Must Lick! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cool Must Lick!

Gumbo has a licking obsession. He'll do it for 5, 10 mins at a time if I let him. He licks his legs, paws, and manly parts. He had a bath last week using a moisturizing shampoo - his skin doesn't appear dry or otherwise irritated.

We're waiting to hear from his original owner if they'd used a fleat treatment on him, as we don't want to overdose him. I found one flea in the whole time he's been here and haven't found any since, despite my constantly running my fingers through his fur.

Suggestions? Is it just habit? Something else?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I think that it is just a normal behavior. How old is he again? He seems too young to have a compulsive disorder yet.
Moose constantly spins in a circle with a blanket and then settles down to a nap while sucking on this twisted cone that he creates. That is a strange behavior, but I just figure he's a weird little dog.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

AJ had a habit of licking himself a little too thoroughly.

His past owners were less than attentive of him and his needs. He got fleas and no one took care of them. He developed a flea allergy, and began to lick incessantly. Since he dealt with this for so long (the first few years of his life) it became a habit, even once the fleas were gone and his hair had grown back.

He'd nibble on himself too much, too. We still had to scold him for that from time to time. We did not need a bald dog! He looked elderly enough.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

penny, my yorkie, licks herself like a freaking cat! haha. i wouldn't worry about it. now my other one, chaquita, will lick and knaw on her foot. that is an anxiety thing. but just general licking? i wouldn't worry about it. more pics!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 01:35 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

All my doggies are lickers to an extent. Snooper more so. She likes to *wash* Tito's face. Of course he lays there like he's in heaven. None of the kiddies have fleas, I think they just like to clean themselves. If Gumbo's skin isn't dry, then I would say it's fine. Hey! What kind of shampoo did you get? (brand name) I've got a really good oatmeal one that I've used that is a good moisturizer.

And on the gross side, Tito likes to lick Manto's lips. Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I know that's a really bad visual!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Max is a major licker too...he will lick hisself over and over again...but he is also a major licker when it comes anything else too, especially people...he will lick the air by you just to lick ya...even if he doesnt get to actually lick you, he is content with the air around you...lol...and he never stops...lol...just licking away until he thinks he got all the air around ya nice 'n licked. Haha...we used to think he had some compulsive disorder, because other than himself and people, he would lick the walls, the floor, the furniture...just anything he could lick. Now I just think he is a dork dog...haha.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dante likes to lick, and the sound anoys me eventually ( I know, I know...). I taught him the comand "enough" and it stops him, then I usually offer him a distration. Also good for exsessive licking of guests who don't appreciate it.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Playful Pup

Serene will lick herself for a REAAAALLY long time, then she gets up and there's a big wet patch where she was lying b/c she'll lick the couch all around herself too. Jersey chews on one of her back feet alot. There's nothing wrong with her foot, it just seems to be habit! She also sucks on the corner of her blankie at night. We have to be careful with Serene though b/c she's so compulsive, if there's any irritation, she'll lick it till she gets a hot spot (or she'll lick Jersey till she gets a hot spot!!)