mr picky needs new food! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Talking mr picky needs new food!

need suggestions, Im looking for a dog food again spezza isnt really a big fan of his current one but anyways im looking for a food ment for small dogs, that is soft but not wet ? hes like that with his bloody treats as well they have to be soft but not hard and not wet any recommendations ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

You mean the "pouched/moist" foods? Wellness has pouched meals. I haven't tried it(err..my pets haven't), though, so I can't say anything on that. I just know they have pouched food and they're a really good brand. Maybe he doesn't like the pureed form in a lot of canned foods? There's quite a few brands that have real meat chunks canned food like Merrick.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
You mean the "pouched/moist" foods? Wellness has pouched meals. I haven't tried it(err..my pets haven't), though, so I can't say anything on that. I just know they have pouched food and they're a really good brand. Maybe he doesn't like the pureed form in a lot of canned foods? There's quite a few brands that have real meat chunks canned food like Merrick.
he doesnt like dryed food if its hard and hes not really a fan of wet food either. it has to be like moist i guess for both hehe.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
is a little "special"

Chuey loves Taste of the Wild canned food. It has chunks of meat in it with gravy, so it isn't total mush.
He really likes Zuke's mini treats too. Those are moist-ish treats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Chuey loves Taste of the Wild canned food. It has chunks of meat in it with gravy, so it isn't total mush.
He really likes Zuke's mini treats too. Those are moist-ish treats.
Thanks Ill look into this do they sell hard dog food like that to ?

By Anonymous
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
is a little "special"

Yup! I know that the dry food is really high in calories though, so you need to make sure he doesn't gain too much weight from it if you start feeding that. I've just been mixing in a spoon full of the canned food with Chuey's prescription dry food, because that is the only way he will eat it LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ziwipeak is soft, it's kind of like a jerky. Very healthy since it has limited ingredients . It can be pricey but maybe would work mixed with something. Even though it's a dog food, I use it as treats sometimes...that's how much the dogs love it . They make regular treats, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Playful Pup

Many dogs will wolf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog. You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I dont believe in scheduled feedings but thats just me, spezza is free to eat as he pleases he just doesnt isnt really interested in food. I think im gonna look into orijen dog food maybe theyd have something he likes thanks everyone

By Anonymous
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Some need scheduled feedings some will eat until they explode while others are grazers. Messi is a grazer.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
Some need scheduled feedings some will eat until they explode while others are grazers. Messi is a grazer.
sorry not sure what you mean by grazer ?
spezza doesnt really need a scheduled feeling as hes just not really interested in food he eats a little just not a lot and I know that because im with him full time,

By Anonymous
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Grazer/nibbler me thinks.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Betta Bomb

He may not be "interested" in food because he can eat whenever he wants and it's not exciting. Coco used to free-feed too and developed a nasty habit of only eating a meals worth if each piece was thrown down the hall. [we got a bad bug problem as a result of pieces getting lost]...
I would recommend feeding him 2-3 meals a day. I will always only feed holistic and therefore I reccomend only holistic brands (Holistic Blend, Orijen). To make it soft add some water to it in a small tupperware and leave to soak for his next meal. At his next meal, make up his next meal so you always have soft food.

Yogurt is good in small amounts for the probiotics. You may also add garlic powder to the food (not garlic salt).

But my favorite secret ingredient to add to Coco's food is Apple Cider Vineager (with "mother"). It comes in a black bottle and lasts for 4 years or something. It's vile smelling but Coco couldn't get enough. It's like a miracle thing for dogs.. It adds shine to their coat, helps stablise stomach flora- so worms and bad bacteria don't want to go there, it gives them energy.. I cannot remember all the benefits. I bought mine in Loblaws in the regular vinegar isle. Just make sure it's in a black bottle and says it contains "mother"..!!

Keeping scheduled meals will encourage Spez to come to his "master" and make it easier to train. It will also regulate what he eats, how often and it's a great bonding exercise. I used to wake up, walk Coco, come home, feed him.. Then during the day he got treats. Before bed he would go for another walk, come home and get fed again.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

That is true. ACV also helps repel fleas(fleas don't like the taste of blood that's been "tainted" with ACV), and it also treats urinary infections. You can also use it yourself as a hair rinse if you practice No-Poo. My bottle isn't black though, maybe that's just the company that sells to Canada.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

My bottle isn't black either. And make sure to get Raw ACV. They sell ACV that isn't "Raw" and I don't think that works as well as a supplement.

I use a kind called "Bragg" that you can buy at GNC. It's raw and organic. This is it...
http://bragg.com/products/bragg-orga...r-vinegar.html
A bunch of other dog owners recommended that kind to me when I was first looking into using ACV as a supplement.

I give it to my dog Kitsune but he actually hates the taste, so he'll only eat it if I mix it with something to disguise the flavor.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 03-04-2012 at 08:59 AM.