My 9 week old shih-poo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Kelly15

Angry My 9 week old shih-poo

Ace will not eat his dog food. He acted like he liked it a few times but after a day or so he quit eating it. I then changed his food and he still wont eat. Yesterday i decided to see if he would eat a hot dog, just to see if he was hungry and he scarfed it down. Now today he wont even eat that. Im really worried and dont know if i should try another dog food, or just wait to see if he gets hungry enough to eat the one he has.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Try wetting his food with warm water? It's important that he eat, small dogs often have trouble regulating their blood sugar as puppies. If he still won't eat, a call to your vet is a good idea.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jade; 12-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My dachshunds are picky little brats sometimes. When they were little, I could barely get them to eat. I noticed if I sat with them during their feeding time they did better. They used to get distracted easily as puppies and ignore their food. Another thing you could try is this stuff called "Vita Gravy". My dogs love that stuff and will scarf down their food if I put that on.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

Do you leave food down all the time? If you do I would stop. I also wouldn't change every time he dislikes it. You want to have set meal times for him. Give him food at the first feeding, if he doesn't eat after 15 mins take it away. Wait until the next feeding to put down. You can give your dog a supplement to prevent blood sugar issues in the mean time without giving in to a picky eater. If you start leaving food all the time, changing it or adding stuff you will be reinforcing the behavior. A vet check could also be in order as another mentioned. Even if your dog ate a hot dog sometimes ill feeling dogs will eat a yummy treat but still not eat their food. It is because they feel bad, their stomach is a little upset.

Check Them Out

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I agree with Jade that if you are worried you should see a vet, but most little dogs are finicky, really they are lol...but don't keep changing it...try the wetting it and maybe mix a little wet food with the dry...its wierd how dogs work if the food isn't a good quality they love it lol but if its a high quality food they don't want it lol sorta like some kids and veggies I guess lol...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley