My boxer is agressive on our walks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

My boxer is agressive on our walks

Hello everyone,

I am hoping one of you may be able to help me because our dog trainer isn't much of help.

I have a 8 months of boxer that anytime I take him for a walk, we get to a stretch of an area where he starts to attack me. Yesterday, it was so bad that he almost teared the sleeve of my coat off. He tries to bite me and get up on me.

I don't know what to do.

Any other time, he is excellent dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yikes! That's a hard one. Has anything happened when you were on a walk there before? Is there something he could be afraid of? When did he start doing that...or has he always done it?

Without knowing specifics, I would recommend some soft of leader collar like this one: http://www.dog.com/ItemDetail.aspx?I...69%20PET%20BLK . This could stop him. I have a feeling that there is some sort of fear that is causing him to do that. Is he attacking each time you come to a certain area or is it after a certain amount of time? Try to give some more details and think if there are any common factors or patterns. Maybe some others have ideas.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

is your trainer a behavorist if not go and see one

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

It just started last month; we have walked through that way many times before and he just started. 4 out of 5 times that we walk by that area he will attack me.

There is really nothing obviously in the area that would cause him to beheave that way. There are only houses and a little play ground.

The funny thing is that he doesn't attack my husband when they walk through that area. Since this has been happening, my husband has been walking Kasey through there 3 times a day and he hasn't once attacked him yet.

We tried the gentle leader but it was so bad walking him because he keeps trying to take it off and we were tripping over him. It was redicules so we got rid of and got the body harness.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

wow...my dogs have never attacked but they did start jumping up on me during walks when they were unsure of kids playing, we bought them the anti-jump harnesses to help with it...I wish I knew some advice for you, I know others here will...good luck and I hope it improves for you quickly

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wow that's weird.

I wonder if something happened when you walked him there before? Like maybe you accidently stepped on his foot, or something and he remembers it and thats why he acts that way? That's strange that he does it to you but not your husband. I hope you figure things out.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Just an update:

I was telling my co-worker about my dilemma and she suggested putting a prong collar on Kasey on our walks. She gave me one of hers and showed me how to use it. She thinks Kasey is trying to dominate me.

This week on our walks, I put the prong collar on Kasey. On the first day, when he started to attack me and I pulled on the leash, causing the prong to pinch him; he seemed very surprised. He stopped immediately and sat down; our walk was good after that.

The next day on our walk, he started to attack me again and I pulled on the prong and he stopped immediately and listened to every command I gave him.

I am happy to same, the last two days, he hasn't attacked me. I am going to continue to use the prong for a few more days and than stop using it and see what happens.

Thank you all for your comments.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM

*congrats*! I hope all works out! And keeps working out!! lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

hope things keep getting better its great he's listening to you now

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's really great! Other things that can help you assert dominance are: not letting him sleep in your bed, having certain feeding times (after you eat), making him sit or do something to get his food, etc. I'm not sure how big an 8mo old boxer would be, but you can also try putting him on his back at home in a submissive position. I do this to my dachshund (lol easier to control) and then I scratch his belly when he relaxes. I'm really happy you found something that worked out. Now all we need are pictures! I bet he's a cutie!

oh by the way, have you had him neutered yet? Neutering can help with curbing alpha behaviors...not to mention the other fun things male dogs do

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------