My boyfriend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question My boyfriend

Hi everyone! i need some advice since you's always help me !
Well my bf lives on his own, though im there everyday and most nights, hes got 2 cats there but he also works an 8 hr shift.
Well he said to me he wants to adopt a dog, hes wanted one for a while and he asked me because ive had alot of experiance with dogs. He can support the dog if he were to adopt as hes a team manager and hes 21 so he knows what he would be doing. But ive had a few worries. Well his/our cats are indoor cats and if he was to get a dog how would he let it go to the toliet while hes out at work, as he cannot leave the backdoor open because of the cats? He would be walking it 2-3 times a day as hes very active already, but for me as i cannot be there all the time as im starting college and hes at work.. how would it work out? He said hes NOT going to rush into it, until he knows everything he needs to do as hes responsible but could you's please give me advice so i can let him read this, so if he was to take the step of adopting one?
Thanks guys

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello Earthling

If you potty train the dog it can hold it for 8 hours, of course puppies can;t hold it as long as with older dogs. Dog my dogs are home alone and have no problem holding it.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thank you kayla. I just need all the advice i can get to show him, incase he makes the wrong step.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Have a plan of how you want the household to operate BEFORE the dog gets there! Is he allowed on the furniture or not? Will he sleep in a crate or in the bedroom or somewhere else? Does he get treats from the table? Etc. If you're not sure what you want from him when he gets there, he will be confused. Make sure you can devote extra time to training him at the beginning. If you teach him the rules right from the start he won't develop bad habits and you will set him up for success.

PS. I know things can go flying out the window once the dog is there and you find out what works and what doesn't, but I think it's a good idea to at least have an idea of how you want things to work.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats

Last edited by mtmaughan; 07-23-2009 at 10:05 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

that's great your boyfriend wants all the information and is responsible

Does your boyfriend know what breed he wants?
As a puppy, it will take time to potty train and socialize. Perhaps you may want to consider adopting a potty trained adult dog?
A big and active dog like... a husky, is going to need to be walked and run a lot during they day, otherwise if he's bored he might chew up all the furniture!

you got great advice on here, and as well as thinking up things for a dog in general, look up the breeds you like! It might be good to find someone who has been foster-caring a dog for a few months and really knows its personality!