My 5+ yr old jack russel keeps peeing in the house. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

My 5+ yr old jack russel keeps peeing in the house.

I have a 5+ yr old full breed jack russel named Emma. She has a problem... I am currently out of work since my accident but not for much longer, but since I have moved back home she keeps peeing in the kitchen. I usually let the dogs in the yard a few times a day and leave them out there for 15-20 min.. I guess she isnt going pee in the yard because i dont really give the dogs much water ( they eat the snow) and she goes in the house.
The dogs were never house broken and my ex-gf was usually home daily, I had always put puppy pads down in the kitchen but since i moved back in 10 weeks ago i havnt put them down again. I am trying to break the need for them. For the most part Rascal (jug) doesnt go in the house. I really am clueless what to do. I love my dogs, there like my kids but it is getting to the point where i will end up leaving her in the crate by herself all day. They are gonna be in there all day when ever i go back to work, i cant trust them not to destroy the house when im not home.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Michael,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Hello Earthling

Well them not being house broken is the problem.

Start taking them out often and praising them every time they pee (or poop) outside. Also take them for long walks and again praise them when they relive themselves.

Also crate training is not a bad idea. A crate should be a 'happy' place for the dog and should never be used as punishment.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you need to take it out on a leash, stand n walk around until they potty and then praise.

If they are used to the piddle pads they may be less likely to go out.

Plus if they used the piddle pads, and missed, that smell is still there for them making them want to use it again and again.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
you need to take it out on a leash, stand n walk around until they potty and then praise.
I second this. You can't just let her out and expect her go, you need to make sure she is and praise her. Treat her like you would a new puppy--don't let her out of your sight in the house (and crate her when you're doing something) and take her out frequently. Use treats to motivate her if needed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
peeing in house