my dog bit my son last night - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:39 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

My advice is to never have any dog around a child without you being, you know, right there next to them. you should never disturb a dog eating, even a baby. They should not be close at feeding times as it is natural for a dog to fight for food.

You do not have to give the dog away, as it was an accident. Now that you know to be more careful, there probably will not be another incident. Too many dogs are being given away over the same things, thinking the dog will attack from now on. I can understand that the situation must be scary in any situation, but a Dog is just reacting like a Dog. And putting him down is a bad idea as he was just doing what is natural to the dog, the dog sould never die for acting like a dog. PLEASE do not have the dog put down. Just take precautuions, and you do not have to wait till your son is in bed to feed the doggy, just keep your son away.

And as your son grows up, teach him never to disturb a dog while eating (or with a chew toy, or bone etc ...) or to run at a dog, you know how crazy kids can be. This frightens some dogs and can react with a bite. Any dog can do that, and it is just better to be safe. Once again, never let your son near the dog while eating, chewing on a toy he would be protective of, etc ... Sorry to here of the bite!! I hope your son is okay!! Please let us know on how it goes

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 04-17-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Sara I'm glad that you have worked out something that is working for your family right now! Good luck with everything!

Geisha Girl I don't mean to start a debate (it's not my intention) but I have to disagree. I don't believe that Sara's dog deliberately biting her son was an accident. Yes he may have had his reasons (ie. proctecting his food) but that's not an accident. Food aggression can be the start of other types of aggression for dogs. Sometimes they can start off being proctective of their food, then it's a toy, then it's all their toys, then they don't like anyone being near their bed etc. etc. You can validate all these reasons and a lot of times this can be fixed with the correct trianing but Sara also has a son to think about. I would like to know how you could teach a 13 month old to stay away from a dog? An older child, one that can understand what's going on yes, but without locking the dog up (like Sara is doing when she's the only one there) I imagine it would be almost impossible to monitor that with such a young baby in the house. I also believe that a child growing up with pets should be able to run and play with their pets without the fear of being bitten. I have a 4 1/2 month old and she is totally in love with our dog. Everytime she sees her she cracks up laughing, and the dog doesn't even have to be doing anything. I know that once she gets moving she's going to be all over our dog. You're right, kids are unpredictable and that's why it's important to have pets that can cope with this. We have spent a lot of time preparing our dog for when our daughter gets to the tail pulling stage etc.
I doubt that if you spoke to an animal trainer/behaviourist that any of them would say that it's okay for a dog to bite when protecting something that is theirs and that it wasn't something that needed to be corrected.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with RSbunny.It is hard to keep a young kid away from a dog unless you ban one or the other to a room...

Chloe is almost 2 yrs old and she loves the foster dogs I take in.She laughs at them when they run around and is always around them.She is learning to respect animals.

Yeah, dogs shouldn't be aggressive to humans over their possessions, as that leads to other problems, as RSbunny said.The current foster dog I have now is not aggressive at all.I can stick my hands around her dish and toys and everything.She knows I am "higher" in the pack.

There are times when you need to put your hands in their dishes, like what if you drop something in it...thats just an example.

But when a dog shows aggressive behavious toward humans, that is not good.

Dawna, do you remember how Riley was??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:07 AM

You should be able to safely pick up a dog's food while he is eating without any aggression showing. I don't think that it is usual dog behaviour.

Is he food aggressive with everyone? If so, I recommend hand feeding him.

Yours is a tough position to be in. Good luck.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

hey guys thanks for all your concern advice and support.

geisha girl-please don't take me for a newcomer to dogs. i have had them all my life. we know to keep kids away from dogs when they are eating but at the same time i should not have to worry about a trip to the e.r. b/c my son got to close to my dog. i have to agree with the others that any aggresion is a bad thing. please don't think i am trying to attack you cause i'm not i just disagree. the decision has not been an easy one it's been anything but and there have been lots and lots of tears shed. my pets are part of my family not something i get rid of when i'm sick of them. at the same time my children and others children and their safety have to come first. i cannot have them in the same room without constant supervision. i am currently trying to rehome him to someone without kids so he doesn't have to live with such restrictions but until then there is nothing i can do. do you have any kids? if not it may be hard to understand until you do. the other concern is that this was no warning nip. this was an aggresive bite no two ways aboout it. if it had been a nip i wouldn't be as concerned, but there was a gaping hole in my sons hand along with 2 puncture wounds on the top of his hand. again please don't think i'm attacking you i just feel strongly. as much of an animal lover that i am i am a mother first. we just adopted a 6mo. old border collie mix and i can stick my hand in his bowl take it away do what ever i want and there is no reaction what so ever. my son pulled his bone out of his mouth the other day he uses the dog to stand up on plays with his toes or basically anything that he wants and i don't worry at all about it. that is just the way i need my dogs to be with children.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:01 PM

sara8 my heart goes out to you, i know it was a hard decision. But you are right your child is your first concern. Bless you and your family.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM

Okay, do you give him attention during the day(the dog) or do you just keep him locked up? I had a dog the did not like my brother so what i did was i sat down on the couch next to my brother and she got up next to me and i could feel that she didnt like to be so close to him so we sat there and watched lady and the tramp(her favorite movie) and towards the end of the movie i got up to go to the bathroom and when i came back she was laying in his lap and had her tounge out. i guess she just didnt trust him but w/e. so if you would like to try that i say keep a VERY careful eye on both of them and dont get up to do whatever, if you do take the baby with you.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sara, how is your son's hand doing now??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Sara, how is your son's hand doing now??
it has actually almost completey healed. today was the first day that i left the bandages off. up until now i had to put a band-aid on it and then wrap for extra protection and padding. thanks for asking.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appagirl
Okay, do you give him attention during the day(the dog) or do you just keep him locked up? I had a dog the did not like my brother so what i did was i sat down on the couch next to my brother and she got up next to me and i could feel that she didnt like to be so close to him so we sat there and watched lady and the tramp(her favorite movie) and towards the end of the movie i got up to go to the bathroom and when i came back she was laying in his lap and had her tounge out. i guess she just didnt trust him but w/e. so if you would like to try that i say keep a VERY careful eye on both of them and dont get up to do whatever, if you do take the baby with you.
yes i go up there to see how he is doing and to let him know i still love him and to let him outside. then at night when my husband gets home he can come out cause then i have more help watching them. as for working with him, i think he is having a problem figuring out or accepting that my son is above him in our pack. i also think he is old and crabby and not up for a little kid anymore. not to mention i just don't trust him anymore. the home i have in mind for him is wonderful and he would be treated like royalty there. she is an animal lover and is a dog groomer so she would know how to handle him.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Really sorry to hear that.
I would try keeping the dog away from the child at all times.. I think there's a good chance they might get along when he gets a little older. You might also regret putting him down or getting him another owner.

Tags
animal lover, animal planet, beagle paws, border collie, border collie mix, chew toy, collie mix, humane society