My dog is afraid of his water bowl? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My dog is afraid of his water bowl?

I have a 4 year old St. Bernard, Kodiak, who has been on pain medication for the last two weeks. About a week ago, he stopped going anywhere near his water bowl. With his limp, we assumed that maybe it was the location of the bowl, and it was too hard to get to. If we bring the bowl to him, he moves away from it. We can get him to drink from a spray bottle, from a large oral syringe, or from a different bowl.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of behavior in a dog before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

could it be hes afraid of the bowl ? i know with spezza if the bowl is a metal bowl that he can see himself in he wont drink from it.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It is a metal bowl, but it's the same bowl he's drank from for his entire life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiocerk View Post
It is a metal bowl, but it's the same bowl he's drank from for his entire life.
does it slip by any chance ? theres a chance hes scared to be to wobbly and it slide. try putting a mat under it see if it helps .

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i'd just get a different bowl i guess. It could have dropped and made a loud noise, their could have been a bee in it that stung him, he could have fallen when trying to get a drink. Who knows? but if he drinks from a different bowl i would just let him.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Good idea to try other new bowl, hope he doesn't develop some kind of phobia with things.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, if he drinks from other bowls I'd just get him a new bowl.

My dog doesn't like metal bowls either. He used to eat out of them, but got to the point where he stopped and if we put his food in a metal bowl he wouldn't eat it, but if we put it in a ceramic bowl he would. I'm pretty sure with my dog that he just doesn't like the sounds that metal bowls make. The sound of his metal ID tag banging against the metal bowl while he ate seemed to bother him and a few times I dropped his bowl and the sound it made hitting the floor really freaked him out.

We just switched and got him all ceramic bowls and have never had any bowl issues since.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Is your bowl raised? Maybe your dog feels pain when trying to drink.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Raised on a step-stool, and has been since he was tall enough to drink from it up there. We've swapped the bowl out for a plastic one, but it's a weird thing.

Tags
dog, medication, water