My Dog Becomes a Statue on His Walks....Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My Dog Becomes a Statue on His Walks....Help

Just like the title says, he's very excited to go for the walk, but at certain points at his walk, whether he is 30%, 50%, 75% completed, he stops. He's a greyhound so I understand that he is not accustomed to taking walks, he's more accustomed to being brought from point A to point B. We asked an animal behaviourist for suggestions that is very familiar with greyhounds and he suggested "Because he's still new to this (we had him only since July) just wait for him to become familiar with his surroundings so stop with him, reassure him that it's ok, and then when he's comfortable he will continue on - so your walks will be 10 mins longer." Well, this tactic doesn't work either. He does it to my boyfriend more often than he does it to me, but it's really becoming a hindrance. We end up dragging and coaxing him home with his harness (it would just be too much of a pull on his collar).

Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage his walking? I take him on different routes, he has no problem walking, but just gives up I think when he realizes it's the route home. There is nothing bad that has happened to him at these points of stopping, he isn't afraid...I just have no idea what to do. Needless to say for now, he'll be relegated to running in the backyard, which he absolutely loves to do. If this is the case, do I really need to take him for walks then? Is that the solution entirely?? Thanks for your input.

Look Into My Voice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bump bump....nothing???

Look Into My Voice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

i love sighthounds. greyhounds being one of my favorite i have done research. if he has a big back yard to run in and he is not overweight than it should be fine. i dont know why he stops on his walks. wish i could help you there. maybe he would like it if you jogged or ran. maybe even attach the leash safely to the bike so he could run along side it. perhaps he just doesnt like walking??

ps: i would love to see pics of you greyhound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ratty - that's sort of what I was thinking, maybe he has enough exercise that he doesn't feel like he should walk. I have bad knees from running track and riding horses in my younger days so jogging or biking is not in the cards.

Here he is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg incaredit.JPG (16.5 KB, 4 views)

Look Into My Voice
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

hes so cute...my dog used to stop...just stop dead as she knew we were getting close to home lol so I would turn around and walk around again with her till she started towards home, she just wasn't ready...

other times I took a treat with me to maybe give her incentive...I hope all works out

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hmmm, we'll try. I'd like to trick him into going home but there is only one route home, so maybe that's how he knows lol. He's actually going to the vet tomorrow because he hasn't been feeling so good, so I'll ask about the walking situation when I'm there and see what suggestions the vet has...if that's even possible lol

Look Into My Voice
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

aww hope the little sweet starts feeling better!!!!
such a bueatiful dog!