mulch problem ~ eating! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Arrow mulch problem ~ eating!

Gambler is about 3 months old now and he's really taking a liking to grabbing wood peices of mulch. I keep a watch on him all the time , I just keep telling him NO and taking it out of his mouth , but he just continues to grab it and run from me now! I also give him lots of other safe chew things but he desires the mulch so much.
I'm really afraid he'll block up his gut so I don't like giving up on this problem. I just thank God he doesn't eat the river rocks in the yard.
Anything I can do besides removing all the mulch? which would be a major pain in the butt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Linda, I had the same problem with Max and mulch! On a couple of occasions it seriously scared me because I know that some wood chip mulch can be poisonous. Max had a couple of episodes of vomiting because of munching on mulch.

It's so hard to keep your eyes on them every second and it's amazing how quickly they can get into something - like mulch.

I agree, removing it all would be a total pain, not to mention wreck your landscaping. Is there a way you could maybe get some cheap chicken wire, or deer mesh and stake it up around the mulched areas?

It might be enough to at least give you a chance to get to him before he figured out how to get at the mulch through the mesh or chicken wire.

Good Luck! Mulch is a definate danger to dogs.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

This does not sound easy to fix! I think Id rather remove the mulch than put wire down. I no he was trying to puke the other night in his crate, maybe mulch had something to do with it. Would you know if that very popular orangy color mulch is dangerous ? It's over a year old and lost lots of it's color but I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. Not cedar though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Linda, I remember seeing a thread about poisonous mulch- let me see if I can find it and post the link.

I know that ingesting anything that can't be digested poses a risk for intestinal obstruction, not to mention just plain gastric upset, especially in a young pup. I couldn't tell you what particular mulch is poisonous.

It would make sense to me that any mulch that is treated with chemicals to make it last longer and decompose slower would be especially dangerous.

Lemme see if I can find that thread!

[center]

[
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here is the thread I found....

It doesn't sound like the type of mulch you have in your yard is the specific mulch that is mentioned in this thread, but I still think that any mulch eating should be strongly discouraged

Thread on Poisonous Mulch

[center]

[
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sure you know this but the ER person in me needs to tell you to watch for any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of stool, abdominal tenderness or lethargy. At the first sign of any, have him checked out for a blockage.

Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:30 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

linda lee my dog eats everything!! I don't even know half of the things that he eats. He ate frontline once (not the packaging, he spat that out once he was done) and he never gets sick!! I rushed him to the vets after the frontline incident and no signs of poison!!! He has eaten cottonballs, metal bolts (found that out when picking up his poos!) whatever is in sight...with a bit of luck your dog will too have iron cast organs and mulch won't be a problem!lol I know this wasn't much help, but I just thought I'd tell you cause evn know I wouldn't allow him to eat it he might never get sick from it anyway

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have to say that I've spent a fortune at the vets with my Goldens bone/leg problems and injuries, so I just am the biggest worry wart about everything with Gambler. Therefore guess what I'll be doing today? lol. Removing all the mulch in the back yard. At least I've got a nice day to do the wonderful job.
The Lab at the barn where my horse is- she eats everything that's as rotten as can be! Road kill that's months old- rotten food from a dumping area at a farm. This dog just never has a problem that I know about. I would never have that kind of luck with a dog - I don't even like when my dogs pick up a worm! Ekkkk- how gross.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yeah mulch can be very dangerous, its probably best that you picked it all up And worms and things like that are sooo gross! Ha ha...Max and Har always have to check out evry single slug on the ground when I let them out at night! Its so sickening!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

LL, I'm glad you are able to remove the mulch. Better safe than sorry, right?

Give Gambler a kiss from me!

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I did remove it around some trees but than I found a wire fence rolled up in shed and just layed it over my garden against the house- it worked great, and I stapled it to the railroad ties also . I'm just a little short on the fence and need to go dig up something else in shed. After I get this problem solved I wonder whats next, lol.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

oh gosh Linda - what a lot of work! I think the wire fencing will be good in the long run.

What's next I think about that every day!!

Good job Linda - at least you have thwarted Gambler's mulch fixation!!

Give the little cutie a belly rub for me

[center]

[
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

"what's next?" That's always the question isn't it?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes -that's true Becki! I think I know what's next- shrub prunning till everything in the back is bald! I have a burn bush(use to have 2) that never got a chance to grow until the last 2 years- Beau would prune it back to nothing- Now it looks nice this fall(finally) and I don't think it's going to survive another puppy attack!

Ok I'll give Gambler a belly rub- today he deserves it, much less stressfull with all the mulch covered.

Tags
chicken wire