They are very attatched to their owners and are loyal. Papillons are affectionate and beautiful dogs, also very smart and the agility exercises I see them do on animal planet, amazing!!

If I had to pick a large breed, I would say German Shepards.

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 PM

I voted for "other"
My favorites are Pitbulls and Newfoundlands. I have two pitties now and my female is by far the smartest dog I've ever owned. My male is the epitomy of "stupid", but in the "I love everyone and everyone HAS to love me" way. I couldn't give them up for the world, however, I wouldn't recommend breeding them. With all the breed bans and overpopulation, it just wouldn't be right.

I've never "owned" a Newfoundland, but I will someday. They are extremely gentle giants and although can be slobbery, they are intelligent and loyal. I've always wanted a Newfie but breeding takes a lot of research, testing, money, time, and work. Because they are a giant breed, they can have heart, hip and elbow problems and their double coats make daily grooming a must.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
I've had two Great Danes and I think they're really great dogs Besides being very majestic and striking looking, they're just great pets.
Great Danes are beautiful dogs....can you post a pic of yours?
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 PM

I like Rotti's they're so ..I don't know the word XD
They're such a handsome and loyal breed, but get a lot of a bad reputation. They just need established rules =3
One day I plan to get a rotti puppy, prolly when I get out of college.
I also like a dog I can put my arms around 8D hmm, I should put a rotti pic I did up here, when I find it...I can find it..really.

Last edited by Fubie; 05-15-2006 at 09:43 PM.
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Great danes are lovely dogs. They are beautiful, and affectionate, and very gentle. I knew a big, black great dane named Laura that was bitten on the hip by a much smaller dog. She had to get nine stitches, the poor girl. She looked so sad about it.
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I think my ausstralian shephard is pretty smart, he knows all his commands with very little effort, plays catch, is always at our side, when I am sick he seems to realize it even before me lol he is great with kids, especially babies...he is very loyal and protective and at the same time loves all other dogs and people...he always walks between me and strangers unless Ashley is with me then he is between her and all other things...lol but I also think my cockapoo is smart she isn't so great on commands yet but is learning very fast, shes 5 but we never did formal training due to my health issues till lately...my yorkie well I just love the silly dog, not so smart but so darn cute its ok

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think Jack Russell Terriers are smart and ours is also very affectionate to us. They can also be a bit snappy so maybe they don't suit everyone but they're definitely my favourite!

post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
Great danes are lovely dogs. They are beautiful, and affectionate, and very gentle. I knew a big, black great dane named Laura that was bitten on the hip by a much smaller dog. She had to get nine stitches, the poor girl. She looked so sad about it.
My Great Dane was also bitten by a small dog! She had a large wound on her leg that needed stitches. I guess it's a common thing for Great Danes to get attacked by smaller dogs, haha. I remember when it happened, she didn't even try to reciprocate. She just slinked over to me with her tail between her legs. So much for being a huge tough dog, lol.

Elvis Lee Mommy, this is my dog Charlotte:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/MVC-069S.jpg
She has a dirty nose from digging in the yard. The dog in the background is Dixie, my Boxer/Bull Mastiff mix. She passed away from Cushing's Disease but she was a really awesome dog. Such a sweetheart. I miss her
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikklegem
I think Jack Russell Terriers are smart and ours is also very affectionate to us. They can also be a bit snappy so maybe they don't suit everyone but they're definitely my favourite!
Hehe... I have 2 as much as I like them I think I'll stay away from intentionally ending up with another

German Shepherd are by far the best breed I've owned and spent long amounts of time around. If I were to buy from a breeder it is probably the breed I'd most want. I like other breeds but I've never been around them enough I think to actually know them (Bull Terriers, Boxers, Pharoah Hounds, Weimaraners, etc.)

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!

Tags
animal planet, animal rescue, australian shepherd, beautiful dogs, border collie, boston terrier, breed dogs, bull terrier, bull terriers, chow mix, collie mix, dog owners, elvis lee, family dog, german shepard, german shepherd, german shepherds, golden retriever, human food, jack russel terrier, jack russell, jack russell terrier, king charles spaniel, lap dog, lhasa apso, mixed breed, mixed breeds, pembroke welsh corgi, pit bull, pit bull terrier, puppy mill, puppy mills, rat terrier, reputable breeder, shih tzu, terrier mix, vanilla rat